Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:10 AM

23 posts, read 30,798 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (2 kids are grown and on their own), manage OK on her retirement pay from the IRS (she took early retirement for health reasons) and my pay as a Claims Examiner with the VA with 11 years of service with 89K a year, owning a row house in pretty good shape that's appreciated in value to about $110K in the lower Northeast in Wissinoming near the Tacony border with reasonable mortgage payments in a neighborhood with nice neighbors, and owning a nice newer-model car, so someone making around 100K a year with a family would probably be able to do even better. Our retirement plans include eventually buying a second slightly larger home cash from my 401(k) in Northeast PA near Shenandoah, Shamokin, or Girardville where my family originally came from when I am near 60 to use as a vacation/weekend house when visiting family up there (I'm 55 now) and moving up there when I retire around 66 or 67 and renting out our Philly house for additional income so it can stay in the family for one of my kids to pick up when my wife and I pass on. Sorry for the long dissertation, but, yes, it's more than possible to love nicely in Philly for around 99K a year depending on the neighborhood; Fishtown may be a good choice...a Lodge Brother/friend of mine lives there and his home value has appreciated a tidy bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 08:36 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
That would be pretty tough on a $99K income with kids though.
Yeah, but the girlfriend will also be working ... If she makes say 40k a year, it could be easily doable.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddok View Post
My wife and I (2 kids are grown and on their own), manage OK on her retirement pay from the IRS (she took early retirement for health reasons) and my pay as a Claims Examiner with the VA with 11 years of service with 89K a year, owning a row house in pretty good shape that's appreciated in value to about $110K in the lower Northeast in Wissinoming near the Tacony border with reasonable mortgage payments in a neighborhood with nice neighbors, and owning a nice newer-model car, so someone making around 100K a year with a family would probably be able to do even better. Our retirement plans include eventually buying a second slightly larger home cash from my 401(k) in Northeast PA near Shenandoah, Shamokin, or Girardville where my family originally came from when I am near 60 to use as a vacation/weekend house when visiting family up there (I'm 55 now) and moving up there when I retire around 66 or 67 and renting out our Philly house for additional income so it can stay in the family for one of my kids to pick up when my wife and I pass on. Sorry for the long dissertation, but, yes, it's more than possible to love nicely in Philly for around 99K a year depending on the neighborhood; Fishtown may be a good choice...a Lodge Brother/friend of mine lives there and his home value has appreciated a tidy bit.
Are you saying you want to take an early distribution from your 401k( you will have to pay penalties, I believe, if you do this before you are 59.5 years old) to buy a second a home? Unless you absolutely have to I would not take that distribution if I were you. Continuing to build your retirement fund makes more sense, jmo.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 30,798 times
I'll only be taking out the money **after** 59.5...possibly not until I retire at 66. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
Real estate can be considered as a financial asset and it's possible to use your 401K to invest in rental property without taking an early distribution. This is something I would like to do but the problem is the administration of the property.

Most financial firms are set up to manage stocks, bonds and mutual funds, so the fees from managing RE make it prohibitive unless one has a yuuuuuge 401K investing in a a good number of rental units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddok View Post
I'll only be taking out the money **after** 59.5...possibly not until I retire at 66. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM

59 posts, read 47,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Yeah, but the girlfriend will also be working ... If she makes say 40k a year, it could be easily doable.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. $99k with a kid might be doable, but there's not gonna be much cash left for going out or even buying in a nice area. If the girlfriend finds a decent job, you'll be fine. Having just spent 10 years in Fishtown, it's an awesome area for someone in their late 20s who wants places to go out for dinner/drinks, good bakeries (Philly Style Bagels- amazing, Little Baby's Ice Cream, etc...) and it's still kind of affordable. We sold out 2 bedroom rowhouse back in the spring in the $240k range. Or go a bit further north in a slightly less developed hood, but you'll get more bang for the buck and much nicer appreciation. Skip Manayunk- bro central. Passyunk East is another walkable area with lots of great places to stroll along the avenue, about a 15% premium on Fishtown. Center City is beyond reach unless you want to rent. University City is pricey and less walkable, but very pretty and a lot leafier. Best thing you can do is get a realtor and visit some neighborhoods.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Again these post are ludicrous. I have never made more than 26k on my life. And you wonder if you can survive on 99k. Oy vey!!!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsclaw88 View Post
Fair point. Thanks everyone for the input. Any suggestions for alternate suburbs outside of Lower Merion school district and wayne-radnor school districts?

I assume there has to be some good school districts in close proximity north/south of philly.
Check out Media. Great schools, easy public trans to the city, very walkable, beautiful parks, and lots of really cool shops, restaurants, and bars. They also do a lot of festivals and such.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Again these post are ludicrous. I have never made more than 26k on my life. And you wonder if you can survive on 99k. Oy vey!!!
I'm constantly wondering if people in these discussions live on the same planet as me - let alone the same city/metro area.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
LOL! I get exactly what you're saying. " My wife and I earn a combined 167k a year, can we live afford to live in a nice neighborhood??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia