Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'd just like to say I've been on city-data for awhile now (a different acc) and have always appreciated the help you've given.

Our electric fee is given to us by our landlord in our rent bill. We do not know who supplies our electric. It is not PECO, as I have called PECO and asked. Our electric meter is in the basement that we cannot access.

Today I am posting because my boyfriend and I are being overcharged for electric. We live in a 1bd/1ba upstairs apartment. We started having issues when the breaker would get overloaded. We have since found out that the breaker is not split into two for the living room, like it is labeled as. It appears the one breaker in living room is not being used by anything at all.

We didn't think much of it until our one bill showed 0 kwh used and a 7.10 electric fee. There are no electric companies in the area that charge a monthly fee that high. The next month the bill showed 382 kwh, and this month it is 513 kwh. Oddly, we have used half the AC and power this month, yet the bill is almost doubled.

I talked to our neighbor downstairs and she said she uses the AC all the time and it is about the same for our bill ($80). We hardly use the AC despite the insane heat.

I have calculated the price of kwh that we've been paying, and it is never a consistent amount. It ranges from 0.15c-0.22c. With a variation that high and what appears to be incorrect readings, I believe they are estimating the amount of electric we are using instead of actually reading the meter.

But not only do they appear to be guessing the amount of electricity we use, but they are not charging rates anywhere close to what any electric providers in the area are charging.

I called maintenance yesterday only explaining I have issues with the meter, and they immediately said they had to give my number for their supervisor to call me back. I thought it was odd they couldn't just come out here and check it out. So I went ahead and emailed the billing lady stating I have questions that need to answer, she told me to call her, and it goes straight to voicemail. I feel like they are avoiding my calls, as this is something my last landlord did when I was aware about his illegal actions.

So what can we do? We haven't paid the rent/electric bill that is due today. We have 3 days or so until it gets marked as late. I can't find out who the electric provider is through the internet. We can't access our meter which is absolutely insane. Should I just leave a message to the billing lady? She has my phone number already. I'm just worried that if I explain the issue in depth, they'll avoid talking to me.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: removed the name of the landlord - libelous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 18,647 times
The change in kilowatt hours will vary during the air conditioning season and usually increases. During this time, temperatures will increase from one month to the next. As temperatures increased, air conditioning has to run longer to maintain your thermostat setting, aka comfort level.
Now if you are not convinced that is the case, then you are entitled to view your electric meter and know who supplies the electricity. I am assuming the electric bill is prepared by the landlord and if it is, it may be illegal.
The electric bill should be prepared by the electric company for each apartment in your complex.
Another thought is you are being billed based on the prior tenant's use and is an estimate.
My recommendations:
1. Insist you be allowed to inspect the meter and then inspect for any lines that lead away from your apartment location. This could indicate someone else is tapped into your meter. Only an electrician can determine this.
If the landlord refuse's, then see an attorney that deals in landlord issues.
2. If you do not want to go that route, then be prepared to move and do not tell the landlord about it if you are still convinced you are being over charged. The way I see it; if she or he is cheating you, then you cheat them by moving out without paying your bill.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times
Ah! I thought I had replied to this already. Sorry

First things first. I had someone come out and look at our electrical wiring inside the unit and they said it was not wired correctly and they would fix it. They sort of fixed it, but that doesn't explain our insane electric bills.

Our KWH price has been decreasing for the most part into the summer, not increasing. The KWH usage has almost doubled since the last bill which is pretty odd, as we haven't been using as much electric (less AC, less pc time, less usage of kitchen appliances, etc). I was told PECO does indeed supply our electric, but they pay someone else to calculate how much each unit uses in electricity, as it is submetered. This is definitely where this billing error comes into play.

The maintanence people also said I could have them look into the billing issue more deeply, after I receive this upcoming bill to see if it is still insane. I want it checked now, but they are being really difficult about getting someone out here right away, or even just talking to the actual landlord about this.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,366 times
PECO delivers the electric but serviced by someone else. In your case it sounds like a Co-op. My daughter lives in an Apt complex in Bensalem that is serviced by a company called Guardian Power and Amp, even though Peco delivers the electric. She has had some issues with not receiving paper bills in the mail and then eventually being charged late fees when she does. Others do question why their bills are much higher then others. I believe it is the complexes maintenance staff that reads the meters, and the building owner does get a cut of the pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: