Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times

Advertisements

Once you study the map and find Horsham you will discover that some of these suggestions are impossibly impractical, even if they would suit your needs otherwise. Remember once you hit the ground there is no time to waste on a wild goose chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinegnesin View Post
Thanks so much you guys!
Mt Airy is starting to sound tempting...... I really appreciate the poster who clarified the suburban vs urban parts. My husband is trying to talk me into it.... When I visit in a few weeks we will be staying at Rittenhouse sq. Will it be hard to get to Mt Airy for a visit on transit from there? My mom will have a car but I like to practice using public transit to see how its going to be.

I'm thinking if we like Mt airy on this visit we might stay there in November when we visit again with my husband. Our final move date is January 1st.
Skip the public transit this time. Mt Airy has it but it will take twice as long as the car, you will miss a lot and you just don't have the time. I'm not sure it wouldn't be smarter to stay near Horsham and drive to the neighborhoods of interest from there if only to see what your husband will face every day. (Your driving from NY yes?) There is no question you will love Rittenhouse Square. It is a great place to vacation, sight see, shop and have fun but isn't this a working trip?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinegnesin View Post
Thanks so much you guys!
Mt Airy is starting to sound tempting...... I really appreciate the poster who clarified the suburban vs urban parts. My husband is trying to talk me into it.... When I visit in a few weeks we will be staying at Rittenhouse sq. Will it be hard to get to Mt Airy for a visit on transit from there? My mom will have a car but I like to practice using public transit to see how its going to be.

I'm thinking if we like Mt airy on this visit we might stay there in November when we visit again with my husband. Our final move date is January 1st.
Suburban Station is the closest train station to Rittenhouse, at 16th and JFK. You take the regional rail, either Chestnut Hill West, getting off at Allen Lane, Carpenter, or Upsal. Or Chestnut Hill East, getting off at Stenton, Sedgwick, or Mt. Airy. Allen Lane (West) and Sedgwick Station (East) are the closest stations to the avenue on the respective lines.

The actual time that it takes to use public transit versus driving is pretty similar (30 minutes Allen Lane to Suburban, 24 minutes Sedgwick to Market East), in contradiction to what another poster said. The main thing is that this is a railroad system, not a rapid transit system, so frequencies are only every 30-60 minutes, which can be a pain. I wind up taking the subway to the bus a lot myself as opposed to waiting, even though I have the train pass, - but it's a less peaceful trip, to say the least, and you do wind up going through/transferring in some of Philadelphia's less picturesque neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia