Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 6,397 times

Advertisements

My landlord hasn't put heat in all 3 of the bedrooms in my house that I have been renting since April 2015 and have numerous text messages printouts that he was going to finally put heat upstairs in the house none of the bedrooms have heat coming out of the ducks and one room doesn't even have a vent in the bedroom. Now it is January of 2016 my children and me and my husband haven't had any heat in our rooms, I went out and bought space heaters that are not doing the job especially the back room it is literally around -10° I again asked him when he is getting the HVAC guts out he told me because I have space heaters that he is not going to proceed with getting the heat fixed. I called L&I to file a report and they told me he doesn't even have a license to rent out the property and not to pay rent. Now he has sent me only a text message telling me that I have 5 days to move out of the house. Nothing is from the courts. Everything else that has went wrong, like my water being shut off 3 days after moving in and I was stuck paying it TWICE, glass window broken, open vents that my child can fall in or play with the wires and get electrocuted god forbid. He hasn't done anything!
My question is, how long without a license can this process take for him to evict me? I refuse to pay rent for a property that has absolutely no heat upstairs and my two children are sleeping in my bedroom and we have 3 space heaters running to keep us warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
If you get evicted by the courts, you are going to have a very hard time getting a place to rent in the future.

The landlord can't evict you in 5 days. It sounds like you walked into a disaster. I wouldn't count on you getting back your deposit either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco0315 View Post
My landlord hasn't put heat in all 3 of the bedrooms in my house that I have been renting since April 2015 and have numerous text messages printouts that he was going to finally put heat upstairs in the house none of the bedrooms have heat coming out of the ducks and one room doesn't even have a vent in the bedroom. Now it is January of 2016 my children and me and my husband haven't had any heat in our rooms, I went out and bought space heaters that are not doing the job especially the back room it is literally around -10° I again asked him when he is getting the HVAC guts out he told me because I have space heaters that he is not going to proceed with getting the heat fixed. I called L&I to file a report and they told me he doesn't even have a license to rent out the property and not to pay rent. Now he has sent me only a text message telling me that I have 5 days to move out of the house. Nothing is from the courts. Everything else that has went wrong, like my water being shut off 3 days after moving in and I was stuck paying it TWICE, glass window broken, open vents that my child can fall in or play with the wires and get electrocuted god forbid. He hasn't done anything!
My question is, how long without a license can this process take for him to evict me? I refuse to pay rent for a property that has absolutely no heat upstairs and my two children are sleeping in my bedroom and we have 3 space heaters running to keep us warm.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 AM

L&I just called me and told me that he hasn't renewed his learners license in 3 years and because there is no heat and 3 bedrooms which is the entire upstairs and it's been almost a year that he has the time to get this done that I definitely walked into a disaster. I spoke with his previous tenants who actually lives two doors away and they said that he hasn't done anything and they had mold covered in the bathroom downstairs I just went myself to go check where she told me to and there is nothing but mold catered on underneath paint.
I pay over 1,400 every month I only missed one month and we agreed to pay yesterday in writing THANK GOD but as soon as I asked him when he is going to get heat upstairs he immediately text back and said you have 5 days to leave my house I have potential renters that want to come see it. That is also against the law, L&I just informed me that he has numerous complaints for this house from previous tenants since 2012 as well as another property where he lives. I already started looking into a new house. I just wanted to know how long it takes to get a court date and renew a runner's license if he is allowed to?.. I think I put up with enough. If I can post pictures of everything I definitely would. I'm going to look now. So basically my rent is only one day late since we made arrangements but of course he could tell the courts otherwise until the court hearing Bo, & I can prove everything because I have that all locked and saved.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Your LL can't file an eviction with the court without a rental license. Is this the number you called? (215-686-2463).
A case should be open up and inspection of the property by L&I. If they come out and the condition is as your described, they will slap him with a violation. He can't get a rental license until that is resolved. Until he gets a rental license, court isn't going to help him in evicting you.

You have a copy of your lease?

BTW.. I am assuming you are referring to Philadelphia City correct?

Last edited by sj08054; 01-12-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 02:10 PM

Yes! That is the number.. L&I will be here tomorrow and just from them calling me they said twice if he does try today to file with a temporary Renters license they will take it away and he will have 35 days to fix the problems in the house, and if not done another 35 days. I don't have to leave or pay anything until its all fixed. Then he can start the process as long as he has his permanent license not temporary, and that takes around 20-30 days.. I have everything Documents and 90% of it printed out but everything is saved in my phone.
The only thing I can't figure out is the number to call and see if he did try to file today.
Thank you

Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Yes, I have a copy of my lease. Sorry about that.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Whatever you do, don't brandish a weapon at the law officer. Constable kills girl, 12, in Pennsylvania altercation - CNN.com

Is this concept of a "rental license" specific to City of Philadelphia or does it apply statewide?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:33 AM

It applies nationwide. Every person that is running out even a bedroom has to have a renters license. If not they could actually take the tenants out of the house and that previous Landlord is entitled to pay for a new place as well as the months that were occupied at the previous residence.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM

I know a lot about this because my Father in law has numerous properties that he went out the only problem for me is he is not in Philadelphia right now so I can't get any information from him he is out of the country. Before he left he told me to call 3-1-1 and ask them if my landlord had a runner's license in the first place there was so much going on but when I did call 311 for L&I they told me he didn't have one any longer.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco0315 View Post
I know a lot about this because my Father in law has numerous properties that he went out the only problem for me is he is not in Philadelphia right now so I can't get any information from him he is out of the country. Before he left he told me to call 3-1-1 and ask them if my landlord had a runner's license in the first place there was so much going on but when I did call 311 for L&I they told me he didn't have one any longer.

Next time you rent in the city, you can check up the property on Phila.gov website.

As a LL in the city, I can't stand the slumlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: