Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
You'll get worse in any other city on the West Coast or in Manhattan. Grow a thicker skin and ignore the haters.
For the record, I think the OP is trolling, and this isn't a serious thread.

But, having lived in NYC and the West Coast, both are 'anything goes' types of areas. In NYC, you will literally see every kind of clothing choice on planet earth, and you really don't have time to comment on it all.

Out on the West Coast, there isn't any concensus on what's appropriate or not appropriate.

But, pretty much EVERYWHERE ELSE in the U.S., people generally DO have a consensus on what is inappropriate or appropriate. As I google 'Men's Yoga Pants', I'd probably ONLY wear those if I were on the West Coast or NYC. I wouldn't wear them anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For the record, I think the OP is trolling, and this isn't a serious thread.

But, having lived in NYC and the West Coast, both are 'anything goes' types of areas. In NYC, you will literally see every kind of clothing choice on planet earth, and you really don't have time to comment on it all.

Out on the West Coast, there isn't any concensus on what's appropriate or not appropriate.

But, pretty much EVERYWHERE ELSE in the U.S., people generally DO have a consensus on what is inappropriate or appropriate. As I google 'Men's Yoga Pants', I'd probably ONLY wear those if I were on the West Coast or NYC. I wouldn't wear them anywhere else.

Note I said Manhattan, not NYC as a whole. I've already been through this. It depends on where you are in Manhattan.

And yeah, in LA if you dress like that, you'll get people talking smack about you.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM

166 posts, read 278,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Take a photo of your exact outfit the day you were railed, blur out your face and post here--let everyone (fairly) be the judge to see if Philly is really mean, or if Philly was just keeping it real.

I mean, there's more than a decent chance that you looked absolutely absurd and, in fact, these people making these comments were doing you a favor (saving you from future public embarrassment).
I get your point. No more yoga pants. I'll just wear sweatpants instead!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
I get your point. No more yoga pants. I'll just wear sweatpants instead!
FTR, I don't think shouting out insults at a stranger minding his own business is "keeping it real." Quite the opposite, actually. But there's no shortage of jerkoffs in this world (Philly or otherwise) and you just have to brush it off.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Yes, please note that in Philly you can wear pajama pants in public, but yoga pants and you're asking for ridicule! One solution: bring pajama pants to the gym to throw over your yoga pants.

I wear pajama pants to the corner store and that's it. The only time I went further than my block is when someone picked me up and we went around the corner to McDonald's and then I was inside ordering my food with pajama pants on.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I wear pajama pants to the corner store and that's it. The only time I went further than my block is when someone picked me up and we went around the corner to McDonald's and then I was inside ordering my food with pajama pants on.
Well clearly I was being 100% serious and talking about every single Philadelphian in that post. So you were right to jump in to correct me!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
Please help, every day my body seems to have to pass gas on the SEPTA train around 4:30pm. I try and hold it in, but sometimes it just flaps out and then people around me start making faces and wonder that that smell is. I'm not up on the Philly subway etiquette, so how do you people deal with, uhm, bodily functions? Sometimes I have to burp or cough, and whenever I do people on the train give me dirty looks. It's not like I can just hold in coughs and burps! Even when I try to make them subtle I still get dirty looks!

Please help, I can't help but fart while riding the EL train sometimes and it's really embarrassing!
No wonder everyone is so rude to you in Philly!!

You smell like S#!+ LMAO

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
well clearly i was being 100% serious and talking about every single philadelphian in that post. So you were right to jump in to correct me!
LOL, clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia