Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,425 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice for safe neighborhoods in Philly. I grew up in Delaware county, and I'm finally moving into the city this summer. I've visited the city plenty of times growing up, but remain rather clueless about individual neighborhoods, streets, safe boundaries, public transportation, etc.

When are you moving? July 2013
Where are you coming from? Delco suburbs
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Partner: UPenn. Me: Still unsure, but possibly near the airport.
Have you been here yet? Yes, but not very familiar with areas.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment, maximum $1000 but preferably closer to 900.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Slightly prefer hi-rise, but it doesn't matter so much.
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No suburbs. Must be in the city.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Long-term relationship, no children.
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? YES, just one car, and I'd really love a garage or dedicated parking space. I realize this will probably cost extra... as long as it's reasonable.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? In the middle would be nice, but if I had to choose one I'd pick calm.

What do you want to be closest to?
Preferably close to bus/train routes, decent restaurants and some night life as well, but it doesn't have to be a super happenin' place or anything. We can drive to the grocery/etc. My primary concern is safety.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? A predominantly white, young professional neighborhood would be nice. I have no problems with diversity, though. I lived on the south side of Chicago for 2 years.

Coke or Pepsi? Diet coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
A predominantly white, young professional neighborhood would be nice

garage or dedicated parking space

you're not getting all 3 of those things for $1000/mo

If parking is really important to you I'd check out Eastwick which is near the airport and you'd be close to the trolley to Penn. There are some nice townhomes along Lindbergh Blvd that have garages and/or off street parking.

Otherwise, give up on the parking idea and look in University City or in South Philly.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM

34 posts, read 73,047 times
The closest you're gonna find is likely Pennsport or Passyunk but likely wont have parking space. If you wanna go to Manayunk/Roxborough you will easily find a 1 bedroom for $1000 and possibly with a parking space, but that will be a little bit more outside the city. I would focus on South Philly and try not to go too far into Point Breeze. I guess its possible for you to find something around Fishtown or Port Richmond for that price (again, if we're talking one bedroom) but it would likely be in the shady areas and not the nice areas of those neighborhoods.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM

421 posts, read 834,880 times
Which are you? Male or female? And by "partner" are you implying this is a gay (or lesbian) relationship? I'm not saying either of those are bad. But right now I can't picture you without knowing this very basic information.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Why not live right in University City where UPenn is? Or in South Philly close to 95? In either Pennsport or very South Philly by the Sports Complex. These areas will be within your price range.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM

I'm a straight male, my partner is female. I should have mentioned that a studio would be fine too (we live in one now) and our budget can accommodate up to 1200 if it meets all of our major criteria (safe, has parking, close enough to fun stuff and good food). So far I'm liking the idea of either the safe parts of university city, or center city (I've seen a couple hi rises with garages).

Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I think it is possible to find something on the western or northern edge of University City. If you were in the heart of UC near Penn, unfortunately rents would be double or more of what you want to pay. There are many blocks where you can park on the street free, but get the parking permit ($30 first year $20 thereafter).

Why not check with University City Housing, University Enterprises, and Campus Apartments?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Upped our budget to $1300. There seems to be a decent amount of studios available in Center City for this price. Most of them seem to include all utilities in the price, which is very desirable. I was hoping to maybe find a hi-rise with a parking garage, anyone have experience as to whether buying a parking space in a garage is reasonable or ridiculously expensive? For example, my building in Chicago has spaces available... for $250 a month.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Imperial, The, Philadelphia - Trulia

Take the $900 500sqft 1 bedroom and park your car in the 180$/mo lot right in front of it (cheap for center city). BSL is a small walk for connecting you easily to the rest of the city, then bus to Penn. Also the BSL station there is a walkable underground to the university city trolley lines (good for rainy or cold days).

Are you willing to leave your car parked outside the city at a cheap monthly lot near a regional rail or 69th station etc? (69th station is $60/mo)

You have a lot of options... University City itself will be cheapest but Rittenhouse square and near a subway is not going to happen with 1300 and your car in a lot across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: