Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
We are both 26. We are looking for more of a quieter neighborhood but not really ready for the suburbs! I really like where we stayed near Washington Square Park but we also have a car and we want to avoid the struggle of finding a spot.

The only thing I didn't like about all the areas was there wasn't a huge amount of space to walk the dog. We are lucky up here in Manhattan that we have Riverside Park so close and I felt in Philly it was a lot of city walking which is annoying when out walking a dog.

I truly think that Farimount would suit you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I truly think that Farimount would suit you well.

Agreed. 29th and Girard is just too far. It is smack in the middle of the Sharwoods redevelopment so hopefully things turn out better in a few years when Ridge Ave. is rebuilt through the backside of the neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:43 PM

184 posts, read 370,523 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some information on the area around 29th and Girard? We saw a nice apartment around there but not sure if it is safe or not.
I drive thru that part of Girard Av frequently, it's getting better especially the past 2 years. I now patronize a few businesses there, Rybrew sandwich shop, Brewerytown bicycles, Spot Burger just opened last month and Crime and Punishment brewpub. Aldi's and a PA state liquor store are very nearby. My friends buy 6 packs from the Non Stop Beer store paying thru a plexiglass window.

I wouldn't consider it clean though, litter prevails and loitering is seen. It's a mix of black and white residents. A long time ago, I heard Girard Av was referred to as a Mason Dixon line, north was bad and south was OK.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
Quote:
Yeah we definitely noticed that Philly rentals are creeping up a little bit. Our budget is a max of $1800 for a one or two bedroom. Places like Fishtown and South Philly had really nice and updated apartments but the closer we looked to the city the older and less desirable they looked.

We would love to find somewhere with easy parking though. We like to go on small trips and use the car a lot as we have a 70 pound dog. Plus my line of work makes it necessary for me to have a car.
Hi OP! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Philly! For what it's worth, I put together a little map of my (greater) neighborhood, southwest University City. I am 25 years old, a young professional out of college, and moved to Philly from a small town in southeastern PA. I've lived here since August and love it! The area I've outlined in black on my homemade map is where I believe you and your wife could find something you'll like. (Link is at bottom).

Livability: The general trend within this area is more southeast = wealthier, cleaner, grander, with the opposite trend as you go northwest. But like most areas in Philly, it can be block-by-block. The best way to get a sense of whether you'll like it is to check it out on your next visit. However, I've outlined some streets in green for you to check out on Google street view.

Housing Stock: As you'll see, this prototypical streetcar suburb is rich in tree-lined streets, large, ornate duplexes, row homes, and large (4-10 story) prewar apartment buildings. I can highly recommend my landlord, a property management company called Greenzang. Check out their listings online under 'University City.' You could get a 3-bedroom apartment with all utilities included (but no off-street parking) for less than $1500. I've also seen lots of signs for New Age Realty.

Neighbors/Cultural mix: People here go about their own business but are polite and friendly when you engage them. It's an eclectic mix of many cultures and incomes. You'll find Penn/Drexel/USciences faculty and students of all backgrounds. On my block a Chinese Christian Church faces an Islamic Education Center, which is across the street from two duelling Lebanese restaurants. Close by, Muslim and Dominican grocers rub elbows with Asian-owned laundries, Greek pizza shops, Ethiopian restaurants, hipster joints and small-floorplate national chains.

Parking: Here it can sometimes be a challenge--if you're not lucky enough to have resident permits on your block or a garage or driveway to park in, you may need to park a few blocks away from your home on a regular basis. 46th street seems to be the dividing line--for now, anything west but still within the black box has relatively easy street parking, even in the evenings. You'd have to look into the specifics, but at 40th and Walnut, above the massive 24-hour Fresh Grocer, (a red point-of-interest mark) is a multi-level parking garage. You might be able to get a monthly space there.

Transit: Of course, public transit here is great. The route 34 trolley runs down Baltimore Ave and drops you right in the heart of Center City--the pro is that it's in a beautiful neighborhood, the con is that it's slower than the Market-Frankford Line. There are several bus routes like the 21 and 42, totally fine. And you can catch the MFL at 46th, the pro being that it's much faster than the 34 or the bus lines, the con being that it's a safe but somewhat ugly walk to the 46th street station from points south. (Google Maps does not yet reflect tons of new construction, from 46th and Walnut to 46th and Chestnut, which is quickly making the walk nicer.)

Personal safety: Not a big concern--you'll see that many row home neighbors have installed supplemental lights in their front yards, meaning the blocks are lit up super bright at night. In addition, there are yellow-uniformed supplemental security personnel on bicycles all over the place, at least as far west as 47th.

Education: The Penn Alexander school is highly regarded if you intend to have children, and I'm not exactly sure what the boundaries of the catchment are, but I know it overlaps at least some of the indicated area.

So here's the map! Do use it as a guide for exploring the neighborhood, and if you have any questions, please let me know!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...w.koXcdVLFM_Qc

Last edited by archandy12; 03-04-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:36 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
I drive thru that part of Girard Av frequently, it's getting better especially the past 2 years. I now patronize a few businesses there, Rybrew sandwich shop, Brewerytown bicycles, Spot Burger just opened last month and Crime and Punishment brewpub.
I was blown away by how many families were in Spot Burger last night. I also looked around the neighborhood off of 29th but closer to the parkway and it was really nice. I wonder where OP was actually looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia