Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wondered if there is a benefit to do business in New Jersey.

Best/Worst States for Business 2011 | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

According to this, Pennsylvania is a better state for doing business. Not by much though.
Pennsylvania as a state does it to parts of New Jersey. Not to South Jersey though. Not because they like South Jersey but because they frankly don't give a crap about Philadelphia or any part of SEPA outside of parts of Bucks, Montgomery, a tiny sliver of Delaware, and parts of Chester County. I'm sure that if they could move jobs from South Jersey to Central PA or NEPA then they would.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Having said that, we really could use those who believe in education to stick around to push for it in the city. Large swaths of Philadelphia have a culture that is indifferent or hostile to education. If we can't manage this, we need to at least manage the areas that do have people who have a culture of caring for education in order to keep them around and invested in the city.
Totally agree. Most cities seem to have this problem. The people who stick around are the ones who can afford private schools, and that doesn't help the public schools. Pittsburgh created the Pittsburgh Promise. The city provides 40k scholarships to students who graduate from Pittsburgh's public schools. It has helped retain and attract families.

The Pittsburgh Promise - It Lives in All of Us

Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Pennsylvania as a state does it to parts of New Jersey. Not to South Jersey though. Not because they like South Jersey but because they frankly don't give a crap about Philadelphia or any part of SEPA outside of parts of Bucks, Montgomery, a tiny sliver of Delaware, and parts of Chester County. I'm sure that if they could move jobs from South Jersey to Central PA or NEPA then they would.
I suspect that's because office space is much cheaper in South Jersey.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I suspect that's because office space is much cheaper in South Jersey.
No, it's because Pennsylvania doesn't even turn an eye towards Philadelphia or SEPA except when forced to or when it's time to collect the revenue the state squeezes from the city and surrounding area as much as it can.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Frank over exaggerating again? Frank ruining another thread with his anti-city bias? What else is new. Guess there isn't much crime going on lately so he has to take his misery out on the rest of us.

Frank, you're not thinking logically, as usual.

1. It is called KOZ... Keystone Opportunity Zone. They are ALL over the city and are areas designated to give companies extreme tax breaks in return for moving to the city. This makes it cheaper for a company to operate here than anywhere within a 200 mile radius or more.
KOZ Home Page

2. You're wrong about the Wage Tax... yet again. For those who work in the city but live in the suburbs, the wage tax is 3.5%, not 4%. Also, New Jersey has an income tax. If you work in Philadelphia and live in New Jersey, you can deduct your Income Tax from the Philadelphia Wage Tax... therefore, if Subaru DID in fact move to Philadelphia, the company would see SUBSTANTIALLY less taxes... while the employees would only see maybe a 1.5% increase in taxes going to the city for the Wage Tax. I don't think 1.5% is all that much more, especially since they will be able to take Public Transit in the city, which would likely reduce their commuting costs by several hundred dollars a year. Again, your thoughts on this are off greatly.

3. Living in the city offers MUCH more amenities than living in a suburb. For one, your gas costs are reduced drastically, and so does every other cost that comes with owning and daily driving a car like tires, batteries, and other maintenance. Second, right out of my front door, I have thousands of restaurants, bars, museums, theaters, shops, parks, subways, trains, trolleys, sports stadiums, and a unique walkable urban environment only matched by a few other locations in this entire country. Today how many people are walking in your neighborhood? If you say anymore more than 5 people walking down the street I know you are BSing. There are thousands of people walking by my front door every day. I can walk to work, interact with people all day, walk to the bank, walk to the park, walk to meet friends for dinner and a few drinks, then walk home. I can do something new everyday. You? You get up likely extremely early in the morning, to drive 35 minutes to work, only to drive back 35 minutes home after work, then you have to go to bed early because you have to be up extremely early in the morning tomorrow to do the same repetitive thing over and over again. What do you have right outside your door? The same house over and over again, with the same type of families with the same two cars, and maybe 5 people walking through your neighborhood the entire day. A 10 minute drive away you have the same boring big box stores like Walmart and Target and the same boring chain restaurants like TGI Friday's and Ruby Tuesday's. Surely when your kids grow up they will learn to resent where they live, only to go to school in the city, or somewhere else far away. Then you and your wife will become empty nesters and the only way you can keep each from going insane will be to move back to the city. Isn't life a *****!

The city offers vast amenities that 90% of suburbs can NEVER compare to. Philadelphia is MUCH cheaper than New Jersey, and always will be, even after AVI, Philadelphia will STILL be cheaper. You make my point everytime by saying, "well I can have those amenities too! I just have to drive there, spend $20 on gas, spend $25 dollars for parking then drive home again tonight" Right... okay... sounds like fun to me Those amenities that you have to drive to just experience a couple of times a month, I get to experience every day, right out of my front door. But I guess it's okay, because you can sit inside your NJ home looking up crime reports on ABCNews.com and say to your family "hey guys aren't we sooo safe, isn't great how safe we are."

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 02-11-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Given the way New York has many, many more jobs and opportunities than its neighbors, I don't see how that's even remotely the same thing.
Does southern New Jersey have more jobs and opportunities than Philadelphia?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
The greater Philadelphia region prospers from all areas doing well. More jobs everywhere that pay better are best for all.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Frank over exaggerating again? Frank ruining another thread with his anti-city bias? What else is new. Guess there isn't much crime going on lately so he has to take his misery out on the rest of us.

Frank, you're not thinking logically, as usual.

1. It is called KOZ... Keystone Opportunity Zone. They are ALL over the city and are areas designated to give companies extreme tax breaks in return for moving to the city. This makes it cheaper for a company to operate here than anywhere within a 200 mile radius or more.
KOZ Home Page

2. You're wrong about the Wage Tax... yet again. For those who work in the city but live in the suburbs, the wage tax is 3.5%, not 4%. Also, New Jersey has an income tax. If you work in Philadelphia and live in New Jersey, you can deduct your Income Tax from the Philadelphia Wage Tax... therefore, if Subaru DID in fact move to Philadelphia, the company would see SUBSTANTIALLY less taxes... while the employees would only see maybe a 1.5% increase in taxes going to the city for the Wage Tax. I don't think 1.5% is all that much more, especially since they will be able to tax Public Transit in the city, which would likely reduce their commuting costs by several hundred dollars a year. Again, your thoughts on this are off greatly.

3. Living in the city offers MUCH more amenities than living in a suburb. For one, your gas costs are reduced drastically, and so does every other cost that comes with owning and daily driving a car like tires, batteries, and other maintenance. Second, right out of my front door, I have thousands of restaurants, bars, museums, theaters, shops, parks, subways, trains, trolleys, sports stadiums, and a unique walkable urban environment only matched by a few other locations in this entire country. Today how many people are walking in your neighborhood? If you say anymore more than 5 people walking down the street I know you are BSing. There are thousands of people walking by my front door every day. I can walk to work, interact with people all day, walk to the bank, walk to the park, walk to meet friends for dinner and a few drinks, then walk home. I can do something new everyday. You? You get up likely extremely early in the morning, to drive 35 minutes to work, only to drive back 35 minutes home after work, then you have to go to bed early because you have to be up extremely early in the morning tomorrow to do the same repetitive thing over and over again. What do you have right outside your door? The same house over and over again, with the same type of families with the same two cars, and maybe 5 people walking through your neighborhood the entire day. A 10 minute drive away you have the same boring big box stores like Walmart and Target and the same boring chain restaurants like TGI Friday's and Ruby Tuesday's. Surely when your kids grow up they will learn to resent where they live, only to go to school in the city, or somewhere else far away. Then you and your wife will become empty nesters and the only way you can keep each from going insane will be to move back to the city. Isn't life a *****!

The city offers vast amenities that 90% of suburbs can NEVER compare to. Philadelphia is MUCH cheaper than New Jersey, and always will be, even after AVI, Philadelphia will STILL be cheaper. You make my point everytime by saying, "well I can have those amenities too! I just have to drive there, spend $20 on gas, spend $25 dollars for parking then drive home again tonight" Right... okay... sounds like fun to me Those amenities that you have to drive to just experience a couple of times a month, I get to experience every day, right out of my front door. But I guess it's okay, because you can sit inside your NJ home looking up crime reports on ABCNews.com and say to your family "hey guys aren't we sooo safe, isn't great how safe we are."
But none of that changes the fact that the majority of the metro population prefers to live in the suburbs.

Philadelphia Population: 1,536,471
Philadelphia Metro Population: 5,965,343

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
No. Then again, I'm not the one trying to talk like he knows more about a situation having only seen it on the news than somebody who grew up in its aftermath and in the latter part of that situation.. now am I?

I don't need to "prove" my assertions. It's not exactly a secret that Cherry Hill leeched off of and continues to leech off of the city.

I heard about the mill closures on the radio & saw it on TV & read about it in the papers in real time. not someone's memories of it. I saw the Subaru building go up in real time. If you think that the mill closures did not have an effect on the whole region, think again.

Subaru consolidated into their building from temporary quarters in the area, primarily Pennsauken. Your charges are without merit & you can not cite a single case.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Does southern New Jersey have more jobs and opportunities than Philadelphia?
You really don't know this area very well, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The greater Philadelphia region prospers from all areas doing well. More jobs everywhere that pay better are best for all.
I completely agree but I think it's a bit ridiculous that Philadelphia goes out of its way to say we shouldn't be competing against NJ and the other suburbs surrounding the city while those suburbs and of course NJ constantly tries to lure everybody and every company from the city that they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia