Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 AM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
This essentially means the top tier get in and the rest don't. Few spots are filled by top performing kids. Here is their admission page..
\And I quote..

Grades Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report. Test Scores Both Reading & Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile. If the PSSA is utilized, Reading and Math scores must be submitted in the numerical advanced range. Please Note: You must provide the numerical value for your PSSA score. Other accredited Standardized Test are acceptable

No average kids need not apply, that means.

Penn Alexander and Meredith are elementary schools. I'm talking high schools
In other words, they need to be at least above-average by the standards of a good suburban, open-enrollment public school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,903,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
In other words, they need to be at least above-average by the standards of a good suburban, open-enrollment public school...
The BIG difference is that students that don't achieve 'above average' status in the city go to the worst public schools where in the burbs, ALL the kids get to go to the excellent public schools and get an excellent education no matter if they are 'smarter' or not. See the HUGE difference?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times
Quote:
The BIG difference is that students that don't achieve 'above average' status in the city go to the worst public schools where in the burbs, ALL the kids get to go to the excellent public schools and get an excellent education no matter if they are 'smarter' or not. See the HUGE difference?
Which is why I told the OP that as long as he put some money aside for private high school just in case, he and his kids would be fine.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
Quote:
Charters are lottery(your admittance is up to luck) Magnet schools are for the selected few.. The public school sin Philly are the worst that can be. PERIOD
the selected few....well, since many opt for private, suburbs, or charters, that opens the possibilities up quite a bit.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the selected few....well, since many opt for private, suburbs, or charters, that opens the possibilities up quite a bit.
huh? We are talking about Magnet schools. Pay attention Of course you can go to a burb and select the school you want based on where you move and get in no matter what.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
Quote:
huh? We are talking about Magnet schools. Pay attention Of course you can go to a burb and select the school you want based on where you move and get in no matter what.
i know youre a little slow but since many families leave its not nearly as hard to get into as you think

Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
i know youre a little slow but since many families leave its not nearly as hard to get into as you think
Let me say it again... Average kids need not apply, you guys get to go to your neighborhood school with Police roaming the halls and metal detectors as you walk in..

Grades Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report. Test Scores Both Reading & Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile. If the PSSA is utilized, Reading and Math scores must be submitted in the numerical advanced range. Please Note: You must provide the numerical value for your PSSA score. Other accredited Standardized Test are acceptable

Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,660,583 times
^ What you are overlooking is that it doesn't take all that much to be significantly above average in the Philly public school system.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,660,583 times
It should also be mentioned that even the traditionally good magnet public schools in Philly are NOT immune from the turmoil in the school district right now.
And it should also be acknowledged that many well-regarded suburban districts are facing challenges of their own.
It's a rough time for public education.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,572,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hi all,

I have no immediate plans to move to Philadelphia, but the city has always tugged on my heartstrings. Although my family moved away from the area when I was three (I grew up mostly in Connecticut), my extended family still lives scattered around Philadelphia and the suburbs. My grandmother grew up in Port Richmond, and my Grandfather in East Falls. But mostly it's because I have a daughter now, and a son on the way. They have no first cousins, since my wife and I had brothers who did not have children (and almost certainly will not have them). I have a much younger first cousin on my father's side who is only two years older than my daughter, some of my second cousins have young children, and my first cousins may eventually as well, which is as close as my daughter (and son) will get to cousins close to their age.

So yeah, this is hypothetical. I wouldn't consider this unless something falls through with my job, but I'm still curious about the area. Some background on our needs.

1. We're city people. We live within the city of Pittsburgh in a 19th century rowhouse neighborhood. While I'm okay with living somewhere outside of a city proper provided we lived in a historic neighborhood (we both hate modern construction), my wife is even more anti-suburban than I am, and considers living in a walkable, mixed-use area a requirement.

2. As intimated, we're rowhouse people. My wife considers places with a 6-foot deep front lawn to have too much yard. That said, our current house is only 1,260 square feet, and since we're soon to be a family of four, it's getting cramped, especially with only having one bathroom. It seems like Philly rowhomes are much smaller than in Pittsburgh from what I've seen. Third stories seem rare, for example, where most in Pittsburgh either have traditional peaked or mansard roofs. Still, we'd like something like a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath. And having a house which hasn't had its fascade butchered (through poorly matched windows and the like) is essential. We don't care about garages or off-street parking at all - we only have one car, and don't care if we can't always find a space on our block.

3. We're committed to sending our kids to public school. Here in Pittsburgh we're planning on using the magnet system for our daughter when she turns five. I understand a similar system exists in Philadelphia? We're not scared to send our kids to a predominantly nonwhite school. My daughter has been going to a mostly black daycare for several years, and aside from picking up some black dialect, it's had no negative impact. I would not feel comfortable sending my kids to a monolithicly black school where they would stick out like a sore thumb, but our range of tolerance is much higher than the typical suburbanite.

Anyway, throw some stuff out.
Let's get back to the OP's post and not get bogged down in the Philadelphia school system please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia