Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

I am considering Philadephia as a possible place to live because there seems to be a decent number of jobs on Indeed.com and housing in the burbs is reasonable. I am a 40 year old single woman and I am seeking a place with a small town feel. I would like to live close to the park and library. I also would like to be close to a supermarket like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. A market with good produce would suffice. It appears Media or West Chester may be a good fit. I would like to drive up for a day trip but I am not sure where to start. Are there any other areas that suit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:44 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Welcome!

If you would copy and paste the questions in this link and include your answers, that will help us focus on the most appropriate suggestions.

Media and West Chester are indeed great suburban towns, each with a vibrant core and reasonable proximity to the city proper and suburban job centers such as King of Prussia. If a walkable downtown is important to you, those two towns are about as good as it gets IMO in the (south)western suburbs. There are other suburban towns to suggest all over the area but I'm hesitant to go into detail without more information. Your commute destination, among other factors, may help determine whether those towns are otherwise a good fit.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am considering Philadelphia as a possible place to live because there seems to be a decent number of jobs on Indeed.com and housing in the burbs is reasonable. I am a 40 year old single woman and I am seeking a place with a small town feel. I would like to live close to the park and library. I also would like to be close to a supermarket like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. A market with good produce would suffice. It appears Media or West Chester may be a good fit. I would like to drive up for a day trip but I am not sure where to start. Are there any other areas that suit me?
When are you moving? Late August
Where are you coming from? NY
Why are you moving? Fresh start.
Where will you be working? Not sure. Account Management/Customer Service
Have you been here yet? Not yet.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I prefer a low rise apt. I do not want to spend more than $900 (studio) per month. I need parking.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single 40 year old woman with no children.
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard?No
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? I would like a commute that is under 30 minutes.
Work: under 30 min
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) 5 min
Nightlife
Train or subway stations 10 min

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I want to live in a nice quiet suburb that is close to amenities.

Coke or Pepsi? I do not drink soda.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
When are you moving? Late August
Where are you coming from? NY
Why are you moving? Fresh start.
Where will you be working? Not sure. Account Management/Customer Service
Have you been here yet? Not yet.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I prefer a low rise apt. I do not want to spend more than $900 (studio) per month. I need parking.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single 40 year old woman with no children.
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard?No
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? I would like a commute that is under 30 minutes.
Work: under 30 min
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) 5 min
Nightlife
Train or subway stations 10 min

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I want to live in a nice quiet suburb that is close to amenities.

Coke or Pepsi? I do not drink soda.
Well, $900 is probably good for a nicer 1BR and an "okay" 2BR in Media and West Chester. You may also be interested in the string of northwestern suburban towns along Route 30/Lancaster Avenue known as the Main Line. Of the various communities, Ardmore is the most likely to be within your preferred budget. Living on the Main Line would also put you closer to job centers such as King of Prussia, Conshohocken and Plymouth Meeting. You'd also have easier access to commuter rail via the Paoli-Thorndale Line that runs through the Main Line to Center City.

I'm hesitant to make more suggestions in the northern and northeast suburbs - and potentially South Jersey - because, again, you don't yet know where you're working. There are numerous towns that would fit your preferences - towns that you find here that have a Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's are all quality places to live - but to list them all would be overwhelming.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 PM

I will check that out. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
I would wait to see where you get a job. What if you locate to a town and then the closest job is a rough commute?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
I have corresponded with you on the Syracuse forums as well. I agree that you should probably wait to get a job somewhere first and then make the move.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM

I wish I had the type of profession that recruited out of state candidates but I do not. I need a local address. I loved Liverpool but I am worried about job prospects. Philly may work but I need to visit first. I will not sign a lease until I find a job and pass probation. Philly seems to offer apartments/rooms on a month to month basis.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,052 times
Bucks County is a great area and only 30 minutes from Center City. It is very safe, close to everything and has lots of farm land and produce stands.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 PM

I will check it out. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia