Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
What?! Dead?! Okay, the WING surrounding Macy's may be dead, but the Trader Joe's and farmer's market (which unfortunately share the exact same parking lot) are always ridiculously crowded and busy. But I do realize pretty much all Trader Joe's are like that. The chain really ought to think about making their stores bigger and thus more relaxing to shop at.
Hardly anyone walks on Lancaster Ave. in Ardmore. There is literally no foot traffic during the day. I know because I have almost weekly business in the area. I sit in the Melodies Cafe and watch cars stream by. People? Not so much.

Is it different at night? Maybe. But I've been there some evenings. Same thing. Not very many people.

That Trader Joes is the only one for miles around. Of course it's busy. But the rest of Suburban Sq? It's like crickets...

By contrast CC was loaded with people over last weekend. The Walnut St street thing: jammed. Science Fair around Logan Circle/Franklin Inst: jammed. Broad St Run: thousands of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM

90 posts, read 130,471 times
Suburban Square is not as desolate as you guys are making it. Go there this Saturday around 2 pm and tell me what the parking situation is like in the lot across from BR/JCrew or Trader Joes/Gap. I have had to go home multiple times because I could not find parking close enough for my liking. There is also a pretty popular Apple Store there (right across from the Macys)

Why would they put a Landmark there though? There is already one in Wayne and another across from St Joes.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Suburban Square is not as desolate as you guys are making it. Go there this Saturday around 2 pm and tell me what the parking situation is like in the lot across from BR/JCrew or Trader Joes/Gap. I have had to go home multiple times because I could not find parking close enough for my liking. There is also a pretty popular Apple Store there (right across from the Macys)

Why would they put a Landmark there though? There is already one in Wayne and another across from St Joes.
I was there a couple months back on a weekend afternoon, and there was good foot traffic. Is it "desolate" compared to Center City? Sure, but that's misconflating the two. I'd hope the heart of the urban core would have more going on than an inner ring suburb.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post

2PM on a Saturday. Okay.

The other days it's Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Suburban Sq has a KOP problem.

Weekend traffic probably isn't what Macy's was looking for to keep the SS store open.

You probably have no idea that Ardmore had 2 movie theaters at one time. One on Lancaster Ave and one in SS right near where the Apple Store and Well Fargo Bank are today.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I was there a couple months back on a weekend afternoon, and there was good foot traffic. Is it "desolate" compared to Center City? Sure, but that's misconflating the two. I'd hope the heart of the urban core would have more going on than an inner ring suburb.
The point is it has virtually NO foot traffic the rest of the time. You know Mon-Fri...

Old 05-06-2015, 04:31 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The point is it has virtually NO foot traffic the rest of the time. You know Mon-Fri...
You made a blanket statement without regard to the days of the week, so I had no way of knowing that "point." That said, unless things have changed drastically since circa. 2010, I disagree. There are more destination shoppers/fewer wanderers, but still plenty of cars in the parking lots in the afternoons and evenings.

I'm living outside the area right now, but I'll check it out for myself one of these days. My brother also still gets there pretty often/can offer a fair opinion.

I wonder how that Dranoff project is coming along.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-06-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,430 times
The 1930s Strawbridge's store in Jenkintown (almost if not completely identical to the one in Ardmore) closed way back in 1983. It was later put to PITIFUL use. Drug Emporium on the first floor, offices on the upper floors. Once Drug Emporium closed, Outback opened there.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM

126 posts, read 203,866 times
I can't believe anyone could describe Ardmore as desolate. I'm there pretty often and what kyb01 is saying is completely untrue. Theres still a good amount of people out and about during the week, and on the weekends it's always very busy. Forget finding parking anywhere around lancaster ave.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls128 View Post
I can't believe anyone could describe Ardmore as desolate. I'm there pretty often and what kyb01 is saying is completely untrue. Theres still a good amount of people out and about during the week, and on the weekends it's always very busy. Forget finding parking anywhere around lancaster ave.
Yes that's kind of how I view it as well. Not as busy as Wayne or Doylestown or West Chester, but plenty of activity, and difficult-to-find parking.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls128 View Post
I was there yesterday afternoon. I saw exactly 6 people walking on Lancaster Ave between Ardmore Toyota and Bryn Mawr Trust. No one was sitting outside at Fuel while, yes, there were some people sitting there a few days before at about 1pm.

Sure, the weekends. Not surprising that there are many more people. So, I guess, businesses rely on what they make on weekends to stay functioning.

I'm just spoiled by CC energy that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia