Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 PM

610 posts, read 698,983 times

Advertisements

This is a follow up to a post I made earlier. My girlfriend and I are considering, among other places, a move to Philadelphia. So I asked where the majority of African and Caribbean immigrants in Philly resided (we are involved with a non-profit doing work in Africa and eventually the Caribbean). I was told West Philly. So.... Can people give me some names of some neighborhoods in West Philly that a.) have a lot going on, b.) are readily bike-able, and c.) aren't COMPLETELY blighted? That way I can do some research. I can deal with rough neighborhoods. But just outright decaying and depressing is a little lower on my tolerance threshold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
I would check out along Baltimore Avenue from say 42nd to 52nd. Maybe anywhere along 45th street to 52nd street on any street between Market Street and the SEPTA train tracks to the south of Baltimore Avenue.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
It might be helpful to use this 2010 race map to see which neighborhoods are mixed with a black population.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5293/...a1292b_o_d.png

It appears that the two areas that are mixed are west philly and lower rittenhouse near / above south st. I would suggest looking into the area near south street / west of broad.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM

275 posts, read 416,081 times
There's a thriving African/Caribbean immigrant community along Woodland Ave, but it's not the nicest area (decent amount of crime). It's also further from Center City. As others have said, Baltimore Ave would fit the bill too. It is a bit more expensive, but safer.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
A neighborhood worth considering is Walnut Hill - roughly centered from 43rd to 52nd Street and Walnut Street. Much of it is technically within University City, so it a bit safer and tidier than other parts of West Philly, but not as expensive as Spruce Hill. Several African Markets, restaurants like Abyssinia on 45th and Saad's Halal House also on 45th. Baltimore Ave. up to 50th Street, although it does have a couple of long time entrenched African businesses, is fairly gentrified and has some upscale restaurants and shops.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 PM

610 posts, read 698,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A neighborhood worth considering is Walnut Hill - roughly centered from 43rd to 52nd Street and Walnut Street. Much of it is technically within University City, so it a bit safer and tidier than other parts of West Philly, but not as expensive as Spruce Hill. Several African Markets, restaurants like Abyssinia on 45th and Saad's Halal House also on 45th. Baltimore Ave. up to 50th Street, although it does have a couple of long time entrenched African businesses, is fairly gentrified and has some upscale restaurants and shops.
"Gentrified" and "upscale," for me, personally, are turn-offs to an area. I'm willing to live somewhere rough if my neighbors are the kinds of folks I'd like. I don't like upscale anything, usually. 99 times out of 100 I feel out of place and uncomfortable. I'll take dirty and broken down with people that are like me to nice and new with people I can't relate to whatsoever any day.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
from Out of the Way Philly Restaurants I Like - Philadelphia - Chowhound -

Quote:
1) Le Mendingue, SW Philly -- SW Philly is home to Philly's ridiculously large native African population. Most are originally from Liberia, but folks from Sierra Leone, Ghana and Nigeria are also well represented. There are a few African-food places down in SW that are worth investigating. The one I hit up is named "Le Mendinque." The folks who own this place are originally from Sierra Leone but the food is really representative of various West African cuisines. I had this fish dish w/ plantains and a stew made of cassava leaves w/ various meats.
My favorite part about the place -- the people were absolutely shocked that a nerdy white guy was in the restaurant. It's super authentic and really cool.
It's on 66th and Woodland. Be careful -- this neighborhood is one of the worst in the city. But there's plenty of parking right on Woodland which is a really busy and well-lit street.
I suggest getting a hold of the guy who wrote that article.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
"Gentrified" and "upscale," for me, personally, are turn-offs to an area. I'm willing to live somewhere rough if my neighbors are the kinds of folks I'd like. I don't like upscale anything, usually. 99 times out of 100 I feel out of place and uncomfortable. I'll take dirty and broken down with people that are like me to nice and new with people I can't relate to whatsoever any day.
I understand your point of view. I still suggest Walnut Hill because it is an interesting neighborhood that is still affordable and down to earth, although "urban issues" do pop up once in while. Other University City neighborhoods like Spruce Hill, Garden Court, Woodland Terrace, Powelton Village and even Cedar Park have been going through gentrification without a doubt.

There are a lot of both Caribbean and African immigrant communities scattered all over West Philly, and although some areas are rough you'll find some very liveable areas as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:01 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
by carribean i take it you mean jamaican not dominican or puerto rican?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 AM

96 posts, read 252,426 times
I can help saying Im young and from WP... Here's some neighborhoods from my prospective of growing up here. 17 now. Public school raised.

MAP: http://www.wpre.com/wp-content/uploa...hborhoods2.jpg

RICH!!!! - Already explained xD

OVERBROOK HILLS: ABOVE Malvern Ave, WYNNEFIELD HILLS: Above Wynnefield.

COLLEGE SECTION INCLUDED: University City, Walnut Hill, Cedar Hill, Garden Court, SW Cedar Park, Spruce Hill, U PENN

MIDDLE CLASS - Good enough black people, not saying they not black americans but they're okay enough where they're not grimy.:

OVERBROOK above Lansdowne Ave (There's this Jamaican store that sells Jamaican food to the 6500 block of Lansdowne Ave (65th & Lansdowne Ave), WYNNEFIELD, WYNNEFIELD HEIGHTS, OVERBROOK PARK: The little section to the left of Overbrook

WORKING CLASS - Okay, some crime, not enough to really be upset about, just stay out the streets and learn your block (Your neighbors, local shop owners, etc):

CARROLL PARK, EAST PARKSIDE, WEST PARKSIDE, WOODLAND TERRANCE

LOWER CLASS - Griminess, poverty, barely any dads, grandmas as parents, etc:

HADDINGTON, MANTUA, MILL CREEK, DUNLAP, COBBS CREEK (Wait... there's some blocks that's good around here, like around Baltimore Ave could be okay at best.)

(WARNING: There's innocents in every neighborhood, just incase you never been in a ghetto, there's things like block parties, house parties, local parks, recreational centers and good stuff for people in the summertime, not all bad at all.)

My Suggestion: Carroll Park, I have a few pure african friends from here from Africa, not a bad neighborhood at all. (but not good, for reasons like drugs but if you stay out the way of drug dealers like not to shout at them or something [its a little bit of them and they not here to hurt innocents really] and stay in when it comes night time, you'll be good, and some other things thats everywhere)

Southwest Philadelphia: Another place where its ALOT of immigrants because of the International Airport, just find a neighborhood, its all bad around there because some bad poverty.

One more thing, since you're moving, I gotta tell you something important. The schools are hell (Mainly because bad childhoods, 99% black, culture, drugs, bad housing) after elementary school, so keep up your son/daughter grades and put them into charter schools, you'll thank me later... Sorry to get into your personal life

Last edited by rofl33cat; 05-07-2014 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Added Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia