Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

Eh, I dispute that. When you correct for socioeconomic background, I don't see much of a difference, really.
There are exceptions in both the city and suburbs but for the most part I feel like kids in the city are exposed to more types of people/situations and are more independent at an earlier age. I guess most of it is a function of being driven everywhere by your parents versus just walking/biking/public transit to see friends and do stuff.

I know that if I ever have children I would want them to be raised in the city, and not necessarily because I was (Mount Airy).

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-13-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There are exceptions in both the city and suburbs but for the most part I feel like kids in the city are exposed to more types of people/situations and are more independent at an earlier age.

I know that if I ever have children I would want them to be raised in the city as I was (Mount Airy).
Independent, yes, by virtue of the fact that once kids are old enough to go out on their own, it's a lot easier for them to do so. Exposed, it greatly depends. When you live in Society Hill and go to Friends Select, you're probably not experiencing a whole lot of diversity on a regular basis. Of course, if you go to a good neighborhood school like Penn Alexander and then move on to Central or Masterman you're really going to get the best of both worlds and interact with a great variety of people.

I still dispute the "better-balanced" and "cooler" assertions though.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,206 times
Based on some of things being said in this thread you would think that "the suburbs" equate to some remote, uninhabited rural area while "the city" is some type of magical, Manhattan-esque utopia. People need to get out more.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
They'd probably resent you too. Kids that grow up in the city are much cooler and well-rounded (just kidding people...sort of)

Are you saying city kids are fatter!!??

Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
There are exceptions in both the city and suburbs but for the most part I feel like kids in the city are exposed to more types of people/situations and are more independent at an earlier age. I guess most of it is a function of being driven everywhere by your parents versus just walking/biking/public transit to see friends and do stuff.

I know that if I ever have children I would want them to be raised in the city, and not necessarily because I was (Mount Airy).

Well then our Son had the best of both worlds. Raised in Philly and now in the burbs.. In actuality, it makes little difference where you are raised if the parents do their jobs. I can show you people raised in the middle of the country who are more smarter(and well rounded) then most who were raised in cities.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
Based on some of things being said in this thread you would think that "the suburbs" equate to some remote, uninhabited rural area while "the city" is some type of magical, Manhattan-esque utopia. People need to get out more.

Exactly. its comical actually.. The city folk will use whatever they can to justify (in their own minds)the city..

If you rely on the 'city' to teach and raise your kids, you ain't doing your job

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Exactly. its comical actually.. The city folk will use whatever they can to justify (in their own minds)the city..

If you rely on the 'city' to teach and raise your kids, you ain't doing your job
don't be glib

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
don't be glib

Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Independent, yes, by virtue of the fact that once kids are old enough to go out on their own, it's a lot easier for them to do so. Exposed, it greatly depends. When you live in Society Hill and go to Friends Select, you're probably not experiencing a whole lot of diversity on a regular basis. Of course, if you go to a good neighborhood school like Penn Alexander and then move on to Central or Masterman you're really going to get the best of both worlds and interact with a great variety of people.

I still dispute the "better-balanced" and "cooler" assertions though.
That's true. I think I experienced both sides to a degree, going to a majority black grade school in my neighborhood and then to a majority suburban white high school (although in North Philly).

But yes, I would agree that there are cool people from everywhere.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
IMHO, parenting plays a bigger role in how well prepared you are to handle different situations and life in general and even your world view. Although neither my husband nor I have ever lived in a city, we have traveled extensively and lived in several states. Our grown daughter has lived in Brooklyn, China, Nashville and now Washington DC as a young adult. Somehow her small town upbringing did not hinder her much!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia