Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,535,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
So I spent the weekend in Philly and overall I like the city a lot!

We stayed right next to Washington Square Park so obviously it was super clean which i loved. We walked all through Center City to the museum area and downtown was awesome, great vibe and lots to do. One of my favorite areas we went to was Spring Garden and Fairmount. The row houses were really nice and the area near the penitentiary was really neat. I could definitely see myself living there.

When we walked through South Philly I really saw what I was expecting when I thought of Philly. A lot of trash in the streets and graffiti on building. This was just south of Italian Market. It was a cool area but kind of dirty for me.

I also noticed how there are little to no trash cans are around! Every time I finished my coffee it took me a while before I could find a trash can to put it in.

I walked up to Old City and then to Northern Liberties and both were great. The streets were so quiet and I really liked that considering I live in Manhattan.

I wasn't a big fan of Fishtown though. A lot of vacant lots with trashed piled up in them and also the trash in the street was really noticeable. I could tell its a pretty up and coming area though.

My first though was that the city was going to be pretty dirty all over but I was wrong! There were some parts and a lot of blocks that were pretty gross but I guess you could avoid them if you lived there. I am seriously considering moving to Philly now, it's been Philly and DC.
Glad you had a great visit! What you are describing is exactly what everyone described in this thread - the cleanliness of the city definitely varies by neighborhood and sometimes even block by block within neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:12 PM

969 posts, read 1,146,746 times
Quote:

We stayed right next to Washington Square Park so obviously it was super clean which i loved. We walked all through Center City to the museum area and downtown was awesome, great vibe and lots to do. One of my favorite areas we went to was Spring Garden and Fairmount. The row houses were really nice and the area near the penitentiary was really neat. I could definitely see myself living there.

When we walked through South Philly I really saw what I was expecting when I thought of Philly. A lot of trash in the streets and graffiti on building. This was just south of Italian Market. It was a cool area but kind of dirty for me.

I also noticed how there are little to no trash cans are around! Every time I finished my coffee it took me a while before I could find a trash can to put it in.

I walked up to Old City and then to Northern Liberties and both were great. The streets were so quiet and I really liked that considering I live in Manhattan.

I wasn't a big fan of Fishtown though. A lot of vacant lots with trashed piled up in them and also the trash in the street was really noticeable. I could tell its a pretty up and coming area though.

My first though was that the city was going to be pretty dirty all over but I was wrong! There were some parts and a lot of blocks that were pretty gross but I guess you could avoid them if you lived there. I am seriously considering moving to Philly now, it's been Philly and DC.
Glad you like it. Fishtown has a few cool places, but there is lots of grime and grit there as well. I actually never spent any time in Old City. Would definitely like to though.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,780,853 times
Quote:

Phew.... I was actually a little worried you would take some of what we said about some of the ongoing litter problem(well, we live here...) and not show up at all.

Mmmm, the area around the Italian Market (Bella Vista) can be spotty near Washington Ave. But Christian and Catherine Sts are usually okay. And you should check out E. Passyunk Ave that's the " happening" part of
S. Philly right now.

And, wee, that you liked Fairmount/Spring Garden. Fairmount never needed gentrification on any major scale and Spring Garden is at the tail end of it.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:

It was quiet because it's still winter and, I assume you weren't here in the evening. Once it gets warmer all the al fresco dining with folks sitting out on sidewalks will start and the vibe will pick up. Piazza at Schmidt's, in No.
Lib. has festivals during the summer that always draw a lot of people.

You didn't mention how old you are your wife are. That might matter wrt where you end up if you decide to move here. Spring Garden/Fairmount is quite family oriented. Lots of young people with young children. But I think any millennial would be comfortable. I'm on the older side of the Boomer generation and my demographic is definitely in the minority in the area.

If you visit again, you should check out University City which is about schools there( Penn, Drexel, USP and the Restaurant School) but also has great neighborhoods.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 PM

155 posts, read 164,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It was quiet because it's still winter and, I assume you weren't here in the evening. Once it gets warmer all the al fresco dining with folks sitting out on sidewalks will start and the vibe will pick up. Piazza at Schmidt's, in No.
Lib. has festivals during the summer that always draw a lot of people.

You didn't mention how old you are your wife are. That might matter wrt where you end up if you decide to move here. Spring Garden/Fairmount is quite family oriented. Lots of young people with young children. But I think any millennial would be comfortable. I'm on the older side of the Boomer generation and my demographic is definitely in the minority in the area.

If you visit again, you should check out University City which is about schools there( Penn, Drexel, USP and the Restaurant School) but also has great neighborhoods.
We are both 26. We are looking for more of a quieter neighborhood but not really ready for the suburbs! I really like where we stayed near Washington Square Park but we also have a car and we want to avoid the struggle of finding a spot.

The only thing I didn't like about all the areas was there wasn't a huge amount of space to walk the dog. We are lucky up here in Manhattan that we have Riverside Park so close and I felt in Philly it was a lot of city walking which is annoying when out walking a dog.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
We are both 26. We are looking for more of a quieter neighborhood but not really ready for the suburbs! I really like where we stayed near Washington Square Park but we also have a car and we want to avoid the struggle of finding a spot.

The only thing I didn't like about all the areas was there wasn't a huge amount of space to walk the dog. We are lucky up here in Manhattan that we have Riverside Park so close and I felt in Philly it was a lot of city walking which is annoying when out walking a dog.
Philly rentals are still somewhat affordable compared to NYC or DC but that's changing. Condos in Fairmount are selling for 300-400K. There's one listing I saw in the neighborhood just south of Spring Garden/Fairmount going for over 500K. That would have been unthinkable less than 10 years ago. Parking is always an issue in these areas. I got rid of my car because I hardly ever used it. I walk or take pub trans. The places I go to in the 'burbs are easily accessible by pub trans. I'm a senior so I can ride for free.

Fairmount is "next door" to the largest urban park in country, Fairmount Park. Lots of space for dogs.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philly rentals are still somewhat affordable compared to NYC or DC but that's changing. Condos in Fairmount are selling for 300-400K. There's one listing I saw in the neighborhood just south of Spring Garden/Fairmount going for over 500K. That would have been unthinkable less than 10 years ago. Parking is always an issue in these areas. I got rid of my car because I hardly ever used it. I walk or take pub trans. The places I go to in the 'burbs are easily accessible by pub trans. I'm a senior so I can ride for free.

Fairmount is "next door" to the largest urban park in country, Fairmount Park. Lots of space for dogs.
Yeah we definitely noticed that Philly rentals are creeping up a little bit. Our budget is a max of $1800 for a one or two bedroom. Places like Fishtown and South Philly had really nice and updated apartments but the closer we looked to the city the older and less desirable they looked.

We would love to find somewhere with easy parking though. We like to go on small trips and use the car a lot as we have a 70 pound dog. Plus my line of work makes it necessary for me to have a car.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM

Can anyone give me some information on the area around 29th and Girard? We saw a nice apartment around there but not sure if it is safe or not.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah we definitely noticed that Philly rentals are creeping up a little bit. Our budget is a max of $1800 for a one or two bedroom. Places like Fishtown and South Philly had really nice and updated apartments but the closer we looked to the city the older and less desirable they looked.

We would love to find somewhere with easy parking though. We like to go on small trips and use the car a lot as we have a 70 pound dog. Plus my line of work makes it necessary for me to have a car.
I think it might be wise for you to look in University City too. It's not just about students and you might be able to get "more" wrt your budget. It does lack newer housing beyond the schools' main areas but it's got a ton of history and diversity. Parking is a bit better there.

You should also check out the Graduate Hospital area. Folks your age seem to like it from what I hear. GH is named after a former hospital and part of it has been converted into new housing.

One thing about older housing here: don't necessarily judge what you see on the outside as to what's on the inside. Lots of places have been rehabbed and are nicely appointed.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Can anyone give me some information on the area around 29th and Girard? We saw a nice apartment around there but not sure if it is safe or not.
That's Brewerytown. Brewerytown has been in the midst "changing" for a long time but never quite gets there. Why? Because of Strawberry Mansion, which is still a pretty bad, unsafe, place, is right next to it. It's a shame because Brewerytown has a lot of potential with a revival on Girard Ave. It also illustrates the block to block "weirdness" of Philly. Poplar St, just south of Girard Ave., is fine but it's neighbor is Fairmount.

Francisville, next to Fairmount and Spring Garden, has made big and rapid changees in less than 5 years. Lots of new housing and it gets "spill over" from both. A couple of years ago I would not have recommended looking there but today I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia