Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:26 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

OP, may I ask what specifically prompted you to post about this? Were you almost hit? Or you just don't like people speeding, in general?

Also let's remember aggressivedriving and distracteddriving are two different things. Of course a driver can do both at the same time -- but they're not the same.

I will say I have VERY GOOD peripheral vision. BECAUSE I'm aggressive -- I am also aggressively PAYING ATTENTION.
If there adult getting into a car -- there COULD BE kids around.
If there are bikes and toys out -- there COULD be kids around.
If you see a person parked in a car (you can see their head above the headrest. or them reading inside the car) -- then a COULD open.
And of course a cop could be sitting anywhere.

I usually am the most courteous of aggressive drivers. Not so much distracted. But I am always in a hurry. But working in DC for the past 20 years -- I have become more and more impatient. (I still come home to Philly once a month, so I'm in the Philly burbs often). And in DC between the foreign drivers who don't know where they're going or can't half read -- AND the cab drivers (DC is much more a cab city than Philly) -- AND the FOREIGN CAB DRIVERS -- AND the just normal people who don't obey signs ….don't single a turn. (turn signal, what's that?), stop on a dime in the middle of the street (to pick up a taxi fare), make left turns where there's "NO LEFT TURN," make U-turns in the middle of the block -- because they COULDN'T make a left turn back at the light…..

…..I am personally done with cutting anyone a break.
-- You let someone in front of you, let's say a cab -- and they go five feet and stop to pick up a fare, or they want to make a left into a driveway on the other side of the street
-- You let someone in and they c r e e p and THEY make it through the light and YOU get stuck…
-- You let some one in and they get to the light -- they have NOT SIGNALED -- and they want to make a left hand turn and you're stuck behind them, can't go around because of traffic --and again they may or may not even make it through the light. The light will turn green, and because of facing traffic they technically are turning when the light is turning RED, and AGAIN you're STILL stuck at this damned light for ANOTHER cycle.

IF I'm running late, all bets are off. If I've got plenty of time to fool around with people who creep, don't signal, don't move over, then I'm not so aggressive. But even then I can only take it for so long before I've got to go around them and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,790 times
So why I posted this, frustration. This morning is a great example. So, I am exiting a strip mall onto a two lane state road, no signals just a stop sign on exit. As I am waiting a car is slowing down to make the turn into the mall from the road. Another car is following behind, is obviously pissed that this car needs to slow down to make the turn and cuts around while laying on the horn. Now seriously, was the turning driver suppose to attempt to make the turn at speed so the car behind would not have to apply the breaks? Its a state road with several intersecting roads so you will have cars slowing down to turn off and cars to turn on. My passenger agreed that the horn honking was clearly unnecessary.

Now the story doesn't end there. After we both commented on what just occurred I pull out onto the road and a mile down I now need to turn off. I signal and begin to break. Then I am met with the same, the car behind me lays on the horn.

Now lets be serious. Drivers such as these are clearly jerks, self centered, and only caring about themselves. There are other drivers on the road other than you. This isn't your personal express way. The speed limits and signs where not put up for you to act as if they are suggestions and not meant for you. The fact that you are running late or didn't plan ahead is not my concern nor should it be for anyone else on the road.

Also, am I combining aggressive driving and distracted driving? YES! Both are a result of the "My life is more important than yours" mentality.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
You began to break? If I were you, I'd see a doctor about that.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Its a big city/metro with boatloads of busy people fighting for precious space on crowded roads. What do you expect? I have to drive on Market St., 76, 676, and 95 every day at rush hour to get to work. Doing that every day will make even the calmest person a aggressive, no BS kind of driver.

Last edited by MB1562; 08-06-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 10:21 PM

133 posts, read 162,624 times
It's hard to drive around these areas, period.

Unusually narrow lanes. Virtually no shoulders. Roads in terrible condition. Never any passing allowed on 2-lane roads. Speed limits almost exclusively <=35 MPH. And police here do not use radar, so there is little speed enforcement. Add to that ridiculous population density and drivers that love cruising in the left lane and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've spent the past 12 years of my life here memorizing back roads. I stay off the mains as much as possible due to these issues. I grew up in South Jersey and the drivers there are much, much better. That should say a lot. But the lanes are also wider and roads have shoulders.

The problem is Philadelphia itself. It's too old and the highway system is awful since they are just glorified, widened horse-and-buggy roads. There's just nowhere to get anywhere. How do you get from King of Prussia to South Philly? There is one way, and it's a narrow, 4-lane road with tons of twists and turns - and as a consequence it's alwayyyyssss backed up!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
I totally agree. The roads here are hazardous. Drivers have to contend with potholes, man-hole covers or drainage grills. And on top of this they are narrow, hilly and winding. The descents can be treacherous. As I cyclist and motorcyclists I think our roads are dangerous. With the foliage, visibility is further reduced around the bends and then you have hidden driveways all over. The intersections are also raised and it makes it even more hazardous.

I'd say I found the drivers to be much better than other places I have lived. And this is taking into consideration that the roads are congested. However, I think drivers here drive a bit too fast. Especially for the road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Unusually narrow lanes. Virtually no shoulders. Roads in terrible condition. Never any passing allowed on 2-lane roads. Speed limits almost exclusively <=35 MPH. And police here do not use radar, so there is little speed enforcement. Add to that ridiculous population density and drivers that love cruising in the left lane and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've spent the past 12 years of my life here memorizing back roads. I stay off the mains as much as possible due to these issues. I grew up in South Jersey and the drivers there are much, much better. That should say a lot. But the lanes are also wider and roads have shoulders.

The problem is Philadelphia itself. It's too old and the highway system is awful since they are just glorified, widened horse-and-buggy roads. There's just nowhere to get anywhere. How do you get from King of Prussia to South Philly? There is one way, and it's a narrow, 4-lane road with tons of twists and turns - and as a consequence it's alwayyyyssss backed up!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:04 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
the horrible distracted and aggressive driving is much more prevalent in the tri-state areas of PA,NJ,AND NY

having driven extensively throughout the south,central and western states----i detest driving in these areas(although surprisingley,nyc driving is not so bad thanks to police presence)

i have learned to drive defensively constantly here---but my middle finger is beginning to wear out!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The roads here are hazardous. Drivers have to contend with potholes, man-hole covers or drainage grills. And on top of this they are narrow, hilly and winding. The descents can be treacherous. As I cyclist and motorcyclists I think our roads are dangerous. With the foliage, visibility is further reduced around the bends and then you have hidden driveways all over. The intersections are also raised and it makes it even more hazardous.
The roads are definitely horrible as you mentioned which even adds more confusion as to why drivers insist on this dangerous driving. Its very often when I have to turn left on a two lane and have to wait for oncoming traffic and with very little shoulder people still insist on going around me with very little space, or if I am at one of these crazy five point intersections with no visibility and there's a lot of "gun it and run it"s.

To that point, if there are dangerous sections of roads are there places you can report these all will anything ever get done?

Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Its a big city/metro with boatloads of busy people fighting for precious space on crowded roads. What do you expect? I have to drive on Market St., 76, 676, and 95 every day at rush hour to get to work. Doing that every day will make even the calmest person a aggressive, no BS kind of driver.
That's what's happened to me in D.C.

I always did tend to speed a little. But driving in DC has made me not give a crap about letting people in when they want to get in from to me. If they're coming on to the road from an on ramp, I'll do all I can to make them wait until I pass. They think it's their RIGHT to just come into the lane. Have they never heard of YIELDING to traffic that's already on the road and IN that lane? THEY are the one's who need to wait until they can enter the road and not impede the flow of traffic!!!

The main thing I notice about Philly traffic when I'm there (every few weeks) -- is how much the volume seems to have increased. It seems like rush hour is starting earlier and going later. Then again I'm always on the Schuylkill -- which is under construction -- AGAIN!!! so that has traffic backed up. Philly has LOST population from decades ago, so why is traffic so bad?!

Quote:
How do you get from King of Prussia to South Philly? There is one way, and it's a narrow, 4-lane road with tons of twists and turns
How to do go? Are you talking about the Blue Route or the Schuylkill? Because even with all their issues, to be fair neither can in anyway be considered a narrow, 4-lane road.

Look people just need to accept : Philly is a long, tall, city against and straddling multiple rivers and mountains. The way it's laid out, its location, and the fact that its infrasture was originally designed the way it is…..make east west and north south traveling challenging. I live right by the Philly Airport…so every time I need to go to the Northeast…..yep the only convenient way is 95. That construction at Girard and Aramingo and Castor is STILL years away from completion. Try driving in THAT every day. I'm not going to cross over to Jersey just to have to come BACK over the Betsy Ross. What kind of sense does that make?

I love Philly, it's my city. It is what it is. You want to blow out the mountains? Are YOU going to get Montgomery County to raze Conshohocken and Gladwyne so you can widen the Schuylkill? You want to build lanes OVER the Schuylkill?

I remember when there WAS NO Blue Route and you had to go trough the city to get to KOP….and Vine street before they created the 676 expressway under it. So improvements HAVE been made.

Last edited by selhars; 08-08-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 AM

592 posts, read 461,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Spot on. For being in the same county, the haul even from the county seat (Doylestown) to lower Bucks is a royal pain in particular, since the only multi-lane road connection is Street road, and it's an endless and daunting red light gauntlet. My friends in lower Bucks are always surprised that I can get to North Philly from central Bucks just as quickly as I get to places in lower Bucks (by utilizing 202 to the 309 expressway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia