Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times

Advertisements

Every city has its crime. You have only anecdotes to demonstrate it occurs in Philly. Once again - no stats.

I get that you firmly believe "city living has lost its luster." Are you trying to convince us to join you in that sentiment, are you trying to convince yourself, or are you just trolling and grandstanding? I put my money on the last one.

So . . . is there anything new you'd like to share before issuing warning to your "adult son?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
I don't want to say you are over blowing the situation but if I was leaving in the city, the last thing on my mind is being attacked by a flash mob. I'd be more concerned about burglary and other types of property crime such as car break-ins, car getting hit when parked on the street, kids keying cars, etc.

I do't get your fascination with the flash mobs, which are very rare and probably related to the election rhetoric, but I do sense some racial overtones.

For males, unless you are hanging out with the wrong crowd, in the wrong places and at ungodly hours, chances of being a victim of crime is very low. For females, it's a different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Dates were October, November then January so I dont think its a random period Dirty. I was looking for meaningful dialogue over this and it has run amok from people earlier acknowledging (and agreeing) that they were aware of these attacks and that there was a potential issue. Now its gone to me making up this issue and/or exaggerating the problem even though I've provided news articles showing that these events have been occurring and were in close proximity to each other. I think at this point all meaningful dialogue has happened and the people who are "trolls" are those who are now calling me racist and such..

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
Seems like among other things running amok is denial on these forums, guess thats the only thing new I'll share. When New Yorkers became fed up with crime they elected someone to office who would take control (and did). It seems as though people here are content or dont want to voice concern..Oh and before this becomes a political forum I'm not pro-republican even though it happened to be a republican who turned NYC around.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
When I was single I always rented downtown, I loved the hustle and bustle.

I'm older now 61, husb is 71 and we own a 1900 sq ft home in a development. I am constantly amazed at how quiet it is.

I may return one day if I'm left a widow, but for now, I am content with my peace & quiet.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Philly homers are going to get infuriated by this article

Commentary: Philly's suburbs are thriving - and attracting millennials
Nope, not really. They're staying in/moving to/within the metro area. They're not moving to the lower COL parts of mid-America that you think they should.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 7,715 times
Those are three anecdotes and 2 of them aren't even in center city. Crime in the city has been going down for a very long time. It sells for the news to make the city look like it is a warzone ready to explode. People have posted facts that crime is down and you have ignored them. If you actually spent time in and around center city you would realize it is very safe. I have been out in center city at every single hour except between 3 and 4 am and I can count on one finger any time I may have felt slightly uneasy and still nothing happened to me. So there is my anecdote. If you really want to find out for yourself, take a train in and walk around, center city is an amazing place to be right now.

Also if you listen to the news they will have you think that Port Richmond where I am from is another warzone. Headlines will read shooting in Port Richmond and then I will look at the actual streets and it will say on Jasper st or I have even seen Kensington ave and nobody from there will ever say that it is port Richmond.

Bottom line is the news media's ratings go up if they show every little thing that goes bad. If you don't want to be in the city fine, thats your perogative and I can't say you are wrong for that, but don't be spreading these false narratives that center city is a place flash mobs happen all the time. Its simply not true

Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Seems like among other things running amok is denial on these forums, guess thats the only thing new I'll share. When New Yorkers became fed up with crime they elected someone to office who would take control (and did). It seems as though people here are content or dont want to voice concern..Oh and before this becomes a political forum I'm not pro-republican even though it happened to be a republican who turned NYC around.
Crime - since 2013 - is at 40-50 year lows in Philadelphia. Were you complaining about crime the past 50 years? Why are you complaining about it now that it's at it's lowest point in half-a-century. Of course crime could be even lower, but it's not going to change over night. So many things need to change, like public schools, poverty, etc. - this isn't something where you can snap your fingers and it's gone overnight.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
It is true that there aren't many "wilding attacks" at all. You might even say they're rare.

But personally, I don't want to the a victim of that "rare" attack. Only each person can decide whether the 'chances' of it happening -- or the chances of the person being that victim -- are worth not going to a given area.

The chances I'll get hit by lightening in a rain storm under a tree -- are rare also. But I still wouldn't stand under a tree in a storm.

Last edited by selhars; 02-08-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
Ha ha ha. You want me to post a link of the fastest growing states? Look it up and see for yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Nope, not really. They're staying in/moving to/within the metro area. They're not moving to the lower COL parts of mid-America that you think they should.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
What do you suggest people do? We have a weak, institution-based mayor. We have a lousy city council, with built in "prerogative" (aka making decisions they don't own and should have no right making), and we have the standard US of A urban problems that most other countries don't have because they value their urban centers.

I did not vote for Kenney, stay informed and vote against corrupt city councilmen/women, shop/eat locally, ride transit/support SEPTA, help clean my neighborhood, work and live in the city and pay taxes, vote for positive school change, etc. Most importantly, I enjoy living in this city, love my neighborhood, my downtown, and the cool and beautiful things that happen here. I also try to report crimes and fortify my neighborhood to keep the reduced crime out alongside my neighbors.

Only thing you're doing is arguing that the good things that have occurred over the past 10 years (e.g. booming downtown and neighborhoods, REDUCED CRIME, etc.) aren't enough, and then you're telling us we're all in denial. Please, tell us what your brilliant plan is. And please don't tell me it's "not living in the city". Because that does NOTHING to help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia