Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

Your American blood should be boiling over this If not, then this country is doomed.

Philadelphia Earns Millions By Seizing Cash And Homes From People Never Charged With A Crime http://www.forbes.com/sites/institut...ction-lawsuit/
Quote:
Chris Sourovelis has never had any trouble with the law or been accused of any crime. But that hasn’t stopped the City of Philadelphia from trying to take his home.

The Sourouvelis family, along with thousands of others in Philadelphia, is living a Kafkaesque nightmare: Their property is considered guilty; they must prove their innocence and the very prosecutors they’re fighting can profit from their misery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MT_YLO5yg

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-27-2014 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Removed text due to copyright issues - 3 sentences only and a link please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Sounds bad. Though if it's making you so angry I can probably talk myself into getting on board.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Another horrible component from the longest and costliest war in American history-the war on 'drugs'.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
It sounds blatantly unconstitutional, if what the article presents is true. I hope the city loses this case.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Some more info. This can happen to anybody, innocent or not

Homeowners sue Philly D.A. over seizure of property
Quote:
"I didn't do anything wrong. I didn't bother anybody," Sourovelis, 52, said in an interview Tuesday. "But we struggle from week to week not knowing what will happen."

Lawsuit: Philly 'ground zero' for forfeiture abuse
Quote:
IMAGINE THAT government employees show up at your doorstep unannounced and force you out of your home - immediately. Utility workers suddenly pull up and shut off your gas and electric.

You haven't been charged with a crime, but you grab your belongings and go. You have no choice.
DN Editorial: Not-very-civil forfeiture
Quote:
THERE ARE lots of ways to be Ferguson, Missouri. It doesn't necessarily require tear gas, smoke bombs lobbed at protesters or a heavily militarized police department. It doesn't even have to involve the shooting of a young unarmed black man, for no apparent reason - yes, another one.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: THREE sentences quoted only please. You are violating copyright laws.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Philly DA sued over $5.8 million civil forfeiture
A class-action federal civil rights lawsuit, filed yesterday by the Institute for Justice, a Libertarian-oriented civil liberties union, and the Philadelphia civil liberties law firm of Kairys, Rudovsky, Messing and Feinberg, accuses the City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Police Department and the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office of violating the civil rights of thousands of Philadelphians who have had their houses and other property confiscated by the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office, in many cases without any criminal charge being filed against them.

The complaint, filed yesterday in the United States Eastern District of Pennsylvania, accuses the D.A. of using “civil forfeiture” — a set of laws that allow law- enforcement officials to seize and keep property with a link, often vaguely defined, to illegal activity — to pad its budget at the expense of property owners by depriving them, the complaint alleges, of their constitutional rights to due process.
Civil Forfeiture in Philadelphia | Ronald D. Rotunda | Verdict | Legal Analysis and Commentary from Justia
The City of Brotherly Love is not so brotherly when it comes to civil forfeiture. Consider this case, which began in September of 1993. The police stopped Ossie Younge for a traffic infraction, speeding. Nothing unusual about that, but what was unusual (although not in Philadelphia) is that the police then seized $22,080 from his vehicle. The prosecutor never filed a petition to forfeit the money. At that proceeding, the prosecutor would have had to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the money was contraband. Instead, the police just seized it, which forced Mr. Younge to file suit seeking its return. The trial court rejected Mr. Younge’s petition. Its opinion repeatedly referred to Mr. Younge as the “defendant,” although he was the plaintiff in a civil case. Mr. Younge offered his testimony, his fiancée’s testimony, and various documents to show that he had lawful possession of the money.

He appealed. Pennsylvania, the appellate court observed, “offered no relevant evidence to the issue of who might have a superior claim to the seized cash, if not appellant.” It concluded that the lower court’s seizure of Mr. Younge’s money is “state-sanctioned theft.” Mr. Younge eventually won, but the gears of justice move slowly. It was not until November of 1995 (more than two years after the police seized the money) that the court ordered it returned.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Wake up, people

I don't know what upsets me more- the fact that government and swoop in and take your money and property without warrant, or the fact that so few of you seem to care

Law Lets I.R.S. Seize Accounts on Suspicion, No Crime Required
Carole Hinders, owner of a small Mexican restaurant, got a knock on the door from a pair of IRS agents, who told her that they had seized $33,000 from her checking account.

The article gives several other similar examples from around the country. One victim, after trying to prove his innocence, discovered that the government was not even interested in guilt or innocence. "They just want the money," he concluded.

Cash deposits of $10,000 or more trigger a 'suspicious activity report' that banks must pass on to the feds. But now according to the IRS, deposits under $1000 are also suspicious, because they might indicate an effort to avoid triggering a report.

The median amount seized is $34,000, and getting the money back can entail legal costs of $20,000 or more, so many just give up and let the government keep the money, according to the article.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM

296 posts, read 413,790 times
Thanks for caring renault. This thread is in the Philadelphia forum where no one cares. It's as if the leaders of Philadelphia saw how apathetic the people are there and decided it was easy pickings.

My blood is boiling over this because it should be considered felony criminal behavior.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
“If this can happen to me and my family, it can happen to anybody,” Sourovelis said.

Rubbish...

Old 11-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Continuing my one-person crusade against this unAmerican, unconstitutional act by greedy law enforcement-

Police use department wish lists when deciding which assets to seize
The seminars offered police officers some useful tips on seizing property from suspected criminals. Don’t bother with jewelry (too hard to dispose of) and computers (“everybody’s got one already”), the experts counseled. Do go after flat screen TVs, cash and cars. Especially nice cars.

In one seminar, captured on video in September, Harry S. Connelly Jr., the city attorney of Las Cruces, N.M., called them “little goodies.” And then Mr. Connelly described how officers in his jurisdiction could not wait to seize one man’s “exotic vehicle” outside a local bar.

“A guy drives up in a 2008 Mercedes, brand new,” he explained. “Just so beautiful, I mean, the cops were undercover and they were just like ‘Ahhhh.’ And he gets out and he’s just reeking of alcohol. And it’s like, ‘Oh, my goodness, we can hardly wait.’ ”

So much for "to protect and serve".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia