Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times

Advertisements

I agree with the OP.

Quite ironic one of the largest developments in Newtown Square is called.

"ellis perserve".

To be honest its a joke.

ALL development is not bad.

But unplanned development is a travesty.

Southeast Pennsylvania is a mess in terms of unplanned development.

My goal is to change all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I agree with the OP.

"ellis perserve".

To be honest its a joke.

You mean this?

If by "unplanned" here you mean this didn't fit in with some comprehensive plan put together by the township, well, the township never put one together, so no real reason to fault the developer.

Most of this project reworked what's already there. The major addition is the residential and retail at the southeast corner of the site.

I thought live/work/play and walkability were things we wanted. This development checks off those boxes now, though the pieces don't quite mesh as well as they do at the Village at Valley Forge.

Given what surrounds this, would you rather the developer simply rebuilt the office campus?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:40 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I agree with the OP.

"ellis perserve".

To be honest its a joke.

Wow this is the first negative post I have seen from you...

The Ellis Preserve development (as well as the nearby Toll Brothers community) are far from a travesty. They aren't groundbreaking, but the setup of retailers with nearby apartments and townhouses is an improvement over past town centers which are usually glorified strip malls. Not to mention the use of materials match the general aesthetic of the area.

I think overall Newtown Square has done a great job at handling the new large scale developments, and the Ellis Preserve plot isn't that large and directly abuts a very busy intersection that until recently didn't offer much.

Also, where is SEPA a mess with unplanned development???? Most large scale developments are put thru the ringer before anything substantial comes out the other end. And the Village at Valley Forget is probably the best modern attempt at creating a live work play community.

I think the beauty of SEPA is that there is a limited amount of unplanned development, and most new development is put to much higher standards than development you would find in say Atlanta or Houston or even DC.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You mean this?

If by "unplanned" here you mean this didn't fit in with some comprehensive plan put together by the township, well, the township never put one together, so no real reason to fault the developer.

Most of this project reworked what's already there. The major addition is the residential and retail at the southeast corner of the site.

I thought live/work/play and walkability were things we wanted. This development checks off those boxes now, though the pieces don't quite mesh as well as they do at the Village at Valley Forge.

Given what surrounds this, would you rather the developer simply rebuilt the office campus?
That post threw me off too. Ellis Preserve could have been a suburban corporate center with a sea of parking lots, but the center has done a great job in the first phases of development.

My family lives 5 minutes from that corner. Great article btw, showcases the development quite well.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:00 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Just Curious How has neighboring Edgemont fared with all the NS development? Have they gotten on the development bandwagon or are they still relatively rural (comparatively)? I recall a decade or so ago, I frequently enjoyed the movie theatre there as it was one of the first in the area with the reclining seats. It's a huge township, and I know commercial developers must be drooling over it.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:45 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Just Curious How has neighboring Edgemont fared with all the NS development? Have they gotten on the development bandwagon or are they still relatively rural (comparatively)? I recall a decade or so ago, I frequently enjoyed the movie theatre there as it was one of the first in the area with the reclining seats. It's a huge township, and I know commercial developers must be drooling over it.
I first went there in (about) 2005 with friends who told me that it used to be nice.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
My parents live in that area, and when I am home, the development outside of that little radius in Newtown Square is not overwhelming.

In Edgemont there are a few new subdivisions, but they are generally larger more tasteful looking homes on large plots of land. I also see some large spec houses tucked away from the road.

Driving west toward West Chester from Newtown Square is a gorgeous drive, rolling hills, lots of trees, and a lot of beautiful homes. The only areas that are more bustling with development are near major intersection.

Route 3 and 252, Route 3 and 352, anywhere along 202 or Route 1, and then West Chester itself, but development in those areas is to be expected. I don't really understand why people cry and moan at the site of new homes on of 926 or a new shopping center along 202, it gives off a rather weird unwelcoming vibe.

But anyways, that whole stretch rivals the Main Line in its aesthetics and upkeep, such a beautiful drive out to the wineries in October.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I first went there in (about) 2005 with friends who told me that it used to be nice.
Still is nice.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Still is nice.
It is, but in a different way. If you grew up in the area, you saw houses and condo buildings dropped onto former farm fields.

Time marches on.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is, but in a different way. If you grew up in the area, you saw houses and condo buildings dropped onto former farm fields.

Time marches on.
But I don't condemn it. I am realistic, towns grow and change, homes are built. Edgemont is hardly busting at the seams, there is still plenty of hilly tree filled open land.

It is rather irritating when people say "it used to be nice" Then move!
Do these complainers realize the Edgemont/Newtown Square/Willistown/Thornbury areas are among the most prized in place to live in the state, even the country? I guess the grass is greener until people leave and realize what they left.

I really do not get the mentality at all? Do they want people to move out? Stop building houses? Then you have Chester...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia