Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times

Advertisements

Moderator Cut

More precaution is better than not enough when moving someplace new. American cities are not the safest, but they're getting safer all the time. Philly is no exception. Use common sense and street smarts and you'll be fine.

The city has a lot of great things to offer. It's one of the few American cities where you can live an authentically urban lifestyle with good public transportation. Great food, great architecture, excellent arts scene, etc. Have fun!

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-05-2015 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Removed previously deleted quote and orphaned reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
More precaution is better than not enough when moving someplace new. American cities are not the safest, but they're getting safer all the time. Philly is no exception. Use common sense and street smarts and you'll be fine.
On student housing in orlando somebody getting shot per year was the unspoken / unknown norm of 'utopia'. In my small town where I grew up supposedly people broke in to my house to beat the **** out of me when I would have arrived home (I didn't happen to go straight home that day). This is what normal suburban / rural living is america.

If you survived high school in america then urban living in philly will be a breeze. Can't say I've heard of a single person moving out of philly because they were concerned about safety lol.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
^You're from Florida?

Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
western pennsylvania

Old 06-04-2015, 12:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
On student housing in orlando somebody getting shot per year was the unspoken / unknown norm of 'utopia'. In my small town where I grew up supposedly people broke in to my house to beat the **** out of me when I would have arrived home (I didn't happen to go straight home that day). This is what normal suburban / rural living is america.

If you survived high school in america then urban living in philly will be a breeze. Can't say I've heard of a single person moving out of philly because they were concerned about safety lol.
Not disagreeing with your experience, but my comment was a reference to the high crime rate of US cities, since the OP is coming from Australia. That's all.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 PM

296 posts, read 571,568 times
Wow! Moving to Philadelphia from Australia? No way! You might want to do more research before you make this move! I worked there for twenty years and it honestly took me five years to get used to how people from the Philly area talk to one another and outsiders. Then as other posters have mentioned, the crime is unbelievable! Not a friendly safe place allthingsnice ...

Old 06-04-2015, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 5,013 times
Thank you again for all your helpful suggestions, Clark Park, Avalon08, Tone509, kyb01, AJNEOA, MikeNigh. In particular, for the useful information about: safety walking around in Chinatown up to 1am; the cost effective bus to NYC; staying on Broad Street around Temple University; David's; and keeping in mind 11th street between Filbert/Arch. Will be living on 9th Street, so might walk down Filbert or 10th to get to the apartment.

I really appreciate the descriptive information. I also really appreciate the advice about feeling more comfortable and confident after spending a couple of months getting to know the city, and the suggestion to not make eye contact with people and to walk with someone else late at night.

I was also quite moved by some of your considerate comments about the need to be cautious. And yes, the reason for my 'strange' original post was from reading articles that that detailed women being held up at gun point for their purses, with some women being killed as a result (After deadly purse-snatchings, some women leave handbags at home - The Washington Post) So, as you might imagine, these articles don't paint the safest picture about Philly.

I was also curious about the safety of Cecil B Moore, and Temple University Station after dark.

However, from your collective views - whilst important to be street smart and take some precautions - Philly sounds like a great place to live. And from what I can gather, there are some decent, welcoming people who currently reside there =)

So, I am now really looking forward to the move. Thank you again good people =)

** I accept your apology AJNEOA, I know you were having a bit of fun with the panic room. Although, it might surprise some people - it's not uncommon in Australia to find individuals who are happy to spend a few days camping in a tent in the bush with no hot water or showers, as well as 'luxuriate' in nice resorts. No doubt there are many people in the USA who also enjoy a range of experiences, and have wide, and varied interests. =)

Last edited by allthingsnice88; 06-04-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 02:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,013 times
** That is awful about the young guy from Minnesota. I'm sorry to hear the tragic story and that the killer has not been found and brought to justice. I actually live just around the corner from where Jill Meagher, the young Irish woman, was assaulted and murdered in Brunswick Victoria. The killing gained widespread media coverage, largely because, I believe - this is not meant to be offensive - she was married, Caucasian, middle class, worked for a prominent news/radio station and people could relate to her. She was assaulted about 1 block from her home, and was missing for 6 days. After her body was found, the Brunswick community really banded together to look out for each other, in an effort to increase safety on the streets, particularly at night. An awful situation, however, there is now a real sense of "if you see something, say something" mentality in the community.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Wow! Moving to Philadelphia from Australia? No way! You might want to do more research before you make this move! I worked there for twenty years and it honestly took me five years to get used to how people from the Philly area talk to one another and outsiders. Then as other posters have mentioned, the crime is unbelievable! Not a friendly safe place allthingsnice ...
A gross exaggeration.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
What's unbelievable is this nonsense post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia