Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 21,187 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm considering moving to Philly in a near future (among a couple of other cities, namely Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte) and I was hoping I could get some suggestions here regarding Philadelphia.

When are you moving?

Possibly in June.

Where are you coming from?

A mid-size town in Midwest.

Why are you moving?

A new job.

Where will you be working?

Right around the middle of Center City

Have you been here yet?

I've been there a couple of times recently, although only for a 2-3 days each time.

Will you buy or rent?

Likely rent, at least for a few years.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?

Probably an apartment of a loft. $1000-$2000/mo for a studio or 1BR, although the upper limit might be a little pushing it.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

A high rise would be nice, but I don't have a huge preference either way.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?

I'm not sure. I guess I'd be open to it if the commute won't kill me every day and it's considerably cheaper?No preference between NJ and PA as long as it's safe.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?

Single, no children.

Do you prefer public or private schools?

N/A

Do you have pets?

No

Do you want or need a yard?

Not at all

Are you keeping a car?

I would like to, but I'm open to trying getting by without it if I really won't need it where I live.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

Again, I'm not sure. I'm used to comfortably living in a relative "calm and quiet" for a long time now, but I think "bustling activity" also sounds appealing and something I could try out.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
- That would be nice, especially if I ditch my car.
Shopping - Plus, but not hugely important.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Pretty important to be close to these.
Nightlife - Plus, but not hugely important.
Train or subway stations -
Important if I ditch my car.

Other than the above, it would be nice to be close to different restaurants and food scene. I've read something about share cars being popular in the city? If I'm to go without a car, it'd be important to be close to one of those places.

It would be ideal if the apartment building has a gym inside, but I'd be fine with a place where there is a decent gym close by as well.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Somewhat similar age range (20-40) would be nice. I'm in my late 20's. Otherwise no preference as long as it's safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: