Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times

Advertisements

Just wondering has anyone besides me ever been a fan of riding of the trolley because i have never liked the trolley. My issues with the trolley

1. Too slow...............would have to leave extra for work or school

2. Too lit up...............the atmosphere is way to bright while riding unlike the buses

3. The seating.............not spacious enough the buses

4. Schedule...................feels like you are waiting forever to get on a trolley.....especially the 10

That's why I made sure I didn't look anywhere near Baltimore Ave for a apartment because I would have needed to get extra early for work. So anyone else dislike the trolleys and feel that they all should be eliminated and replaced by buses like the 15 trolley was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM

301 posts, read 921,786 times
they're not exactly senior friendly. My mom complains that the trolley from 69th street to my house doesn't lower like the buses do...

Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
they're not exactly senior friendly. My mom complains that the trolley from 69th street to my house doesn't lower like the buses do...

Nope they don't and as a senior you have to climb those steps to get on.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
I actually think Philly has one of the best trolley/light rail systems in the country. I actually prefer to ride them over buses.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I actually think Philly has one of the best trolley/light rail systems in the country. I actually prefer to ride them over buses.

And why is that?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
And why is that?
I find them more convenient for me to ride than the buses, especially when I'm in Center City or Southwest Philly. Also having the right of way for parts of the routes is something buses can't do unless it's "bus rapid transit".

Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
They hold more people then buses , the New Trolleys will be ADA compliant similar to New Jersey's LRVs....low floor , bigger seats , but space for bikes and wheelchairs...

The Suburban Trolleys will most likely look like these... They don't need to be that big , there's a possibility that the 104 might come back as a Trolley route to Newtown SQ...

Portland Streetcars by joelplutchak, on Flickr

Urban Trolley Replacements will be similar to Toronto's new Trolleys , longer about 2x the size of the current Trolleys...and can be coupled together to add 4x capacity. These would be used for 10 , 11/13 , 34 , 36 and Subway line along with the restored/Proposed 6 , 23 , 56 , 60 , waterfront , city branch , Naval Yard , Lindbergh - Passyunk , Northwestern Connector and Lindbergh - Passyunk lines. Trollies are more comfortable then buses and stimulate growth if zoning laws aren't to restrictive...

Old 04-13-2013, 03:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Just wondering has anyone besides me ever been a fan of riding of the trolley because i have never liked the trolley. My issues with the trolley

1. Too slow...............would have to leave extra for work or school

2. Too lit up...............the atmosphere is way to bright while riding unlike the buses

3. The seating.............not spacious enough the buses

4. Schedule...................feels like you are waiting forever to get on a trolley.....especially the 10

That's why I made sure I didn't look anywhere near Baltimore Ave for a apartment because I would have needed to get extra early for work. So anyone else dislike the trolleys and feel that they all should be eliminated and replaced by buses like the 15 trolley was?
They suspended alot of the Network which should be coming back over the next 15 years , its more costly to operate bus routes along trolley routes due to buses having half the capacity of trolleys....which means you need to hire more bus drivers and send more buses just fill the gap of trolleys....which overtime becomes expensive.... Ive used all of Phillys network , the Rail wins out over buses , which tend to be overcrowded are marred down by snow or ice or fog while Trolleys just keep going. The Current Trolley system is slowly being overhauled , Suburban is first and almost finished , they just need to add Real time info , Fare collection for the New Trolleys which should be order within a few years. Then the Urban System will need to be redo , 15 was the first line , they redid part of the 56 and 23 in prep for restoration , the Subway line will need to be overhauled which doesn't require much and then the West Philly lines one by one. Trolley Ridership in recent years coupled with the age of the current fleet means SEPTA will replace the entire fleet which will have to be ADA compliant , the network upgrade will most likely come with Real time info signs.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They suspended alot of the Network which should be coming back over the next 15 years , its more costly to operate bus routes along trolley routes due to buses having half the capacity of trolleys....which means you need to hire more bus drivers and send more buses just fill the gap of trolleys....which overtime becomes expensive.... Ive used all of Phillys network , the Rail wins out over buses , which tend to be overcrowded are marred down by snow or ice or fog while Trolleys just keep going. The Current Trolley system is slowly being overhauled , Suburban is first and almost finished , they just need to add Real time info , Fare collection for the New Trolleys which should be order within a few years. Then the Urban System will need to be redo , 15 was the first line , they redid part of the 56 and 23 in prep for restoration , the Subway line will need to be overhauled which doesn't require much and then the West Philly lines one by one. Trolley Ridership in recent years coupled with the age of the current fleet means SEPTA will replace the entire fleet which will have to be ADA compliant , the network upgrade will most likely come with Real time info signs.

It's fine as long as I;m catching to work

Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
I thought you liked when places were lit up, because it's "attractive"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia