Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,817 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a family friendly area near Philly for our young family. My husband and I are in our mid - late 20's with a 3 year old and 6 month old. I'm from MA but we currently live in SC. My mom and siblings now live in the Lehigh Valley area so I am looking forward to being close to them.

A little bit about us..
We would love to only need one car so we are looking for a walkable area.. close to shops, restaurants and family activities. We live a healthy lifestyle so access to healthy foods and fitness centers would be great. Safety and schools are also a big concern.

Would Manayunk be an option for us? How family friendly is that area? Any other areas we should look into?I love Chestnut Hills but with a budget of around 250k, that isn't a option.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 9,384,835 times
Where will you be working?

Manayunk is fun, but not my first option, however that price point wouldn't work in many other areas.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM

I work from home as a health coach. My husband is looking into a few different options.. Possibly Norristown. He currently has a 50 minute commute and is fine with that but doesn't want to go over that.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,563,244 times
Manayunk is a popular stop for coffee and pastries for cyclists riding to and from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseacarabo View Post
We live a healthy lifestyle so access to healthy foods and fitness centers would be great. Safety and schools are also a big concern.

!

Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Copy/paste the questions in the following thread into this one and answer them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html

Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM

When are you moving? Putting house for sale here in February
Where are you coming from? Florence, South Carolina
Why are you moving? Family is in Lehigh Valley, too slow of a pace here, awful schools
Where will you be working? I work from home, my husband is looking for jobs in Quality
Have you been here yet? Been to Philly once

Will you buy or rent? But
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House or Townhouse - 250k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Married Do you have children? 2 kids under 3
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? A Boston terrier
Do you want or need a yard? Small yard would be great
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activities

What do you want to be closest to? Shops, restaurants, farmers market, gym

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I would like to live where there is an abundance of families with young kids.

Coke or Pepsi? Yuck, neither!

Old 10-28-2016, 05:42 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,537,679 times
Yes, Manayunk is family friendly and there are plenty of things to do for families with young children. Plus it's a very active community with trails, hikes, gyms, etc. That being said, you have to keep in mind that Manayunk is a real mix of people and generally skews younger with lots of party people. The closer to Main St you are, the more you will see beer bottles all over the streets and have to deal with the riffraff of drunk kids. It is very safe and you can definitely find a house in that price range. There are plenty of families in Manayunk but if you're looking for a place that is *just* for families, Manayunk would not be it.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 AM

9,398 posts, read 9,384,835 times
Based off the answers provided, I would lean more toward the suburbs. Tons of families, highly regarded schools, more recreation, and better environment than Manayunk for families. If you are set on being in/super close to the city Manayunk is a good choice, plus 250k won't get you much at all if you choose a suburban area with a downtown.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. We definetly want to be in a walkable area with a fun downtown. We are fine with a mix of different people / ages, but it is important the area is family friendly with other kids around for ours to make friends with. I read good things about Dobson elementary, but are there preschools in that area?

Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,563,244 times
Community reviews can be far much different from test score ratings. Most Philly public schools have poor test scores. If you are looking for a good school, refer to the test score ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseacarabo View Post
I read good things about Dobson elementary, but are there preschools in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia