Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 PM

13 posts, read 16,435 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I currently live in Chicago, and I am investing heavily into research for my employment post graduation.

I am a nonprofit/public administration major, currently holding a development internship. Counting that, I have nearly 2 years experience under my belt. I am still trying to figure out if there is a good out look in Philadelphia for these jobs, I have seen a few but not an overwhelming amount

I used to live in MA, and even though there are many jobs in Boston, I would be priced out of the city. Same goes with NYC, and in some cases DC.

Anyway, I have been to Philadelphia a couple times, and I really like it. From what I have seen , its comparable to Chicago in term of cost of living.

No, I do not have an offer yet, but I have an idea of the following.

Salary: anywhere from 33-40k.
Job Location: From what I have seen, many are in Center City, and the surrounding area.
Student Debt: none. I have no other debt to my name.
I will have some one else living with me, working 20-30 hours a week. And a dog is coming with that person (miniature dachshund).

I am not picky at all, I would not mind living in a studio or small space, but I do have the following needs:
- Safe area
- Park or green space near by (for the dog)
- Under 1000 a month rent would be nice, its feasible here in Chicago not sure how much in PHL. Must allow the dog, and it would be nice to have most utilities included (if it works like that there)
- Close to public transit, I do not mind if a station is half a mile or so away (I have a bike/scooter). I do not and will not have a car
- I don't care if its a hip neighborhood, frankly I hate that (I despise Logan Square/Bucktown/Wicker Park in Chicago). a decent grocery store near by is a good thing though.

I will edit this if I have more to add, but this is all for now

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-05-2014 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 16,435 times
bump :P wondering if anyone has some opinion :P

Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM

204 posts, read 389,365 times
I think it may be difficult to recommend a specific location without knowing where you are going to be working. Job location makes a big difference in any city, and you wouldn't want to move to one location and then get hired somewhere miles away if you are not going to have a car. You're right that a lot of the jobs are in Center City, but it is not the only job center in the region and I don't know what kind of positions are typically available for a public administration major.

That being said, if you are looking for a truly car-free lifestyle, Center City or a nearby neighborhood is probably your best option. The trade-off is higher rent and less green space. Is your $1000 price range per person or for you and your roommate? Finding a $1000 place that isn't a pit and can fit two people and a dog in Center City or nearby locations like University City and Graduate Hospital will be very difficult. Further out will give you more options but also reduce your walkability and potentially be less safe (depending on the neighborhood).

It sounds like you are still early in your job/home hunt but if you can provide any more details about what criteria you need, that would help a lot. Also, here are some links that may be useful:

- Rail, trolley and subway network SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map
- A "safety map" that someone put together for the city which, despite just being one person's opinion, may give you a general idea of whether an area is okay http://goo.gl/maps/wDTdr
- A mapping of general rental trends, though this is only as good as the data Trulia has Philadelphia, PA average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
- An amalgamator of rental listings from various sites, although craigslist probably still has the most listings Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: