Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Could anybody tell me which Main Line towns, if any, are more young professionals/singles oriented?

Also, are there more crime problems in some of the Main Line towns vs. others?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
The Mainline towns aren't geared for singles or young couples. The typical Mainline household is a middle aged family with children or empty nesters. As you can imagine, the cost of housing on the Mainline is quite high, and there are few amenities geared towards younger people (bars, clubs, hip restaurants). If you really want to be on the Mainline, your best bet may be the apartment complexes along City Line Avenue in Bala Cynwyd.

I'd suggest you look at Manayunk for a singles scene, or even Chestnut Hill.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Explain to me the reference to "Main Line" when referring to the Philadelphia area please.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
Explain to me the reference to "Main Line" when referring to the Philadelphia area please.
I tried to find a very good post that someone (perhaps rainrock) put here but I couldn't find it, so I'll provide my own version (borrowing liberally from my recollection of previously referenced post).

Physically speaking, one could say the Main Line comprises several towns that lead NW of the city on or near route 30 towards Lancaster County. The Main Line used to mean the Pennsylvania Railroad on which early suburbanites commuted into the city. Today it is still served by a commuter rail train; however, as with other metros, there is more and more reverse commuting going on as opportunities grow out there.

Socially speaking, one could say that the Main Line is a "state of mind". It's the wealthiest area in the metro and has an "elitist" reputation although, from reading here, it appears that is more an alleged attribute of the "new money" families than the "old money".

All of that concentrated wealth bodes well for the schools in that area as they are generally considered the best in the region. (There are certainly many other reputable schools elsewhere in the suburbs and, dare I say, even the city.) It has also been said here that while the Main Line is ideal for families who can afford the price tag, singles may be lacking options that can be found in the city proper. However, I can say from personal experience that I found Bryn Mawr interesting. I have also heard (but not yet experienced) that Wayne has a vibrant "town center" that is attractive for singles as well.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
However, I can say from personal experience that I found Bryn Mawr interesting. I have also heard (but not yet experienced) that Wayne has a vibrant "town center" that is attractive for singles as well.

Wayne is very Family oriented, small boutique-like shops too. I would say that Main Line area is home to a lot of small colleges, Villanova and St Josephs being the biggest and most famous (basketball teams). Also Bryn Mawr College, which tho' small has a monster endowment due to its rep as a Seven Sister to the original mens Ivy Leagues. So, although MainLine is all about old money and huge houses, (Andy Reid, the Eagles coach lives in Villanova), theres plenty of Coeds walking around. But strangely, not the college commercial scene you'd find at the big universities (big bars, lots of youthful funky shops) like at Wisconsin or UCLA or Boston College.

For a 20's single scene, you should try Manayunk. If older, Center City for sure.

Last edited by leighland; 12-03-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: added manayunk

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Pennsylvania Main Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA - I see Tone started a thread with this site.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,182 times
Thanks to all for explaining

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 22,505 times
Default thanks for your message

"For a 20's single scene, you should try Manayunk. If older, Center City for sure.[/quote]"

Thanks for your message. Yeah, since I'm single and in my late 30s Center City would be ideal. However, I just got a job in King of Prussia and I hear the commute would be crazy.

The main line towns though did seem really charming. I was just hoping there were going to be some young single professionals around there.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Check out Narberth and Ardmore.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navesinknight View Post
The main line towns though did seem really charming. I was just hoping there were going to be some young single professionals around there.
There are single professionals here for sure. Living in one of many "Charming Vintage" (read old and run down) apartments on Montgomery avenue, mostly owned by marks apartment company. But I would say the yuppies do most of their socializing downtown and use the R5 a LOT. You could live up here and just use SEPTA to hit the more mature scene in CC on your off time. There are a FEW hang out places here, such as Borders or the Milkboy coffee shops on Lancaster, but not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia