Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia a Rust Belt City?
Yes 30 26.32%
No 76 66.67%
Depends 8 7.02%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I always thought it made sense for New York City and Philadelphia to become a part of New Jersey and become a super state.
As a New Yorker, I'd be down for this. Maybe include Long Island and Philly's PA burbs too.

Yeah North Jersey and South Jersey are different, but not as different as NYC + Long Island vs. Upstate NY, or Philly vs. the rest of PA

Albany and Harrisburg often favor the rural communities over the cities. Imagine how much influence NYC and Philly could have over this new state. Trenton is also kind of in the middle of both cities too. NJ would go from being one of the worst states to one of the best! Obviously this will never happen though.

But really I think PA would be a completely different + much less interesting state without the Philly region tbh. That's where most of the state's history, image/identity, and economy comes from. Philly is really PA's only big, really major city. Yeah there's Pittsburgh, but it's a small city. I think Philly would probably have an even bigger impact on the state if it weren't right in the corner too. Really only a part of the Philly metro (outside the city itself obviously) is in PA. The rest is in Jersey and Delaware.

And what's with this idea that people in BoWash corridor think they're better and constantly look down on everyone else? I don't know anyone that actually thinks or says things like that.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 11-02-2016 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:44 AM

311 posts, read 314,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Why was this thread moved from the General Forum? the thread was meant for a national perspective not a local one?

Who moved it here?
I don't know. Would have liked for it to stay where it was, but one of the mods probably moved it for whatever reason.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I don't know. Would have liked for it to stay where it was, but one of the mods probably moved it for whatever reason.
I sure didn't move it here and think the title has nothing to do with what you all are talking about now...Whoever moved it didn't give me a heads up either. I'm not really sure where this belongs, but general demographics for a large region doesn't really belong in Philadelphia either.

Raising hand...As a Lehigh County resident, I would NOT like to be part of either NYC or Philadelphia. Although I think both cities are enjoyable to visit, we have our own style, heritage and culture in the Lehigh Valley.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:33 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
As a New Yorker, I'd be down for this. Maybe include Long Island and Philly's PA burbs too.

Yeah North Jersey and South Jersey are different, but not as different as NYC + Long Island vs. Upstate NY, or Philly vs. the rest of PA

Albany and Harrisburg often favor the rural communities over the cities. Imagine how much influence NYC and Philly could have over this new state. Trenton is also kind of in the middle of both cities too. NJ would go from being one of the worst states to one of the best! Obviously this will never happen though.

But really I think PA would be a completely different + much less interesting state without the Philly region tbh. That's where most of the state's history, image/identity, and economy comes from. Philly is really PA's only big, really major city. Yeah there's Pittsburgh, but it's a small city. I think Philly would probably have an even bigger impact on the state if it weren't right in the corner too. Really only a part of the Philly metro (outside the city itself obviously) is in PA. The rest is in Jersey and Delaware.

And what's with this idea that people in BoWash corridor think they're better and constantly look down on everyone else? I don't know anyone that actually thinks or says things like that.
I think the Philadelphia area would be even more overshadowed if it were in a small state with NYC. The most beneficial would be SE PA, South Jersey, and DE as a state.

Actually the majority of the Philly metro is in PA. The biggest economy, the most people, the best of everything is one the PA side. NJ and DE tag along after.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Of course not. But there's one poster from Pittsburgh who pops in every so often repeating this meme. It's best to ignore her, but once in a while it's fun to poke the bear.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:04 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think the Philadelphia area would be even more overshadowed if it were in a small state with NYC. The most beneficial would be SE PA, South Jersey, and DE as a state.

Actually the majority of the Philly metro is in PA. The biggest economy, the most people, the best of everything is one the PA side. NJ and DE tag along after.
I know that the majority of the metro is in PA. The point I was trying to make is that since Philly is right in the corner of the State, a large part of the Metro ends up being in other states. If state lines were redrawn to include the rest of the Philly metro in South Jersey and Delaware (which is a huge portion of it) then the Philly metro, which is already the economic engine of PA, would be contributing much more to the state than it already is. Or even if Philly were moved away from its corner, with the Metro staying the same size around it.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
I know that the majority of the metro is in PA. The point I was trying to make is that since Philly is right in the corner of the State, a large part of the Metro ends up being in other states. If state lines were redrawn to include the rest of the Philly metro in South Jersey and Delaware (which is a huge portion of it) then the Philly metro, which is already the economic engine of PA, would be contributing much more to the state than it already is. Or even if Philly were moved away from its corner, with the Metro staying the same size around it.

Ook, hey I am in full support of splitting off SE PA, and if SJ and DE want to join, sure, we can all be merry. Too bad that will never happen.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:49 AM

93 posts, read 96,434 times
Quote:

I realize there is little love between Pennsylvania's state anchor cities by some.
But Pittsburgh still gives off a much bigger look, then stats in population might denote. Especially in its downtown with skyscrapers and major stadiums. It also has a larger chunk of PA in its influence. As I said before in this thread. Basically once you cross west across the Susquehanna river. Influence virtually all goes to Pittsburgh. That's nearly 2/3's of the state. That also includes mighty little State College a wealthy region and Erie to Williamsport.

But my relatives living east of the river. Have the regions Sports fans split about 1/3 at least as Steelers fans. In their television, their local cable channels they get are from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. One from Philly is Action News channel 6. But it's only under their low-definition local channels listings. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has most influence in the Central Susquehanna River Valley. And east of Scranton through the Pocono's, and down to Allentown goes toward NYC in influence and CSA. Philly gets South of Bethlehem/Allentown to Hershey/Harrisburg area and south Jersey.

I do agree that Philly would have a much bigger influence in the state if more toward central PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Agree. In the 5+ years I've lived here, I have found Philadelphians have more in common with our siblings to the east and north than with our cousins to the west. Without Philadelphia, PA would resemble Kentucky: a rural state anchored by a third tier rust belt city.
The reason some perceive Philly as a Rust-belt city is in appearances of much grit in many neighborhoods clearly visible and older industrial areas. Doesn't mean it literally is placed in the Rust-belt in some map? Heavy industry like Steel. Was mostly north in the Allentown/Bethlehem area that is included in the Rust belt. So technically it may be no. But it still has its gritty side and leftover industrial remnants that give appearances of one.
Philadelphians also don't like being held by old stereotypes it sees as derogatory. No city does. But appearances say a lot to visitors and they sometimes see it as Yes looks like a in the Rust-belt city.

But really, Philly did share its choice and styles of housing with the rest of PA. As every older small city in most of the Eastern half of PA clearly are majority Row-homes.
Especially the coal region of eastern PA from Scranton to near Harrisburg to near Reading. It can appear like parts of Kentucky. You use it though, in a lessening of importance insinuation the state would be without Philly? But it appears this way in many depressed small older cities of mountainside Row-homes anyway as your Kentucky look comment denotes. Even WITH Philly's influence.
But its sadly true, that Philly gets less love in much of PA then it deserves. Old stereotypes in part to blame that still did not go away even in degrees still visible in the city.
When young and I lived for some time in PA. Really the most I knew and saw of Philly was from the bus going through Philly and over the Ben Franklin to Atlantic city and the rest of the Jersey shore. My school trips went to Harrisburg and DC museums over Philly.

Honestly, PA can be PROUD to have both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in their state.
This picture does not look like a Smaller city's downtown. That of Pittsburgh
Attached Thumbnails
Is Philadelphia a Rust Belt City?-nighttime-downtown-pittsburgh.jpg  

Old 11-04-2016, 07:36 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Agree. In the 5+ years I've lived here, I have found Philadelphians have more in common with our siblings to the east and north than with our cousins to the west. Without Philadelphia, PA would resemble Kentucky: a rural state anchored by a third tier rust belt city.
And Philly Boosters wonder why they're NOT taken seriously. Its ignorant jabs like this.

"A 3rd Tier Rust Belt" that has a stronger Middle Class and Upper Middle Class than Big Bad, but VERY POOR Philadelphia.

Notice Pittsburgh is 28 and Philadelphia is 58 - and Yes RightonWalnut this is ONLY City Metrics, leaving the Burbs out of this. Pittsburgh still has a much stronger Middle and Upper Middle Class. Straight from the Horses mouth Brookings.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...s/#interactive

And Pittsburgh's only getting more wealthy as more and more tech companies, set up shop in big ways ... Pittsburgh is well on its way to being a Automation and Robotics headquarters with Powerhouse tech companies such as Google, Apple, Disney, Uber, Intel and now Amazon has opened research offices here. We're is this momentum in the city of Philly, oh that right you guys were busy trying to get UberX Banned.

What is Philly claim to Fame in Tech, besides being the HQ of the most hated company in America (CONCast).

http://time.com/money/4163703/comcas...rnet-provider/

http://www.dailydot.com/via/why-comc...mpany-america/

Quote:
Pittsburgh needs to stop its population decline - their entire region, not just the city - if they want to improve their economic contribution to the state:

"Among the nation’s 30 largest metropolitan areas, Pittsburgh is the only one deemed to have fewer people on July 1, 2015, than were counted during the official 2010 census. The region is estimated to have lost 5,051 people last year and 3,240 overall since the official count, despite small gains from 2010-12."
Census shows population decline in Pittsburgh region | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
What are you talking about ... Pittsburgh contributes more to the state coffers than Philadelphia (the City) does.. Philadelphia takes from the state coffers, the City is a huge Welfare recipient. The Collar Counties around Philadelphia keep Philadelphia from going bankrupt that's where all the economic prosperity is at, in the Burbs.

Did you miss the part about Allegheny county pays more in state taxes than it actually get back from Harrisburg. Only Montgomery County pays more taxes than Allegheny, a Philadelphia suburb, NOT THE CITY.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 11-04-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about clearly. I'm not putting a funny spin on it. Philadelphia's economy is actually growing, and adding jobs and carrying Pennsylvania on it's back, unlike the Central, Northern and Western portions of the state which are stagnant or in decline in both jobs and population.

Poverty - especially deep poverty - has very little to do with the economy. Poverty is a deeply entrenched generational thing, and generations of people are born into it. These people are born and live in very poor areas, in poor school districts where they cannot get good opportunities and cannot get a good education. The vibe and mentality of the area tends to not help either, as parents are absent, kids are surrounded by violence, crime and drugs. Usually they do not go to college, and do not have the education and qualification to land a well paying job. A lot end up on drugs - those that don't have jobs which are minimum wage or low paying. This is a problem that goes far, far, far past "Oh, just create some jobs for them!"... which is why I said it has little to do with the economy.

And typical Western and Central PA attitude... you think Philly has a growing poverty rate? On the contrary, Philly and the surrounding area is doing better than anywhere else in the state. The poverty rate is actually declining, albeit slowly. Crime is declining, the city is rebuilding. Philly is growing in jobs and population.

But oh, us liberal city dwellers over here! All we are is poor, poverty stricken, moochers. LOL
You gotta be one of the biggest freakin' homers I've ever seen for any city. Philadelphia's mass poverty is a huge problem for the entire country it's so bad. Philly is considered the poorest big city, out of the top 10 largest cities. It just has an above average amount of 1 percenters which equates to a high rate of income equality, compounded by the fact that we're talking about a very high cost of living area. Read this little article sunshine :

A guide to the Philadelphia DNC that media won’t show you, from extreme poverty to police misconduct - Salon.com

"The Part of the Obama Legacy Nobody Talks About

When the Democrats picked Philadelphia to hold their convention they were selecting to celebrate in a state that is a kind of ground zero for the continued rise of wealth inequality nationally.

According to a study by Keystone Research, “during the economic expansions of the 1980s (1982- 1990) and 1990s (1991-2000), the bottom 99 percent of families in Pennsylvania captured between 64% and 65% of overall income growth in the commonwealth.”

But by the 21st century, Keystone reports income growth had become even more skewed. “The bottom 99 percent of families captured just over half of all income growth from 2001 to 2007.”

And it gets worse. “In the current economic expansion, which began in 2009, the bottom 99% of families have lost ground so far and the top 1 percent has been the only group to see its real incomes rise in Pennsylvania. As a result the top 1 percent of earners in Pennsylvania have captured more than 100% of overall income growth (124.4% to be precise).”"

Philly children and poverty

Unrelenting Poverty Leads To 'Desperation' In Philly Schools :

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/21/246413...phia-s-schools

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-04-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia