Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 07:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times

Advertisements

I had been wondering for a while if/when the eternal discussion about the Regional Rail expansion - sometimes called the Schuykill Valley Line - might resume. It looks like it has, per the article below. Of course, the main stumbling block is still money.

Money still a roadblock to King of Prussia rail line

The article references the DC suburbs Tysons Corner, VA an area with which I'm familiar and is essentially KOP on steroids, if you can imagine that. After their own endless discussion, the first phase of their Metrorail expansion is complete, with four stops in the Tysons area (with the second phase being planned for Dulles Airport and a bit beyond FWIW). Hopefully the Powers That Be in PA will come up with a solution sooner or later as it appears traffic will only be getting worse in the KOP area.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-30-2014 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,096,114 times
This project is OK but if I was given $500M to spend on transit in the KOP area I'd use it to electrify the Norfolk Southern line out to Pottstown. KOP is not walkable and I understand that the goal is to make it somewhat walkable. However, Phoenixville, Royersford, and Pottstown are very much walkable, and are surrounded by miles and miles of sprawl with no close-by rail access. A 20-mile train extension to Pottstown would be transformative for the entire 422 corridor. A 3-mile extension of the NHSL will be transformative for KOP.

Of course, SEPTA will sandbag any project they don't want with their normal tactics of over-estimating costs, under-estimating ridership, and spending limited resources on unneeded, unnecessary parking garages and station improvements that won't add new riders. But I digress.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
This project is OK but if I was given $500M to spend on transit in the KOP area I'd use it to electrify the Norfolk Southern line out to Pottstown. KOP is not walkable and I understand that the goal is to make it somewhat walkable. However, Phoenixville, Royersford, and Pottstown are very much walkable, and are surrounded by miles and miles of sprawl with no close-by rail access. A 20-mile train extension to Pottstown would be transformative for the entire 422 corridor. A 3-mile extension of the NHSL will be transformative for KOP.

Of course, SEPTA will sandbag any project they don't want with their normal tactics of over-estimating costs, under-estimating ridership, and spending limited resources on unneeded, unnecessary parking garages and station improvements that won't add new riders. But I digress.
My issue on this is it would be a two seat ride

Extending the Norristown RR line might more sense and better headways and potentially extended up 422 or the exiting ROW

the NHSL connect already

Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My issue on this is it would be a two seat ride

Extending the Norristown RR line might more sense and better headways and potentially extended up 422 or the exiting ROW

the NHSL connect already
I'm not sure I understand what any of your comments mean.

Electrifying the old Reading line out to Pottstown means a one-seat ride out to points past Norristown all the way to Pottstown from CC. The NHSL extension would only go 3-4 more miles and remember that you need to transfer from the El at 69th Street.

Building new infrastructure along 422 seems exorbitantly expensive. Plus, nothing along 422 is walkable. The Norfolk Southern line goes right through walkable communities. We need to use the underutilized 2-tracked NS ROW that is already there. The only problem with this is that it doesn't go to the mall. However, my original argument is that transforming the 422 corridor at $25m per mile seems a much better return on investment than transforming KOP at $125m-$150m per mile.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what any of your comments mean.

Electrifying the old Reading line out to Pottstown means a one-seat ride out to points past Norristown all the way to Pottstown from CC. The NHSL extension would only go 3-4 more miles and remember that you need to transfer from the El at 69th Street.

Building new infrastructure along 422 seems exorbitantly expensive. Plus, nothing along 422 is walkable. The Norfolk Southern line goes right through walkable communities. We need to use the underutilized 2-tracked NS ROW that is already there. The only problem with this is that it doesn't go to the mall. However, my original argument is that transforming the 422 corridor at $25m per mile seems a much better return on investment than transforming KOP at $125m-$150m per mile.
I mean the NHSL requires a two seat ride at best assuming you are on the MFL

Extending the Norristown RR line to me would make more sense regardless of whether it goes up 422 or ends at the KOP mall or chesterbrook or pottstown

the NHSL was a waste of dollars IMHO

transform the Norristown and KOP extended line - better idea IMHO - also would have other RR connections at North Philly

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I mean the NHSL requires a two seat ride at best assuming you are on the MFL

Extending the Norristown RR line to me would make more sense regardless of whether it goes up 422 or ends at the KOP mall or chesterbrook or pottstown

the NHSL was a waste of dollars IMHO

transform the Norristown and KOP extended line - better idea IMHO - also would have other RR connections at North Philly
Yes, I agree with you. It's a waste of $. Although SEPTA is not known for championing smart, cost-effective projects so what more can I say.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,811 times
the High Speed line extension would run way more frequently than a Regional rail line extension. Plus even with the connection it would be easier for west philly residents to get to the mall and business park for work.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
the High Speed line extension would run way more frequently than a Regional rail line extension. Plus even with the connection it would be easier for west philly residents to get to the mall and business park for work.
Both true comments. However, it would do absolutely nothing for Phoenixville, Royersford, or Pottstown, which each have stations along the old Reading line, or for rest of the 422 corridor (Oaks, Collegeville, Limerick, etc.). All of these areas once had, and were in fact built around, rail service. Today they are services by a US route with 2 lanes each way that is a driver of sprawl. Restored train service would drive redevelopment of older towns, would reduce traffic congestion, and would encourage walkability and the preservation of open space, all of which are stated goals of Montgomery and Chester Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia