Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
What amenities do you speak of? That I and anyone else can get if we drove to philly without paying a 4% tax??
What you say is true, Frank. It is exactly what I said: Some will, some won't. Some will count the benefits as outweighing the negatives, and others will feel the same way you do e.g. "Why live there when I could just drive there to do the things I want, if I want".

Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
How many employees (out of the possible 900 at the HQ alone) do you actually know, frank?

It seems to me that you're just speculating the way the rest of us are.... but don't want to admit it.

I know way more then you do.. People high up in the organization..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I don't know if there is an official definition, but in my opinion, one municipality only "poaches" or "lures" a company from another municipality if they offer some sort of incentive to move there. So can someone answer a simple question: did Cherry Hill offer Subaru any incentives way back when to move into town?
No deal was offered. The Latin/Emerald City was torn down & the land had been vacant for a while. The only incentive was that Subaru liked the location & the lot size worked for them. It was a private real estate deal before offering incentives was invented.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Speculation in fine, but there is a proper way to present it, and this thread definitely does not act as an exemplary model.
This thread wasn't so much to speculate as to ask a question and get a conversation going but yeah I agree that it should've been far more level-headed and less hostile and reactionary. It's pretty telling that certain posters reacted the way they did to even just the idea being put out there or to the question being asked. It's not surprising though.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I know way more then you do.. People high up in the organization..
Enough to speak as an insider the way you keep doing?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Personally, I think more people would probably prefer to stay in the suburbs. From personal experience and further amalgamated information, these "types" (for the lack of a better description) tend to see the suburbs as a draw for various reasons and aren't particularly interested in having the day-to-day amenities that the city offers at their fingertips; they have different priorities. This still doesn't stop this thread from amounting to nothing more than, "Anything you can do, I can do better"isms.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Again... they were lured. You just said it again. How is luring them with non-union labor, lower taxes, etc not the same thing? By the way... the mills went all over the country. Being from somewhere that has a long history with mills, I had to learn that.

Yes, they did.

Lured.. Love it.. Just like I was lured out of the city to the safe, clean, quiet suburbs.. Everyone hates to live in a clean, quiet safe area with fantastic schools don't you know

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Lured.. Love it.. Just like I was lured out of the city to the safe, clean, quiet suburbs.. Everyone hates to live in a clean, quiet safe area with fantastic schools don't you know
No, you fled. You're not a major company so don't compare you moving to the clean, quiet, suburbs like the one you grew up in to a major company leaving a major city for a suburb of it.

Fantastic? I don't know about that. I'll leave that alone though.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Again... they were lured. You just said it again. How is luring them with non-union labor, lower taxes, etc not the same thing? By the way... the mills went all over the country. Being from somewhere that has a long history with mills, I had to learn that.

Yes, they did.
The mill owners were lured to NC by their own greed. Try to wrap your mind around that. The majority of the mills went to NC. There was even a study done about 20 yearws ago about the mills workers who went to NC vs the ones who stayed & who made out better.

If you do not understand that someone being lured by their own greed is not the same as a person being offered incentives I can't do anything about that. If you want to level all of your venom on Cherry Hill, I can't do anything about that. However, your charge that Cherry Hill poached businesses from Philadelphia implies that incentives were offered & that has not been the case.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, Frank, I happen to live in a safe, clean, surprisingly quiet area of the city with access to one of the premier schools in the entire world. Sounds like we're in the same position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia