Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Move to one of many small towns outside Philly that have older classic homes with excellent public schools.. Do a search for topics about Philly public schools. We work in the system and its BAD..

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...imploding.html
The op said they would want to live IN Philly if the situation arose, NOT in the suburbs. I know it's hard for certain people to comprehend, but some people like cities ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM

177 posts, read 357,040 times
Quote:
Then do NOT move to Philly. The public schools are in shambles and are closing schools as we speak. Move to one of many small towns outside Philly that have older classic homes with excellent public schools.. Do a search for topics about Philly public schools. We work in the system and its BAD..

Honestly, how many jobs do you have? You've claimed to have at least three different ones now, I believe.

Quote:
Charters are lottery(your admittance is up to luck) Magnet schools are for the selected few.. The public school sin Philly are the worst that can be. PERIOD
I'm guessing your "excellent" suburban district needs more students or families to keep the facade going huh

Time to preach about the fire and brimstone you personally know is coming to Philadelphia due to a source you know or because you work in that business of course.

Quote:
This essentially means the top tier get in and the rest don't. Few spots are filled by top performing kids. Here is their admission page..
\And I quote.. http://www.centralhigh.net/pages/Cen...Nav/Admissions

No average kids need not apply, that means.

Penn Alexander and Meredith are elementary schools. I'm talking high schools
Are any of the OP's kids even high school age?

Quote:
The BIG difference is that students that don't achieve 'above average' status in the city go to the worst public schools where in the burbs, ALL the kids get to go to the excellent public schools and get an excellent education no matter if they are 'smarter' or not. See the HUGE difference?
Your schools aren't anywhere near as excellent as you think they are.

How many of those kids with their "excellent" education can't even spell or use proper grammar? There seems to be quite a lot.

Quote:
Let me say it again... Average kids need not apply, you guys get to go to your neighborhood school with Police roaming the halls and metal detectors as you walk in..

Grades Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report. Test Scores Both Reading & Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile. If the PSSA is utilized, Reading and Math scores must be submitted in the numerical advanced range. Please Note: You must provide the numerical value for your PSSA score. Other accredited Standardized Test are acceptable
Because you know, of course, having grown up in Bucks County and not likely sending your kids to public school during your stay in Northeast Philadelphia.

It's amazing this guy has been allowed to go on like this for so long without so much as a warning.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Then do NOT move to Philly. The public schools are in shambles and are closing schools as we speak. Move to one of many small towns outside Philly that have older classic homes with excellent public schools.. Do a search for topics about Philly public schools. We work in the system and its BAD..

I personally would never send my kids to the cities public schools. However there are a fair amount of Asian, Jewish, Indian and others that are a product of the cities public schools and go on to be fine lawyers, doctors and engineers. The point being if one wants to learn, they can in the public school system.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM

23 posts, read 36,104 times
I wish you well in your search. While I admire your commitment to sending your children to public school, I would do some deep reading about the state of the public schools in Philadelphia.

The schools here are a real tragedy. Teachers often have to buy their own paper to make copies, some students don't have books. Half of all Philadelphia public school students drop out by 9th grade. I'm not kidding, it's that bad.

While the choice is certainly yours, just be sure to do some reading on it on Philly.com or any other place. The poor state of our educational system is well-known. If you come from a decent city system, sometimes it seems unthinkable that a system could exist that is as bad as people say...unfortunately, this one is.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie8849 View Post
I wish you well in your search. While I admire your commitment to sending your children to public school, I would do some deep reading about the state of the public schools in Philadelphia.

The schools here are a real tragedy. Teachers often have to buy their own paper to make copies, some students don't have books. Half of all Philadelphia public school students drop out by 9th grade. I'm not kidding, it's that bad.

While the choice is certainly yours, just be sure to do some reading on it on Philly.com or any other place. The poor state of our educational system is well-known. If you come from a decent city system, sometimes it seems unthinkable that a system could exist that is as bad as people say...unfortunately, this one is.

Nahh its your imagination, Julie.. Just ask s1oozne. He says the school system in Philly is great! he must be right!!??

Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Nahh its your imagination, Julie.. Just ask s1oozne. He says the school system in Philly is great! he must be right!!??
Unfortunately, that member is no longer available to comment.

Bottom line: if a household is determined to embrace city living, they will find a way to make it work. We certainly do a good job on this forum of providing the benefits and challenges of doing so.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:26 PM

461 posts, read 748,464 times
Eschaton, I'm from the Pittsburgh board since that is where I live now, but was in Philly for 11 years. I think that your family would enjoy West Philly, particularly University City, although it is quite expensive now; or Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill - although your wife might feel that they are too suburban - for their decent schools. Both areas are well served by transit, have good restaurants, and active community groups working to maintain the quality of life for their diverse residents.

e

Old 10-03-2013, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,974 times
We have loved Philly for a long time, and called it home for almost a decade. But now that we are trying to have a family, we are getting out as fast as we can. The schools are so staggeringly terrible, it makes me sick. If you're into home schooling, there are a lot of parent groups who get together & do that kind of thing, or if you have college tuition style money to pay for a good (read: NOT Catholic) private school, you will be fine. But if you really feel strongly about public schooling for your kids, don't even think about Philly.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, here. I just see so many of my friend who are parents struggling with the city & neighborhoods they love, yet knowing how bad it is in the Philly school system. Most operate without any sports, arts, music, etc programs- many operate without things like a nurse, or a staff to do things like call you if your kid isn't in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia