Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

There's a nice article in todays Philadelphia Inquirer: Mike on a bike

Another article with more facts: Biking with Byko

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
There's a nice article in todays Philadelphia Inquirer: Mike on a bike

Another article with more facts: Biking with Byko
I overheard some older people talking about it on the subway yesterday so, maybe, they'll try it out.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
At $10 for an annual membership, that's a steal. Economies of scale.
With that $10, you still have to essentially pay $4/trip, because it's a $4 minimum, even with annual membership. So if you're taking a bike out to, say, buy some concert tickets across town, it's costing a total of $8 to take the bike there and take one back. You and your partner rent bikes together to go picnic in Rittenhouse Square, say? That's $16.

I like many things about this, but I would not call it a "steal".

Agree that using the same Septa payment system would be great, although that could take years to implement at the rate Septa makes changes.

It would also be nice to have some protected bike lanes - like this: https://bikeeastbay.org/news/califor...ion-commission - especially in corridors that tourists are more likely to use. Just to make people feel a little more secure who aren't used to city biking.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
With that $10, you still have to essentially pay $4/trip, because it's a $4 minimum, even with annual membership. So if you're taking a bike out to, say, buy some concert tickets across town, it's costing a total of $8 to take the bike there and take one back. You and your partner rent bikes together to go picnic in Rittenhouse Square, say? That's $16.

I like many things about this, but I would not call it a "steal".

Agree that using the same Septa payment system would be great, although that could take years to implement at the rate Septa makes changes.

It would also be nice to have some protected bike lanes - like this: https://bikeeastbay.org/news/califor...ion-commission - especially in corridors that tourists are more likely to use. Just to make people feel a little more secure who aren't used to city biking.
If that is the case, just sign up for the $15/month membership.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default iOS App

The app I have been using is B-cycle Now. I saw it mentioned in a tweet from the official Indego twitter account. It's much easier to us than the mobile website.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
Is this ride named after the same Indigo (Indego?) as the proposed Indigo Hotel at 1218 Chestnut?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Is this ride named after the same Indigo (Indego?) as the proposed Indigo Hotel at 1218 Chestnut?
No.. probably has more to do with the sponsorship.. Independence Blue Cross

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM

90 posts, read 130,471 times
I used something similar in Paris. Paris is a very bikeable city with dedicated bike/taxi lanes. Not sure how this will work outside of the downtown Philadelphia. I will say, the price structure is not attractive at all to me. Membership fee + $4 for half a hour? They should have had lower introductory pricing in my opinion

Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
I used something similar in Paris. Paris is a very bikeable city with dedicated bike/taxi lanes. Not sure how this will work outside of the downtown Philadelphia. I will say, the price structure is not attractive at all to me. Membership fee + $4 for half a hour? They should have had lower introductory pricing in my opinion
$4 for 1/2 hour is for non membership. $10 annual membership is $4 per hour.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
No.. probably has more to do with the sponsorship.. Independence Blue Cross
But Indego... Is that one of their brand names?

Never heard of it, if so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia