Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
life in dc is no different
Who said anything about DC? FWIW I found highway traffic to flow a lot better during the off-hours, in part because people aren't afraid to drive 75 two-and-a-half car lengths apart from one another, which is pretty scary. Rush hour gridlock is probably just as bad though--maybe even worse. I suppose they have less of an excuse, given that DC was far less developed during the highway building boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Who said anything about DC? FWIW I found highway traffic to flow a lot better during the off-hours, in part because people aren't afraid to drive 75 two-and-a-half car lengths apart from one another, which is pretty scary. Rush hour gridlock is probably just as bad though--maybe even worse. I suppose they have less of an excuse, given that DC was far less developed during the highway building boom.
oh was that the other thread?
I don't know, I found traffic in DC to be nightmarish on the maryland side, the beltway just gets tied up like the schuykill at all hours...but you're right, DC wasn't much of a place in the railroad era and was much less densely populated. it was just a piece of swamp land until jefferson cut a deal to move the capitol there. OTOH, the regional rail network is much better here than in DC. their trains don't even run on the weekend (VRE, MARC is just starting weekend service)

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 10,626,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
There is no reason why this region can't offer better rail service to outlying areas AND upgrade/improve its highway systems. How are other parts of the country doing this? Why can't we do what other regions do? And to think Philadelphia (and Pennsylvania) was once at the forefront of so many important things in this country. Now we tolerate visionless leadership and stagnancy.
It is frustrating, but I think major part of the inaction of our politicians is that there is an unprecedented level of competition across the state for fewer funds. This problem is definitely not unique to the Philly area, but it is more pronounced here because we have to put more of our limited dollars to maintenance/upgrades than expansion projects.

Gone are the days where the federal government provided support for transportation projects. States pretty much have to fend for themselves. This puts states with particularly old infrastructure like PA in a big bind.

Pennsylvania's rural legislators need to let go of their petty politics and understand that if our cities/urban areas suffer from under investment, the whole state suffers.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
... This problem is definitely not unique to the Philly area, but it is more pronounced here because we have to put more of our limited dollars to maintenance/upgrades than expansion projects. ...
over the years its been easier to fund new highways than to maintain or expand existing ones which is another reason you've seen more construction in sun belt states and a big reason why the US ended up building a highway system it couldn't afford.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM

882 posts, read 1,674,249 times
Quote:
Burlington City, Roebling
Ill give you Bordentown and Riverton...if Burlington and Roebling are considered revitalized now, I cringe to think what they were like 10 years ago.

I agree light rail mass transit is a great thing and something south Jersey needs more of, it would just have been nice if the price paid for the River Line had gotten us direct access to Philly, or late night service. It would also be nice to see more transit villages and other TOD along the line 10 years in.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM

512 posts, read 1,019,886 times
I said revitalizing... not done yet. Transit is only part of the solution to revitalizing urban areas.... they were pretty bad 10 years ago.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,731,914 times
SEPTA as a whole.

It's workers are a drain on the system, the ask for too much, and work too little. At the moment they are just concerned with maintaining what they have, never mind improvements and expansion.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,121,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
SEPTA as a whole.

It's workers are a drain on the system, the ask for too much, and work too little. At the moment they are just concerned with maintaining what they have, never mind improvements and expansion.
I don't know. It seems like driving a bus through our crowded, narrow streets all day is a tough job. Plus dealing with assorted jackasses who ride the system adds to the challenge. Those drivers earn every penny. However, those guys that just sit in the booths at the BSL and MFL stations are another story entirely.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,903,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
It's not in Philly proper, but some argue the Riverline in NJ is a billion-dollar waste. I personally like it, but it does underwhelm with its lack of access to Philly, slow commute times, and 9:00PM last call. Moreover, it has failed to revitalize many of the towns through which it passes. A whole string of walkable downtown villages with public transit access shouldn't look so dull and dingy 10 years into the program.
It was never intended to go to Philly. Ridership has been on the incline for 7 straight years. Its a definite sucess.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,022,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
It was never intended to go to Philly. Ridership has been on the incline for 7 straight years. Its a definite sucess.
Exactly. What's wrong with having a rail line that goes to Mercer County? Mercer County in general is a large employment hub for the region. Why not have easy access to that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia