Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 08:21 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times

Advertisements

Dear Everyone,

Couple in our late 30's. Been renting a townhouse in the Washington Square West area for the past 1.5 years. We currently spend $2250 for rent. This gets us a 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 1 garage place.
We are sick of a 4 story townhouse and looking for a something no more than a bi-level. We think 800-1000 sqft would be ideal. 1bedroom is fine as well. Torn on if we need a garage spot. We really want to reduce our rent cost down to the 1500-1800 range if possible. Which probably means giving up our garage spot to keep it in that price range. I would need to register car and get PA licenses if I tried to go the free street parking route which I am not sure I want to attempt. We would prefer to be near PATCO since that is our commute into work. Which pretty much limits us to WSW, Rittenhouse, Society Hill and maybe outskirts of olde city & fitler square. We have never been in a high rise but would consider that. They seem to be expensive.

When are you moving? Already live here.
Where are you coming from? N/A
Why are you moving? N/A
Where will you be working? Camden, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Renting
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? $1200-$2200.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? I am married. No kids.
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? 1 18lb dog
Do you want or need a yard? Outdoor space is ideal
Are you keeping a car? Maybe
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet but near restaurants, etc...

What do you want to be closest to?
Work 3
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) 2
Shopping 5
Nightlife 4
Train or subway stations 1

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Don't care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
You are working in NJ anyway, why not look in a place like Collingswood or another town on the Speedline route? You could get more of what you want and not have to pay the city wage tax.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 AM

We own a property in Haddonfield. We have always lived in the subarbs so we wanted to try living in the city. We have liked it over the past year and moving back to the subarbs isn't really that appealing to us right now. Are we paying through the nose to live in the city? Yep. Probably losing $400+/m in income taxes alone. Hence why we want to reduce our rent a tad to have more money to spend going out.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM

39 posts, read 51,507 times
I know there is a new high rise on N. Broad and Spring Garden that one of my friends lives in, forgot the name but a quick google search should probably lead you to it. She also works in NJ (Cherry Hill) and mentions how easy it is to get onto 676 and go into jersey from the underground private parking the building offers. She pays $1800 for a 1 bed/1 bath

Oh and she has a dog as well so they must allow pets as well

edit- its called Tower Place. seems very close to center city (if not IN center city?), is right on the BSL, and indeed 3 blocks from the 676 junction off vine st expressway. might be worth considering no?

Last edited by nalghanim; 01-03-2015 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: name of building

Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,816 times
You owe yourself to see the brand new Collings at The Lumberyard (Collingswood). You would be 6 minutes from Camden on the PATCO and be the original renters of a nice, new place. They did a great job on them. Why live in Philly and pay city wage tax?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
The Packard building and lofts 600 and 640 all have easy to access to 676.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
You owe yourself to see the brand new Collings at The Lumberyard (Collingswood). You would be 6 minutes from Camden on the PATCO and be the original renters of a nice, new place. They did a great job on them. Why live in Philly and pay city wage tax?
Not impressed by the Lumberyards. Overpriced.

I live in Philly because I currently don't want to live in the subarbs. I prefer walking out my door and being in the city and have the ability to walk to the Italian Market, Rittenhouse, WSW, Waterfront, etc.. Living in Collingswood I would not do that. I would basically drive most places as I did when I lived in Haddon Twp & Haddonfield.

I may end up in SJ eventually but right now I am willing to pay the CWT as much as it hurts.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
maybe also look the northern end of Bella Vista - not to far to PATCO and little cheaper and more space - plus easy walk to everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: