Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 AM

840 posts, read 694,103 times

Advertisements

FOX 29 Investigates: Homeless at SEPTA's Suburban Station - Story | WTXF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
There's another story about it in today's philly.com issue.

I walk through there most days and, yes, it's worse. There have always been homeless in the station waiting area and concourse though. But not as bad as now. And, yes, closing Love Park for construction is probably part of why they're in the station. Once contruction is finished it will probably be " policed" like Dilworth Park and they won't be able to "hang out".

It's a rough situation, locally, but the homeless problem is much worse out west. I used to love San Francisco. Not so much nowadays. Why? Bums on the street.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Imo it's a mentally ill problem more so than a homeless problem. Homelessness is a symptom of being incapable. These people are often not with it all.

The reason they chose Suburban Station is Project Home's Hub of Hope storefront is right there. They hang around there. Some cities have made homelessness illegal in an attempt to physically relocate people legally. Homelessness is not illegal. SEPTA can't just move people unless they are caught in the act of committing a crime.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
The weekend is the worst. You can't even find a bench to sit down on in the concourse because there are homeless sleeping on every bench. Something should be done, but obviously it should be done legally.

Even though something is open to the public, there must be constraints. For example, if I tried sleeping on the ground in the middle of Dilworth Park, someone would say something to me...right?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM

377 posts, read 474,836 times
From the proposed budget: https://twitter.com/PhillyMayor/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

$1m for 83 housing units.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 PM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
I agree, my wife is there daily and had noticed an uptick long before this article but like you said if most of these folks are mentally impaired I'm not sure what options are available. It sounds like (according to the article) it got worse because SEPTA P.D. was told their hands were tied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Imo it's a mentally ill problem more so than a homeless problem. Homelessness is a symptom of being incapable. These people are often not with it all.

The reason they chose Suburban Station is Project Home's Hub of Hope storefront is right there. They hang around there. Some cities have made homelessness illegal in an attempt to physically relocate people legally. Homelessness is not illegal. SEPTA can't just move people unless they are caught in the act of committing a crime.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
From the proposed budget: https://twitter.com/PhillyMayor/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

$1m for 83 housing units.
$12k per unit?

Is the city using shipping containers or something?

Or is it buying one of these 3D house printers?

I'm glad they're trying to make the dollars go farther, but I must admit to being surprised at these figures. No conventionally built housing would cost that little.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:48 PM

388 posts, read 474,377 times
My guess is they are probably renovating a structure, such as an old hotel.

Add in a few grants and some tax breaks and 83 small studio acts for $1m could be done. I've been researching doing just this.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:27 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The weekend is the worst. You can't even find a bench to sit down on in the concourse because there are homeless sleeping on every bench. Something should be done, but obviously it should be done legally.

Even though something is open to the public, there must be constraints. For example, if I tried sleeping on the ground in the middle of Dilworth Park, someone would say something to me...right?
"The law, in its infinite majesty, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, beg for alms and steal bread." -Voltaire

Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"The law, in its infinite majesty, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, beg for alms and steal bread." -Voltaire
I'm a big fan of Voltaire. And I agree with his sentiment. Challenge is that the poor/mentally ill exist, and they're sleeping under ground and begging for money in Suburban Station. The intention in my post was to indicate that I'm not advocating for something inappropriate to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia