Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 PM

18 posts, read 34,616 times

Advertisements

When are you moving?
June 2016

Where are you coming from?
Houston

Why are you moving?
New Job

Where will you be working?
Lankenau Medical Center Area

Have you been here yet?
Briefly,
Will you buy or rent?

Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Apartment, 1 bedroom 1300 ideal, will spend up 1500 for right place

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
No preference

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
As close to Lankenau Area

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single

Do you prefer public or private schools?
n/a
Do you have pets?
n/a
Do you want or need a yard?
no don't want one
Are you keeping a car?
don't want one
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I like the bustle / or access to bustle
What do you want to be closest to?
Work (within 15 minutes), Nightlife, train or subway for any guests so they can have easy access to the city when visiting

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
31 year old single professional, safe neighborhood would be nice

Hi y'all, I visited Philly a few months ago, stayed at my friends place in Upper Darby, by the subway. I don't think I liked that area. Any other options for me?

Any other areas for a early 30 year old single male professional, want to be within 15 minute drive of Lankenau Medical Center, access to the city for visitors (train?). I'm from Texas, I like my highways, quick access to downtown, so living next to interstate 76 looks appealing, but I'm flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_MD View Post
When are you moving?
June 2016

Where are you coming from?
Houston

Why are you moving?
New Job

Where will you be working?
Lankenau Medical Center Area

Have you been here yet?
Briefly,
Will you buy or rent?

Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Apartment, 1 bedroom 1300 ideal, will spend up 1500 for right place

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
No preference

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
As close to Lankenau Area

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single

Do you prefer public or private schools?
n/a
Do you have pets?
n/a
Do you want or need a yard?
no don't want one
Are you keeping a car?
don't want one
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I like the bustle / or access to bustle
What do you want to be closest to?
Work (within 15 minutes), Nightlife, train or subway for any guests so they can have easy access to the city when visiting

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
31 year old single professional, safe neighborhood would be nice

Hi y'all, I visited Philly a few months ago, stayed at my friends place in Upper Darby, by the subway. I don't think I liked that area. Any other options for me?

Any other areas for a early 30 year old single male professional, want to be within 15 minute drive of Lankenau Medical Center, access to the city for visitors (train?). I'm from Texas, I like my highways, quick access to downtown, so living next to interstate 76 looks appealing, but I'm flexible.
You will find out pretty quickly that there is no comparison between the highways you're used to in Houston and I76!

Anyhow consider staying close to Lankenau. Ardmore, Wynnewood, Narbeth, Bala Cynwyd. There's easy train access into Center City Phila. from all of them. They all are no more than a 15 minute drive to/from Lankenau.
They're all close to shopping, super markets and restaurants.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:42 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
So wait, are you keeping a car or not? You state you don't want to keep a car but then say 15min drive to Lankenau. And 15min drive severely limits your options anyway. I would say the only areas that would be within 15min and have some things to do would be Ardmore or Narberth which both have downtown areas but not necessarily a super bustling nightlife. They're on the Paoli/Thorndale line though so you can catch that into Center City.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
If you don't want a car, you'll want to live within walking/biking distance of any of the stops for the Route 105 bus. Here's a link to its weekday schedule: SEPTA | Route 105 | Paoli to 69th Street Transportation Center | Weekday | to 69th Street Transportation Center

Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Thank you for the suggestions I'll map them out for my visit in a few weeks

I will be keeping my car, but since I expect to have a few visitors, I wanted a location where they could go out to the city center while I worked without relying on me

Appreciate it all!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,854 times
I chuckled when I read "so living next to interstate 76 looks appealing".

Dude, just make sure your commute doesn't involve I-76 and you'll be fine. I-76 is the 10th circle of hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You will find out pretty quickly that there is no comparison between the highways you're used to in Houston and I76!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:41 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

Dude, just make sure your commute doesn't involve I-76 and you'll be fine. I-76 is the 10th circle of hell!
For once, I actually agree with you

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:

Right. He'll find out soon enough!

If he decides to live in the towns I suggested he won't have to deal with 76, regarding commuting, at all.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:

We just need to change a couple of letters to get to the truth: appealing -> appalling

Old 03-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right. He'll find out soon enough!

If he decides to live in the towns I suggested he won't have to deal with 76, regarding commuting, at all.
Thanks, for the heads up about 76!

I looked into the towns suggested and will be flying in to take a look in the next few weeks and hopefully sign a lease

Narrowed it down for now to a few to a few apartment complexes in Ardmore, Wynnewood and Bala Cynwyd, per everyone's recommendations.

Hopefully I can find what I am looking for!

While it is tempting to live in the city center, (single and 31) I don't think it will be smart to commute (even though I think it will be a reverse commute?) considering + extra taxes + parking and what I'm assuming will be higher rents.

I've gotten recommendations from the future boss if I'm considering living in the city (He thinks it is a good idea considering my marital status + age bracket) to "consider Center City or Fairmount, or Queen Village, or Fishtown or another real Philly neighborhood and I would personally recommend against the neighborhoods of Manyunk and Roxborough" so going to start researching those places just in case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia