Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 y.o. single female who's considering relocating to Philadelphia from living in Missouri my whole life. I want to travel more, but I'm a little (ok, a lot, lol) nervous about moving there as I don't know anyone there. My main concern is safety and affordable housing.I am looking to move out on my own somewhere i can walk the comfortably. Right now, i dont have a car and almost all of my family lives in St.Louis still, but im bored with it. I haven't researched many places, im relocating from my job but its not that high paying so i am looking for a roommate, but i have to know which area to look. once i find an area, i will only be able to afford about 400 a month with the roommate. im 21, so i do want to live in a area that is kinda lively, but im not big on partying so as long as it is a semi sociable area, i will be fine. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
There are many, many threads asking the same thing with many post on both sides.. Please search those first.. Heres some I found in three seconds

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...onsulting.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ld-i-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ld-i-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ut-philly.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ty-should.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-fishtown.html

Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM

9,343 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarionAniece View Post
I'm a 21 y.o. single female who's considering relocating to Philadelphia from living in Missouri my whole life. I want to travel more, but I'm a little (ok, a lot, lol) nervous about moving there as I don't know anyone there. My main concern is safety and affordable housing.I am looking to move out on my own somewhere i can walk the comfortably. Right now, i dont have a car and almost all of my family lives in St.Louis still, but im bored with it. I haven't researched many places, im relocating from my job but its not that high paying so i am looking for a roommate, but i have to know which area to look. once i find an area, i will only be able to afford about 400 a month with the roommate. im 21, so i do want to live in a area that is kinda lively, but im not big on partying so as long as it is a semi sociable area, i will be fine. any suggestions?
You could get a room in a house in a nice part of University City, but splitting a two-bedroom in a safe and lively area for that price probably isn't going to happen.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
You could get a room in a house in a nice part of University City, but splitting a two-bedroom in a safe and lively area for that price probably isn't going to happen.
^Basically. There are lots of safer and lively areas in or near Center City (aka downtown) including University City. However, options with your budget will be rather limited. Also note that the cost of daily goods will be a bit higher in Philly than in St. Louis. The good news is that, assuming your employer is located in Center City, it will be easy to commute via mass transit.

If your employer has opportunities in, say, Des Moines or Omaha, I would check out those respective forums here for info. They both have a low cost of living as well as a low unemployment rate.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Living in the city on that budget is going to be difficult. You're going to absolutely need a roommate. Try the Northwest like Manayunk or Chestnut Hill.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
I managed to keep rent (not including utilities) under $500 living in both Queen Village and University City. Neither apartment was ideal though. To find a place in a desirable location with that budget you'll need to seriously compromise on the apartment itself I'm afraid.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
You should up what your willing to spend and just give philly a try for a year. If you don't think it is worth it after a year then move out. You may find you are willing to spend every dime you've got for good urban living, like new yorkers do.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Default love Philly

Hi, my wife and I were mid westerners our entire lives and after our last kid moved out and went to college, we decided to try something new and ended up in Philly. We have loved it here. Forget about what you hear that east coast people are rude, they're not, at least in Philly. Philly has lots of cool neighborhoods, great food, and a very diverse population that seems to co-mingle quite well. Another advantage of Philly, you're in the middle of everything, it's easy to do a weekend in DC, Baltimore, NYC, and of course the nice beaches of Atlantic City and along the NJ shore. Our 23 year old daughter moved out here for a couple of years as well and loved it. She rented a house with three other girls in Manayunk, and paid $550/month for it. Manayunk is a place with a lot of restaraunts and bars and an active night life for young people. She moved to San Diego for work in October and misses Philly badly and would like to move back.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: