Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,800 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am shifting to Philadelphia as a research fellow.

My wife, who dosent have any job offer will be joining me.

It would be great, if you please let me know address of apartments near perelman medical school, where it would be safe to live and near to commute... I am looking for studio/1 bhk around 1000 $ or less than it per months ... I am also ready to share, if I have some nice surrounding and separate facilities

Specially, If I get surrounding of Indian spouses, it would be great for my wife ... especially because she dosent have any job

Please please let me know.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Stay in University City near Penn and HUP.

The neighborhood is lovely, (relatively) safe, and convenient. It's not cheap, but not as expensive as Center City. There are not only several Indian restaurants (Sitar, Desi Village, New Delhi, etc.) but even a few Indian grocery stores as well. You should be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment for $1,000. Now is the time to start looking ... a lot of apartments are available, but by August the incoming college students start grabbing everything up.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,800 times
Thank you Clark ... I will check university city apartments

Old 06-21-2015, 06:55 PM

13 posts, read 17,463 times
Hello Mahesh,

I live in University City on Market St. The neighborhood is decent and has a lot of public transportation options. Like Clark Park said, there's a lot of Indian restaurants and two fully stocked Indian stores in the neighborhood. UPenn also has a shuttle that runs through University City to bring their students and employees to school and back

Only downside that I can think of is the large number of student population and some apartment buildings can get really loud at night during the time when the universities are in session

PM me or ask here if you have any more questions

Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Coming from india not having some noise from the street would probably be undesirable. India is a very loud / noisy super urban lifestyle.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Coming from india not having some noise from the street would probably be undesirable. India is a very loud / noisy super urban lifestyle.
I don't agree with you.

I have traveled to India 4 times in the past 18 years. One trip - my third - was a three month adventure throughout the country from the Himalaya in the north to the southernmost tip.

Have you been to one of hundreds of thousands of small towns and villages in India?

That's like saying all Americans live in skyscraper apartments.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't agree with you.

I have traveled to India 4 times in the past 18 years. One trip - my third - was a three month adventure throughout the country from the Himalaya in the north to the southernmost tip.

Have you been to one of hundreds of thousands of small towns and villages in India?

That's like saying all Americans live in skyscraper apartments.
I would be completely blown away if they truly lived the micro village indian lifestyle up until moving here. Even then I would expect they still dealt with a daily or weekly guy with a food cart yelling out in the morning trying to sell.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
When did the OP even ask about not having noise on the street? This comment was uncalled for and just trying to incite an argument

Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vparatala View Post
When did the OP even ask about not having noise on the street? This comment was uncalled for and just trying to incite an argument
Then why did you persuade them against university city because it was too loud? Your version of loud is not theirs but they don't know that. Ever tried to cross an indian intersection?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Then why did you persuade them against university city because it was too loud? Your version of loud is not theirs but they don't know that. Ever tried to cross an indian intersection?
I grew up in India so yeah, I've crossed several Indian intersections. It may be loud out on the streets but hardly ever affects you when you're inside your house or inside an apartment building, particularly late in the night.

On the contrary, apartment buildings in University City (where I currently live) could get unreasonably loud late in the night because of University kids partying late into the night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia