Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 PM

52 posts, read 127,942 times

Advertisements

Hi gang! It's been a while since I've logged in.... as I've been pretty content with my Ambler area living situation. But, the time has come where I find myself ready to say screw the 'burbs, and split a place with a couple friends in the city.

So I had a lot of questions... but first let me tell you about myself:

I'm 37, but don't look a day over 25. I'm very knowledgeable about music, and am pretty capable playing any instrument (drums are my main, guitar and bass 2nd, keys 3rd... I sing, too). In the Ambler area and a great amount of the Montco 'burbs.... NO ONE IS INTO ANYTHING GOOD. It's impossible to network with musicians who aren't tools playing awful dated music. I know that the people that are into the good stuff are in the city, and that's one of the many reasons the city is beckoning me.

I'm a music teacher by day... I work close to my house. I have no problem buying a Zone 3 pass, taking my bike on the train, or walking to work and walking back home. So it's helpful to have a job going in, even though it's a job I've had in the burbs for six years.

I'm dying to get involved regularly with the Philly indie music scene, specifically the good folk stuff like Lucy Stone, etc... I love that stuff and would kill to drum for her or be her bassist or something. I haven't done anything serious with music for about 8 years since my last band dissolved.

I read that the Philly scene is either "thriving" or "sucks...." My friend is in the scene and thriving, though he plays ultrafast hardcore/punk stuff, with a female vocalist. He's down with the West Philly punks and whatnot, and that's great, but I'm more of a mellow dude (at my age, I largely left the punk fury behind, almost a decade ago). These days I love the folky stuff, and from what I see online and gather from what people are listening to, this is a big scene, though I don't know how big in Philly.

So that's me in a nutshell...

My two friends-- one goes to Drexel (freshman), he's from Iran and an insanely nice and cool guy. The other is also cool, and is a professor at Villanova (his recent girlfriend lives in West Philly, around 50th). I am the only one out of my small group who does not drink at all, nor smoke, nor do drugs. I am straightedge and plan on staying that way forever. I realize I'm in the minority... drinking is just about the least interesting and most unoriginal activity I can think of, other than staring at the wall.

So, the one friend (Villanova guy)... wants to move in three months. This isn't feasible for the Drexel dude and I. We're thinking more May/June 2014.

They kind of have their hearts set on West Philly/University City... and I'm more Center City... I know it's a stone's throw away, really... I mean hell, walk 20 minutes and you're in the heart of it all. Still, I love the CC vibe, more than West Philly's.

So, now... the important stuff... our budget/needs, etc.

We each basically pay about $500-600 for rent, in the house we share (that's util/cable/internet included). I make about $2000 a month, the other guys make a little less, but also have less debt than me (but the one dude likes to eat out a lot, and go out drinking at least once a week), so I think our net income/money saved is all about the same, at the end of the day. We would like to find a row or something (three bedrooms of course) for $1500-1800. One bathroom is fine. Something with those thick-ass walls ("party walls"? "fire walls?") I have no idea. Anyway... since two of us are musicians/songwriters, we don't want the next-door-knocks, especially if we're working on music during the day. Now... when I say music... I don't mean noise. I mean acoustic guitar strumming, some quiet singing, playing on an electronic drumset with headphones (that's me mostly). My kit is INSANELY quiet (mesh heads, custom made).. but you can still hear the tap-tapping. Also, all three of us LOVE my projector, and my surround sound setup that we have at our current house (we're movie guys). We realize we couldn't be as loud... but could we be kind of loud with the subwoofer occasionally, or on weekends?

I occasionally like to listen to music medium-loud (only during the day)... same with the Villanova guy. So, again.. wondering if a row is the best option, and WHERE?

Can anything around $1800 be found in CC (like the center center)... even if it's small? Or will that amount find us a much cooler spot in West Philly? According to my research (well, craigslist)... seems that CC is out of the question.

We don't want to live past 50th... and we know that a lot of the homes around like... 46th or whatever and Locust are INSANELY NICE... it looks exactly like Los Angeles suburbs there (I lived outside of LA a decade ago).... but I'm wondering if something can be found in that range.

Also... I should say that we all own cars, but myself and the Drexel dude are happy to sell ours (I have a 99 Toyoya corolla.. some cosmetic stuff on the hood (tree fell on it, some rust), but nothing major... runs great, 117k miles). I think I can get about $2500-2800 for the car.. which helps with the city adjustment/financial cushion.

I often wonder about musicians who actively play in bands, how they get to and fro, without vehicles, specifically the drummers. Do they leave a kit at a rehearsal space or house? Do they only play shows with bands willing to let them use their kit and/or amp? Do they only play shows at venues with a house kit (maybe bringing a cymbal bag on their shoulders, and a snare bag in their hand?) All of these questions are hard to find the answers to unless you know some Philly people in the scene, and I know no one (yet).

Here are some random questions for the West Philly crew, and or the "alternative" people out there (I will not use the term hipster, as it's just a stupid term for people who are generally just knowledgeable about music, films, and literature). Back in high school, we were known as "freaks". So again, I use the term "alternative" people (readers, music collectors, people who actually know that Hal Hartley and Edward Burns are indie film directors, and not future Eagles wide receivers)....

1. What are some of your favorite record stores (and where are they), and which ones don't have douchebag employees who laugh at you because you might like Ingrid Michaelson, in addition to Neutral Milk Hotel?

2. Who's vegan and/or health-conscious (juicing, etc) and where can you go for good stuff like that, that isn't ridiculously expensive?

3. Favorite cafes that aren't too crowded, that have a good mix of nice people into cool stuff?

4. Do any of you actively bike around, as opposed to walking? My friend Ryan says biking is pretty safe as you're simply going too fast for people to mess with you (if you find yourself in the path of a shady group or single character)... and this is not a racist statement... I've been messed with far more in my life by dumb-ass white kids than I've ever been messed with by black guys.... his point is, when you're on a bike, it's tougher for people to mess with you.

5. Food Co-Op or Whole Foods/Trader Joe's? I know NOTHING about Food Co-Ops. Just saw the outside of one the other night at midnight.

6. Do the males out there find that the city girls are a bit nicer/friendly/willing to talk to a random dude more so than the suburban girls? I find the suburban girls to be a mixture of boring, shallow, and completely rude. And FORGET about meeting a suburban girl with the online dating sites. I can't even get them to respond to a kind, mature message. The Philly girls, I've found... are way cooler and apt to respond. Friends of mine who have met girls at bars and other gatherings (in Center City) say that girls can sometimes be so cool as to even let these guys crash at their place after a night of drinking (no sex, no fooling around), after the girls know that my friends are good dudes and have no dishonorable intentions... man, try to find that in Ambler. Not gonna happen.

I realize this is all a novel.
.. but I GREATLY appreciate any tips. I am 37, as mentioned above, and I have never lived in the city, though my whole life, everyone who "gets" me... says that that's exactly where I should be. I've come to a point in my life where I feel I'm ready for the next stage/level... I refuse to give up finding good musicians to work with, and I refuse to sit here and rot away in the burbs. I've got too much to offer this world than just raising a family and not doing anything artistic and stuff... and no offense to any families out there... I'm just saying. I think the time is NOW to network and have some fun and meet some girls who actually read, and listen to good music and know about great "indie" stuff.

Thanks so much for all your help,
Chris

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: watch the profanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
2. Who's vegan and/or health-conscious (juicing, etc) and where can you go for good stuff like that, that isn't ridiculously expensive?
My wife is vegan and there are many options for her (where as suburbs virtually none), I don't particularly pay attention to them though.

3. Favorite cafes that aren't too crowded, that have a good mix of nice people into cool stuff?
Too many choices for cafes etc. When you get tired of the ones like this you'll find a lot of the next variety.

4. Do any of you actively bike around, as opposed to walking?
Biking is awesome, don't know if I'll do it much in the winter though. The cars here are used to people driving bikes on the street.

5. Food Co-Op or Whole Foods/Trader Joe's?
There are a lot of healthy options outside these too. IE the reading terminal market has excellent produce / meats.

6. Do the males out there find that the city girls are a bit nicer/friendly/willing to talk to a random dude more so than the suburban girls?
The girls here are awesome, first place I've ever seen gilfs. Very easy, actually still have a life and are fun instead of recoiled and wretched or inaccessible.

I refuse to sit here and rot away in the burbs.
We come across more activity in a day or two then we used to sometimes in a month. Moving down here was the equivalent (imo) of saving our lives.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks!

Any musicians want to chime in?

Still curious about this stuff.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 AM

Anyone? Surely there are some musicians out there.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Anyone play music in Philly? Last I heard and saw... oh, about.. 5,000 or so people? Surely someone is a musician or knows one, on this forum... haha. Thanks guys!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Musician here in a pretty active, long-time Philly band. I've spent time living in West Philly, and will again, though not currently.

A) We've played with 3 different drummers over the years but none of them have been sans car. We currently practice in a space that has a kit, so our drummer only brings his cymbals, but he still needs to bring his full kit to shows, usually. We probably would pass on a drummer without a reliable way to get his/her kit to shows. But we're not a folk band - you may find what you're looking for in that scene. Still - I wouldn't necessarily approach a band with "I will always have to have the backline shared with me" - make a plan B for those occasions when you'll need to bring your full kit to a show.

B) This folky band called SnagWing is looking for a percussionist. You might want to look them up and reach out to them. They're a guitar / violin duo (seem pretty good, from what I've heard, though I don't know that they're incredibly established yet), so are looking for someone to play only a partial kit. Could be right up your alley.

C) I totally hear you on wanting to live in Center City. I really adore West Philly, but I have a friend in CC who adores that. He can walk to places like PhilaMoca, Milkboy, and Underground Arts, but it's hard to get him to come out to other parts of town like West Philly or Fishtown. Me, having a car in West Philly (and being unhesitant to use the trolleys), I feel like I got around more in the time I lived in the city. There are pros and cons to each place. If possible, look for opportunities to sublet a place for a weekend (or stay in a b&b type place), in each neighborhood, to get a feel for getting around.

1) Not my forte, but the record store on Baltimore Ave. between 49th & 50th seems to have very friendly, knowledgeable but non-judgemental staff.

2) I've heard vegans rave about Govinda's. In West Philly, there's a place on 45th & Baltimore. There's the Hibiscus Juice Bar at 50th & Catherine (by Cedar Park). Brown Sugar on 52nd.

5) Mariposa Co-Op at 49th & Baltimore. I'm not going to lie, it's small and pricey. Very pricey. But if you can afford to buy a few things there, it benefits the community. And the produce is very fresh.

6) Join a band, don't be a jerk, and watch the girls flow in. Ladies love the drummers. Hang out by the merch table after your shows - they'll approach you. Just don't have a mullet (even an ironic one!) and face tatts.

Good luck to you, Chris! You and I have a lot in common. You are making the right decision - you're clearly ready for something more out of life, and I think you will find it in Philly. If I can figure out a way to do it privately, I'll put you in touch with a drummer friend of mine who works with some folk bands (lives in Kensington) - he may be able to answer some questions.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-16-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: watch the language

Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
If you have more questions on the music scene, though I'm not a drummer (and in fact don't play a traditional band instrumenta at all), I might be able to answer them. My knowledge base is more the indie pop / rock scene.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 AM

THANKS for reaching out! I'll write more tomorrow after sleep.

Thanks again for the info... really!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Hi, sorry I forgot to check in... can anyone else chime in here? Still curious, still doing as much research as I can.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia