Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 48,292 times

Advertisements

My family and I are very likey relocating to the Delaware County area and I was wondering if anyone could give me ratings on the school districts. So far all I have found out is that Radnor is at the top and Chester Upland is at the bottom. Could anyone tell me how the other districts are in relation to these two? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM

179 posts, read 1,067,224 times
delco school districts
Radnor, well they have more money than anyone else, taxes are higher than anywhere else also so are the housing prices
Havertown is excellent, lower taxes and more reasonable housing prices, great community!!
Newtown Square, very good also, lowest taxes in delco, housing about the same as havertown maybe slightly higher but the lot sizes are better

those are the top 3 areas

Media, swathmore not bad ehhh
ridley great for sports, decent area very blue collar and racially mixed
Upper Darby, over crowded, high taxes, some good areas, some BAD areas

You can also check out www.schoolmatters.com to check out the numbers for each school district

Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,909 times
Thumbs down Chester-Upland School District

Avoid the Chester-Upland at all costs! My sister's boys are in that district. She can't tell me often enough that it is "the worst"!!! Every week she has another horror story about the goings-on there. She did think well of Upper Darby High though.

Last edited by MoonlightMadness; 11-03-2006 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: included another thought

Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM

35 posts, read 78,464 times
I would rate them in this order.

Radnor
Rose Tree Media
Wallingford-Swarthmore
Garnet Valley
Marple Newtown
Springfield
Penn Delco
Ridley
Upper Darby
Southeast Delco
Chester Upland

The bottom 3 I would personally avoid. The middle 4 are solid. The top 4 are superior.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 48,292 times
Default Thanks Everyone

thanks for all of the help. i think we are going to mostly look in havertown or the marple newtown areas.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:07 PM

excellent choice!!! You will not be disappointed

Old 11-11-2006, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 32,324 times
What about William Penn? (I assume if you put Upper Darby at the bottom of the list, then Wm. Penn will be down there, too?)

Old 11-11-2006, 03:40 PM

yes will penn is just about at the bottom in the darby area

Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 60,199 times
WAAAA.

Wallingford-Swarthmore School District is the best I've ever been in and the public high school woops up on even Radnor academically...and does so with plenty of working-class kids. It's like classic small town America which is why we moved here. 30% of the school is in the Band i.e. not just for geeks and a great art program and the football team is routinely tops in the area.

Oh, as a former Executive Director of non-profit organizations I've been in 60 different schools and the management of the elementary schools here is incredible.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,641 times
Hello I am reviving this post, we are looking at a good school district (but not Radnor) in the upper part of Delaware county. Specifically also something good for special needs (language issues).
Thank you so very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia