Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Philadelphia is close to Pennsauken.
Hopes summed it up.. They ain't going to Philly

"Cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh don't "poach" businesses because it's more expensive to do business in the bigger cities compared to the suburbs."

Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Cherry Hill is not a small town. It's a suburb that prospered only by drawing residents and businesses from Philadelphia. So, if the reverse were to happen, I wouldn't feel bad for poor little Cherry Hill.

Trust me. Cherry Hill don't gave a crap about Philly and their residents. They don't need to 'draw' from across the bridge

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its a complicated business

Oddly enough they may be moving to Camden neither Philly nor CH
I don't see what it being a "complicated business" has to do with anything.

Not one single mention that Philadelphia should try to lure the company or that they deserve to get the company headquartered in the city. That's not a bit odd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
all of us who go to the Cherry Hill Mall have passed the Subaru USA HQ. It IS pretty small and pathetic, though I admit that I've never driven up to the building to see if there's a Subaru museum or anything like that.

as big as that company has become in this country, they deserve a nicer area with more square footage
Like a Center City office building, for example.

Quote:
Philadelphia is close to Pennsauken.
Exactly!

Quote:
Cherry Hill is not a small town. It's a suburb that prospered only by drawing residents and businesses from Philadelphia. So, if the reverse were to happen, I wouldn't feel bad for poor little Cherry Hill.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Hopes summed it up.. They ain't going to Philly

"Cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh don't "poach" businesses because it's more expensive to do business in the bigger cities compared to the suburbs."
Sorry frank but you're not savvy on the situation so don't try to talk like you know what's going to happen.

Quote:
Trust me. Cherry Hill don't gave a crap about Philly and their residents. They don't need to 'draw' from across the bridge
That's funny because that's exactly what they did and continue to try to do.

Last edited by UDResident; 02-11-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Furthermore, Philadelphia could easily offer Subaru a tax break or some other incentive to go along with the MANY benefits of being in a big, vibrant city over being in a suburb of it. I highly doubt the many employees at their headquarters would rather be in suburban New Jersey than a big city.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Frank, don't be so smug. Cherry Hill, and South Jersey in general, is very intertwined with Philadelphia. What happens in the city greatly affects South Jersey, which always has been, and always will be, a bedroom community.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its a complicated business

Oddly enough they may be moving to Camden neither Philly nor CH
By the way... if they do in fact move to Camden city and have their up to 900 employees they want to have at their HQ in the city then I consider that as good an outcome as if they were in Philadelphia. At least Camden actually needs something like that.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Furthermore, Philadelphia could easily offer Subaru a tax break or some other incentive to go along with the MANY benefits of being in a big, vibrant city over being in a suburb of it.
And yet the cities rarely do this. If anyone is upset about businesses not being attracted to the cities, be upset with the politicians who manage the cities poorly.

Quote:
I highly doubt the many employees at their headquarters would rather be in suburban New Jersey than a big city.
Why would you assume that? I worked for a company in Cranberry Township that relocated its offices to Downtown Pittsburgh. All of the employees complained. Their transportation expenses increased, and their commute times more than quadrupled. They were perfectly happy working in the suburbs. Comparatively, commuting to the city was a big hassle and expense.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Chery Hill is a bedroom community first and foremost. While it's arguably not quite the "place to be" it was in the 70s and 80s, it's still a very stable and conveniently-located middle to upper middle class community. Also, it's not like Subaru was Cherry Hill's only non-retail business presence. There are still more corporate centers and office parks than you can wave a stick at.

As far as "poaching" and "stealing" goes, all's fair in love and business, and Subaru will end up where Subaru needs to go. I'd love for that place to be Philadelphia proper, and hopefully the City will be able to offer the business incentives necessary for that to happen.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
And yet the cities rarely do this. If anyone is upset about businesses not being attracted to the cities, be upset with the politicians who manage the cities poorly.

Why would you assume that? I worked for a company in Cranberry Township that relocated its offices to Downtown Pittsburgh. All of the employees complained. Their transportation expenses increased, and their commute times more than quadrupled. They were perfectly happy working in the suburbs. Comparatively, commuting to the city was a big hassle and expense.
Actually, they do. Philadelphia doesn't nearly as much as its suburbs do to it, but other big cities have no problem doing that. Actually, people should be upset at the places that lured those companies away in the first place.

This isn't Western PA.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Actually, they do. Philadelphia doesn't nearly as much as its suburbs do to it, but other big cities have no problem doing that. Actually, people should be upset at the places that lured those companies away in the first place.

This isn't Western PA.
The other real difference here is that Cherry Hill is leaps and bounds closer to Philadelphia than Cranberry is to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia