Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Speculation in fine, but there is a proper way to present it, and this thread definitely does not act as an exemplary model.
The primate/money insult is a proper exemplary model, huh? A turd is a turd; however you decorate it, it's still a turd.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
Well, Frank, I happen to live in a safe, clean, surprisingly quiet area of the city with access to one of the premier schools in the entire world. Sounds like we're in the same position.
Except you have to pay wage tax Seriously, good for you.. Is this premier school a true public school or a magnet school? BIG difference..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM

735 posts, read 1,130,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The mill owners were lured to NC by their own greed. Try to wrap your mind around that. The majority of the mills went to NC. There was even a study done about 20 yearws ago about the mills workers who went to NC vs the ones who stayed & who made out better.

If you do not understand that someone being lured by their own greed is not the same as a person being offered incentives I can't do anything about that. If you want to level all of your venom on Cherry Hill, I can't do anything about that. However, your charge that Cherry Hill poached businesses from Philadelphia implies that incentives were offered & that has not been the case.
Try to wrap your mind around the fact that you only know about any of it by hearing about it on the news and I grew up in a neighborhood built around mills and industry. Those would have been my jobs to work, and you merely heard about it on the news.

If you do not understand that politicians lobby businesses to relocate there and have for a long time now, I can't do anything about that. If you want to pretend I have any venom for somewhere that isn't even a blip on my radar, I can't do anything about that. However, you assert that Cherry Hill has never leeched off of Philadelphia, and that has not been the case.

Quote:
Well, Frank, I happen to live in a safe, clean, surprisingly quiet area of the city with access to one of the premier schools in the entire world. Sounds like we're in the same position.
Very well said.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I'm not saying they necessarily lured Subaru but we all know South Jersey and Cherry Hill in particular has lured plenty of companies from the city limits.
The issue I'm having with your posts and I'm sure some others feel the same way is that you keep calling out NJ for "stealing" from the city. I don't follow your posts close enough to know if you have an anti-NJ bias, but on the face of it it seems you wouldn't feel as bad about PA burbs poaching from the city. Essentially, you sound like New Yorkers (usually actually people from the Midwest/elsewhere) who whine about Jersey City's growing skyline. Of course, I might be wrong so please clarify if I am. I would prefer to be wrong in this case, obviously.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The primate/money insult is a proper exemplary model, huh? A turd is a turd; however you decorate it, it's still a turd.
The isn't an insult. Stating facts isn't so much an insult as it is... a fact. Forgive me for acknowledging a common thread through primate evolution. It was merely alluding to an explanation of human behavior in total, not correlating it with any group in particular. It was not understood properly on your behalf. No, that isn't an insult either.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Try to wrap your mind around the fact that you only know about any of it by hearing about it on the news and I grew up in a neighborhood built around mills and industry. Those would have been my jobs to work, and you merely heard about it on the news.

If you do not understand that politicians lobby businesses to relocate there and have for a long time now, I can't do anything about that. If you want to pretend I have any venom for somewhere that isn't even a blip on my radar, I can't do anything about that. However, you assert that Cherry Hill has never leeched off of Philadelphia, and that has not been the case.

Very well said.
Were you even alive when Subaru built their headquarters building? I was working in Philly & drove past it while it was going up. Prove your assertions about Cherry Hill.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
As is repeatedly insulting somebody's intelligence and trying to make someone out to be a loser... both completely unprovoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Except you have to pay wage tax Seriously, good for you.. Is this premier school a true public school or a magnet school? BIG difference..
What exactly is the difference between a city school that draws the best students and a suburban "public" school that draws mostly only people with money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
The issue I'm having with your posts and I'm sure some others feel the same way is that you keep calling out NJ for "stealing" from the city. I don't follow your posts close enough to know if you have an anti-NJ bias, but on the face of it it seems you wouldn't feel as bad about PA burbs poaching from the city. Essentially, you sound like New Yorkers (usually actually people from the Midwest/elsewhere) who whine about Jersey City's growing skyline. Of course, I might be wrong so please clarify if I am. I would prefer to be wrong in this case, obviously.
I "called them out" because they did and continue to try to do just that. Anti-NJ bias? Come on now. Calling a spade a spade is not the same as having a bias.

Then you don't know me. I have the same sentiment towards Montgomery, Bucks, and even parts of Delaware County.

Given the way New York has many, many more jobs and opportunities than its neighbors, I don't see how that's even remotely the same thing.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Were you even alive when Subaru built their headquarters building? I was working in Philly & drove past it while it was going up. Prove your assertions about Cherry Hill.
No. Then again, I'm not the one trying to talk like he knows more about a situation having only seen it on the news than somebody who grew up in its aftermath and in the latter part of that situation.. now am I?

I don't need to "prove" my assertions. It's not exactly a secret that Cherry Hill leeched off of and continues to leech off of the city.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
It is a university . I don't pay any wage tax at the moment, seeing as I'm a student and do not work. I do acknowledge that I'm in a privileged position and anybody living in the nicest areas of the city with access to the great universities for themselves or great schools--whether public or magnet--for their children are in a minority position. As a firm believer of education as the ultimate in the universe, I cannot blame people for wanting better education for their children in attempts to give them the best lives possible. I despise the suburbs, but I am not everyone else and everyone else is not me. That much is obvious, as one poster alluded to earlier in picture form. Having said that, we really could use those who believe in education to stick around to push for it in the city. Large swaths of Philadelphia have a culture that is indifferent or hostile to education. If we can't manage this, we need to at least manage the areas that do have people who have a culture of caring for education in order to keep them around and invested in the city.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I wondered if there is a benefit to do business in New Jersey.

Best/Worst States for Business 2011 | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

According to this, Pennsylvania is a better state for doing business. Not by much though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia