Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I'm moving to Philadelphia in August to start grad school at La Salle University! I currently live about 8 hours away from Philly so I'm trying to do most of my apartment hunting online but I'm overwhelmed with trying to figure out which neighborhoods are the safest but not super expensive. I will be taking all evening classes and hopefully find a part-time job during the day. I'm a young female so safety is important to me when choosing an area but I am also going to be living on a very tight budget. I don't mind traveling into the city for entertainment, I would rather be closer to the school or my job, grocery stores, a (safe) place to walk/run. I would like to live in an area with other young (20s-30s) people who are studying/working, but definitely not a college party area. What neighborhoods do you recommend and what should I be expecting to pay in rent? Any advice/suggestions at all would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
For LaSalle? Probably Manayunk

Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
For LaSalle? Probably Manayunk
Manayunk isn't a bad suggestion, with the caveat that it's a post-grad party environment.

If you want somewhere quiet and would like to save more in rent, Roxborough, East Falls, or West Mt. Airy might be good options.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
east mt airy. 18 bus to lasalle and subway, quiet , cheap , train to the city. manayunk , east falls , roxborough are decent options as well but probably more expensive

Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
east mt airy. 18 bus to lasalle and subway, quiet , cheap , train to the city. manayunk , east falls , roxborough are decent options as well but probably more expensive
East Mt. Airy can get a bit dicey in parts. East Falls, Roxborough, and West Mt. Airy are probably right in the middle of Manayunk/East Mt. Airy in terms of price.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 AM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
East Mt. Airy can get a bit dicey in parts. East Falls, Roxborough, and West Mt. Airy are probably right in the middle of Manayunk/East Mt. Airy in terms of price.
Much of East Mt Airy isn't dicey and it is very conveniently located in relation to LaSalle. What the OP could do if she looks in EMA is to limit her search to to rentals from Vernon Rd northward.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 PM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
I am living in Manayunk and it is awesome. The most crime we have are drunk people leaving trash sometimes. Maybe some thefts but overall it is very safe and neighbors look out for one another.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
what parts are dicey?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what parts are dicey?
Some blocks between Chew and Germantown Ave closer to Germantown, but otherwise EMA is a great neighborhood albeit pretty sleepy. I think the dicey parts look much worse than they are.

I agree with your post tho-the 18 Bus is very quick as Chew turns into Olney Ave. It would also be an easy bike commute.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Some blocks between Chew and Germantown Ave closer to Germantown, but otherwise EMA is a great neighborhood albeit pretty sleepy. I think the dicey parts look much worse than they are.
That's probably fair. I was helping a friend look for apartments in Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy (convenient to the Chestnut Hill West Line) and we were a bit turned off by Mt. Airy's Germantown Avenue corridor. It didn't feel in any way dangerous, but at the same time, we didn't think aggressive panhandlers hanging outside the Wawa in an outer-lying city neighborhood during the day were the best sign, either. Chestnut Hill has more going on anyway.

On the other hand, we went to nearby Earth Bread & Brewery the other night, and it was fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia