Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Hi All - despite the fact I live in NJ and actually at one time lived within 20 minutes of Philly, I'm woefully ignorant of your fair city.

During spring break we're going to take 2 day trips into the city to see the sights. Aside from the list below, is there any other "must sees"? We've done the Franklin Institute in the past so won't go again. We will have a 15 yr old girl and 14 yr old boy with us.

- liberty bell
- independence hall
- national constitution center
- zoo (if it's nice)
- the Franklin Fountain
- reading terminal market
- duck ride
- Mutter Museum

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Depending on their interests, I'd add the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Franklin Institute and perhaps even the Philadelphia Museum of Art, if only to run up the famous "Rocky steps".

Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Oh yeah, The Franklin Fountain! The lovely thing is that can be shoved in anywhere on the schedule, since the hours are great. I would agree that if they have any interest in art, then the Philadelphia Museum of Art is a must. It is quite impressive, having one of the best collections in the nation. The problem with two days is that you can only really go two ways with a vacation and get anything done. Either you 1) Make a list of things and go about doing them and seeing what you can check off and possibly leave for next time or 2) Wander around to enjoy the various districts of the city and not really focus on seeing attractions.

Of course you can integrate these two to an extent, especially if the things you want to see are woven into the fabric of the districts or aren't really isolated events. So, I would suggest areas of the city to see, but I don't think that would be feasible for your current trip. I think what you have down already could easily fill up your two days, especially if you add the Museum of Art. If you will be here on a Wednesday, the Museum of Art is free and they are open up until 8:45 PM. The reason I bring these things up is because you're trying to pack what most likely are a lot of day things into 2 days, so you'll possibly have to sacrifice something and find something more night oriented. The art museum on Wednesday would be good for filling that slot.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Hi All - despite the fact I live in NJ and actually at one time lived within 20 minutes of Philly, I'm woefully ignorant of your fair city.

During spring break we're going to take 2 day trips into the city to see the sights. Aside from the list below, is there any other "must sees"? We've done the Franklin Institute in the past so won't go again. We will have a 15 yr old girl and 14 yr old boy with us.

- liberty bell
- independence hall
- national constitution center
- zoo (if it's nice)
- the Franklin Fountain
- reading terminal market
- duck ride
- Mutter Museum

Thanks!

The Art Museum is cool, its much more than just art. There are a vareity of amazing exhibits from all types of civilizations throughout history. At least there was the last time I was there(2 years ago).

Stroll along Rittenhouse Square and Society Hill if its a nice day. Unfortunately If you catch a dreary,cold windy day its just not the same.

Sister Cities Park, Love Park , Logan Circle Fountain on the Ben Franklin Parkway

Pats or Genos

Behind the Art Museum there is a Bike rental stand at Llyod Hall. You can ride along the Schuylkill River Trail/Kelly Drive. Perhaps even take the trail towards the city and ride the bikes into charming neighborhoods like Rittenhouse, Fitler Square all the way down to Society Hill Old City. There are bike lanes on Spruce Street from river to river.

There is an observation tower at City Hall with some nice views. In the neighborhood of 500 ft high.

There is a restaurant on the 37th floor of Liberty Two Tower. R2L I believe its called. Good food food and views.

Take a ride up Lincoln Drive to Chestnut Hill.

Check out Main Street in Manayunk. Stop in for lunch or dinner

If you are still looking for something to do take a ride to Valley Forge National Park and King of Prussia Mall which are about 1/2 west of the city.

Good Luck

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Art Museum is cool, its much more than just art. There are a vareity of amazing exhibits from all types of civilizations throughout history. At least there was the last time I was there(2 years ago).
If you are looking for that kind of thing the art museum has outside of art, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology has a way better display of it. They have the real second biggest sphinx in the world on exhibit and quite a lot of real mummies. And also many many things of every culture.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
If you are looking for that kind of thing the art museum has outside of art, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology has a way better display of it. They have the real second biggest sphinx in the world on exhibit and quite a lot of real mummies. And also many many things of every culture.
I'll second this. I was going to suggest it as well, but remember not to get too bogged down with museums that you can't spend a fair time in any of them.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Thanks! I'll look into the Art Museum, I think my niece would like it, but my son is likely to slit his throat, LOL. I'll investigate.

Pats or Genos - how could I forget that!!! I put down Reading Terminal for Tommy DiNic's. We can do that one day and Pats/Genos the other.

I'm hoping for good weather to just stroll around but as we all know it could be iffy (it will still only be March).

I like the bike idea, but we'll be with someone who can't ride (literally, never learned, LOL).

Thanks again and if anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM

212 posts, read 610,754 times
If you're looking for something different at the Art Museum be sure to check out the armor, the japanese tea house, outdoor sculpture garden and there's actually an outsider art exhibit scheduled to open soon.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Eastern State Penitentiary can be an interesting place to stroll through and it's not that far from the parkway/art museum/etc

Home | Eastern State Penitentiary

Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Thanks! I'll look into the Art Museum, I think my niece would like it, but my son is likely to slit his throat, LOL. I'll investigate.

Pats or Genos - how could I forget that!!! I put down Reading Terminal for Tommy DiNic's. We can do that one day and Pats/Genos the other.

I'm hoping for good weather to just stroll around but as we all know it could be iffy (it will still only be March).

I like the bike idea, but we'll be with someone who can't ride (literally, never learned, LOL).

Thanks again and if anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears.

I might suggest Jims on South Street (maybe skip Pats/Genos) and also take in a bit of South Street.

The Eastern State Penn may also be interesting. Camden Aquarium is another.

Even the Comcast Center for their hourly lobby video interactive is good, though Christmas time is better.

If any of them (a big if for the ages) like impresionist art the Barnes is spectacular on the parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia