Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:55 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me why Septa cops aren't more visible? Seriously as I get older I would feel better if I saw them more often on, say, the BSL. So far I am able-bodied and have no serious physical liabiIities. But I am a senior and I travel alone on transit most of the time.

I've been riding the BSL for over 20 years almost daily and, I swear, I only see cops during school afternoon dismissal times...roughly from 2:30-5:00 PM weekdays. I never see them any other times. Not mornings. Not early afternoons. Not evenings. Not weekends.

So what are they doing the rest of the time? And where do they actively patrol other parts of Septa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 03:56 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Don't they use plain clothes officers that blend in with the crowd?

Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
I see SEPTA police fairly often at Broad and Erie, Olney Transportation Center, Suburban Station, and Market East Station - as well as patrolling the concourse.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I see SEPTA police fairly often at Broad and Erie, Olney Transportation Center, Suburban Station, and Market East Station - as well as patrolling the concourse.
Okay, but septa has , you know, moving vehicles that carry thousands of passengers a day. It's those trains, trolleys, and buses where potential problems may also happen. Sure patrolling stations is important but I'm trying to understand the logic of not actually deploying cops on the very things that septa is about.

I did forget about plainclothes cops.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
You're right in that they are rarely visible on the BSL. The only time I ever see them is during the school dismissal time, evening rush hour, and occasionally on weekend over-night trains. Most of the time their heads are buried in their phones and they aren't paying attention to anything going on around them.

I have noticed though that they are much more visible on the El, especially around the University City and Center City stops. They are more frequently in stations and riding trains at all times of day.

You never, ever see them on trolleys or at trolley stations, which is concerning considering they carry almost 100,000 people a day as well.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:51 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Back when I lived in the city, I would rarely see Septa police or Philadelphia police at stations or in open public spaces.

Since moving to NYC, there are police everywhere: street corners, subways stations, directing traffic, walking the streets, etc. Obviously NYC has more security concerns, but I have never felt in danger or uncomfortable walking the streets of Manhattan. I cannot say the same for Center City, Philadelphia. If Philadelphia wants to improve its safety and prevent embarrassing "flash mobs" from happening on prominent streets, the city needs more police.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Don't they use plain clothes officers that blend in with the crowd?
I hope not. They are not trying to break up some drug syndicate. Uniform officers would likely deter all but the unbalanced from causing any problems.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You're right in that they are rarely visible on the BSL. The only time I ever see them is during the school dismissal time, evening rush hour, and occasionally on weekend over-night trains. Most of the time their heads are buried in their phones and they aren't paying attention to anything going on around them.

I have noticed though that they are much more visible on the El, especially around the University City and Center City stops. They are more frequently in stations and riding trains at all times of day.

You never, ever see them on trolleys or at trolley stations, which is concerning considering they carry almost 100,000 people a day as well.
Trolley stations have no septa personnel at all except for 30th St. Can we believe surveillance cameras are working in those stations?

I don't ride the El as often as the BSL so I'm not seeing them.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Back when I lived in the city, I would rarely see Septa police or Philadelphia police at stations or in open public spaces.

Since moving to NYC, there are police everywhere: street corners, subways stations, directing traffic, walking the streets, etc. Obviously NYC has more security concerns, but I have never felt in danger or uncomfortable walking the streets of Manhattan. I cannot say the same for Center City, Philadelphia. If Philadelphia wants to improve its safety and prevent embarrassing "flash mobs" from happening on prominent streets, the city needs more police.
Well, the NYPD is the largest police force in the country, right? 35,000 or something like that. And, I think the MTA transit cops are Port Authority...not sure though. Anyhow it's a huge number of people.

Tbh, I don't feel in danger walking around or riding septa right now. BUT my concern is the future when I may actually be frail.

The PPD, last I heard is down 200 officers. The current commisioner is not like Charles Ramsey. I don't think he has anywhere near Ramsey's competency level. We did have a flash mob problem at the beginning of the Nutter admin. The problem disappeared. Now, for whatever reason, it's back again.

And you are correct, in Mahattan cops are everywhere. Why don't we see cops on bikes regularly in Rittenhouse? Why does something have to happen, someone calls 911, then they show up? Again I think it's about leadership at the very top. PPD always got better when someone from outside the dept was brought in to shake things up.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I hope not. They are not trying to break up some drug syndicate. Uniform officers would likely deter all but the unbalanced from causing any problems.

Here you go.

SEPTA | Police | About Us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia