Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM

161 posts, read 273,938 times

Advertisements

Apart from all the touristy things to do, what are other things a visitor should do in Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
the philly judo club

Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Eat and drink in various neighborhoods. There is so much good food throughout the city.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times
Just as a plug, many of the “touristy” things, such as the Art and Rodin Museum, Constitution Hall, South Philly Barbacoa, are totally worth it.

I’d highly suggest checking out the Clark Park neighbored, an area few tourists think to visit. It is a charming park with many events, public chess, etc. After going to an event there, you can walk to the shops, bars and restaurants along Baltimore Ave. I highly suggest Dahlak for Ethiopian, Cedar Park Cafe for breakfast, and Dock Steet Brewery for local brews.
http://www.friendsofclarkpark.org/ca...in-clark-park/

Germantown is also often overlooked by visitors and it is highly historical. You can check out the rad cafe and bookstore “Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books” and head out for a hike in the wild Wissahickon Park, if that’s your thing.

Enjoy!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebin View Post
Apart from all the touristy things to do, what are other things a visitor should do in Philadelphia?
There are theaters that show non general public movies.

The waterfront area: Spruce Harbor Park, Summerfest, Cherry Street Pier, Race St Pier, Fringe

A real Chinatown.

The Rail Park

Go to neighborhoods that aren't in the obvious historic core: Manayunk, Queen Village, Fishtown, N. Liberties, Fairmount

There are dozens of restaurants. Don't stick to boring chains.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Just as a plug, many of the “touristy” things, such as the Art and Rodin Museum, Constitution Hall, South Philly Barbacoa, are totally worth it.

I’d highly suggest checking out the Clark Park neighbored, an area few tourists think to visit. It is a charming park with many events, public chess, etc. After going to an event there, you can walk to the shops, bars and restaurants along Baltimore Ave. I highly suggest Dahlak for Ethiopian, Cedar Park Cafe for breakfast, and Dock Steet Brewery for local brews.
http://www.friendsofclarkpark.org/ca...in-clark-park/

Germantown is also often overlooked by visitors and it is highly historical. You can check out the rad cafe and bookstore “Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books” and head out for a hike in the wild Wissahickon Park, if that’s your thing.

Enjoy!
Rather than "Constitution Hall" I think you mean either Independence Hall or the Constitution Center.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Rather than "Constitution Hall" I think you mean either Independence Hall or the Constitution Center.
Haha thanks

Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
80s Escape Room, restaurants on 13th St., explore Fabric Row for its Fabrics, try any cheesesteak place that is NOT Pat's, Geno's, or Jim's on South St. (I like Jim's), look for local area gatherings through meetup.com

Old 08-14-2019, 12:25 PM

192 posts, read 161,012 times
Explore some of Center City's 'hoods like Rittenhouse or Fitler Square or Society Hill.

I'm still shocked at how infrequently I see tourists exploring a place like Rittenhouse Square. Wander down Delancey from 18th Street to the River, etc. I live in Fitler Square and have never, to my knowledge, seen a tourist there. These are gorgeous urban spaces with their own amenities. Even Society Hill - basically a perfectly preserved 18th Century paradise - the amount of tourists you'll see on a Tuesday afternoon is minimal, and often contained to buggy riders. I rarely see tourists on the Schuylkill River Trail -w which is one of the city's best (and with the boardwalk unique) amenities.

The City does a poor job promoting itself - so these beautiful spaces - within a few blocks of the hotels where most tourists are staying - go completely unnoticed. Meanwhile, they are crawling up and down a decidely ugly stretch of Market and Chestnut East in droves.

This is typically how I travel as well. I've visited places like Paris and Madrid so many times that I've long since abandoned doing "touristy" things. I pick a neighborhood that I haven't explored yet and walk/eat/drink my way thru it for an afternoon. Experience how the locals eat/drink/live for a day.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 PM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
Take a walk on Forbidden Drive. Try some of the side trails if you feel up to it. Check out Morris arboretum. Walk along Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill. Grab a beer at Earth Bread Brewery or McMenamins in Mt. Airy. Grab coffee at Uncle Bobbies in Germantown.

Check out a comedy show at "good good" theatre in Chinatown. Go dancing with hipsters at the Barbary or 700 club. Go bowling North Bowl. Eat your way through the immigrant restaurants in N 5th Street in Olney. Enjoy cheap drinks at either Dirty Franks or Rays Happy Birthday Bar. Check out the African Restaurants in West Philly. Do karaoke at Queen of Sheba. Eat your way through east passyunk and don't forget the wonderful Vietnamese cuisine on Washington Ave, Mexican food in the Italian market, and Indonesian throughout. Enjoy a whimsically named beer at Evil Genius. Walk as much as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia