Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 AM

18 posts, read 16,238 times

Advertisements

East Falls had a pretty crazy high rise housing project. i think it lasted into the 90s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrificationfiend View Post
East Falls had a pretty crazy high rise housing project. i think it lasted into the 90s
The towers were condemned/vacated in 1976 but weren't imploded until 1996. I vaguely remember it but mostly remember the decaying buildings/land viewable on Ridge after the implosion.

Schuylkill Falls Bites Dust 2 Towers Symbolized Public Housing Failures - philly-archives

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09Hao37xlVI

There were also a few public housing developments in Packer Park-where new construction "luxury" townhomes are now built. It was a steady stream of refineries and housing projects on I-76 coming from the Airport. Not the best welcome into the city haha.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,408 times
I remember back in the early to mid 90s there was an HBO mini series about a crack addicted family in the hood of Philly. It was really tough to watch. They were actually beginning to rise out of poverty. The couple was in a stable relationship. Both had good jobs. They were first generation off welfare. Saving money to buy in the burbs. Then the man tried crack and got hooked. The wife also tried it and got hooked. They split up. Lost the kids to DSS. And then the show revolved around their survival and struggle just to get drugs. The crime and prostitution. What happened to their kids.

It was tough to watch.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM

126 posts, read 203,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I remember back in the early to mid 90s there was an HBO mini series about a crack addicted family in the hood of Philly. It was really tough to watch. They were actually beginning to rise out of poverty. The couple was in a stable relationship. Both had good jobs. They were first generation off welfare. Saving money to buy in the burbs. Then the man tried crack and got hooked. The wife also tried it and got hooked. They split up. Lost the kids to DSS. And then the show revolved around their survival and struggle just to get drugs. The crime and prostitution. What happened to their kids.

It was tough to watch.
What was it called? THis sounds interesting lol.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:55 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls128 View Post
What was it called? THis sounds interesting lol.
I just looked it up. It's called "The Corner." It was only six episodes and it was on HBO in 2000. And I was wrong. It was based in Baltimore, not Philly. But it starred Khandi Alexander. She is a beautiful actress. And it showed her physical decline into addiction. As I said earlier, it was difficult to watch this beautiful up and coming family fall into the despair of crack.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,440,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I just looked it up. It's called "The Corner." It was only six episodes and it was on HBO in 2000. And I was wrong. It was based in Baltimore, not Philly. But it starred Khandi Alexander. She is a beautiful actress. And it showed her physical decline into addiction. As I said earlier, it was difficult to watch this beautiful up and coming family fall into the despair of crack.
Yep. If you want to get a movie or tv show made, film the desperation and dysfunction of some poor black people. People love shows like The Corner and The Wire.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 PM

134 posts, read 475,293 times
I'd say that almost all of South Philly south of Snyder fits what you are looking for. These neighborhoods tend to be Italian with a smattering of Irish, Polish, etc. Some of my favorite neighborhoods are on the west side of Broad street south of Passyunk Avenue and particularly around Moyamensing/Penrose Avenue. People kind of forget about it because Point Breeze has such a bad reputation that people tend to stay away from the west side of Broad Street.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 AM

233 posts, read 334,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
I'd say that almost all of South Philly south of Snyder fits what you are looking for. These neighborhoods tend to be Italian with a smattering of Irish, Polish, etc. Some of my favorite neighborhoods are on the west side of Broad street south of Passyunk Avenue and particularly around Moyamensing/Penrose Avenue. People kind of forget about it because Point Breeze has such a bad reputation that people tend to stay away from the west side of Broad Street.
Did you mean to post in this thread? //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...merican-2.html

Old 08-02-2015, 02:08 PM

134 posts, read 475,293 times
Indeed I did. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia