Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 10,552 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to move from SC to be closer to my son in New York, but a little farther south and a lot cheaper, with public transportation that can get me all the way to NYC. * some of the suggested list details below

The best I've seen in a few weeks of clicking around is the Glenolden/Brookhaven area. The area looks pleasant but the houses all seem quite old. Burning question: Do insurance companies readily insure houses built around 1940? If not, is 1950 better?

Beyond that, any places I can look for unbiased information and lots of it? Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

The suggested questions:
When are you moving? 2017-2019 Need to get familiar enough with the area and kind of waiting for an old dog to die rather than moving her.
Where are you coming from? SC
Why are you moving? to be closer to my son in New York

Have you been here yet? no, but planning to visit in September

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house up to $250

Are you married or single? single woman, 60s

Do you have pets? 2 dogs
Do you want or need a yard? yes, a small one, fenced or fenceable for the dog/s
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm where my house is, bustling a few blocks away

What do you want to be closest to?

*Shopping
* Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
** Train or subway stations, low crime

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? what?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:35 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Brookhaven is almost entirely made up of post WW2 houses, 1940s-1960s, a few neighborhoods from the 70s-80s. Most homes fall right in that 250k range. Brookhaven is a perfectly fine middle class suburb, strip malls, grocery stores, close to highways, Philadelphia, New York. It borders some more well off suburbs but still maintains its affordability.

Glenolden is a much older, rather run-down area, closer to Philadelphia, but surrounded by less desirable areas. If you can find a home in Brookhaven go there 100%. A very quiet, generally older population, some familes, but a much nicer area overall. Within the past 2 years a brand new Giant, Shoprite, and Lowes opened, adding a refreshed energy to the shopping corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Hi. Don't know much about Glenolden other than it's rather crowded and run-down in spots. I live in Brookhaven in a pristine neighborhood in a small Cape Cod which I purchased for $190K last year. The housing stock ranges from aprrox the high 100s to the low 300s and you will have your pick of ranchers, colonials, split levels and so on. Many have decent-sized yards (mine does) which I have fenced for my dogs. Very dog-friendly community.

Although I much prefer to live "in the country," Brookhaven is extremely well-maintained and safe with an excellent Fire and Police force. Also, there are brand new shopping areas which include a great Pet Valu, Shop Rite, Giant (both grocery stores), LA Fitness, Starbucks and Lowes. It really brightened up the town, and housing stock moves quickly. Brookhaven also boasts one of the lowest tax rates in the county, and THAT'S a real plus. In neighboring Media, PA, our county seat, there are many restaurants and interesting shops to browse. It's a VERY cool little town with a nice vibe only a 10-minute drive away which you might really enjoy. There is a local, historical theatre in neighboring Rose Valley, The Hedgerow Theatre. Also Linvilla Orchards, one of the oldest farms in the country, is very lively with events, gift shops and practically right down the road, only a 5-minute drive.

Additionally, you can take the train (various stations very close in nearby neighborhhoods) to 30th St. Station and then go to Penn Station in NY from there. Not a bad ride at all.

Hope this helped a bit; I believe it will suit your needs very well.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 AM

PS: older homes have no trouble getting insurance in our county, as it is a pretty old county. There is a decent Walgreens Drugstore (I practically live there) right on the main street (Edgemont Avenue) and there are a number of varied churches within a 5-minute drive as well as Temple Ohev Shalom in neighboring Wallingford, the town right next to Brookhaven. Also, I believe, because of the good shopping and a recent national write-up that listed Brookhaven on one of those "Best Places" lists, I believe that home prices might rise. Better get goin' !

Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM

60 posts, read 63,896 times
A home built in the 40s will hold up a heck of a lot better than a home built in 2000. At the risk of sounding like my father: They just don't build stuff like they used to

Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly246 View Post
A home built in the 40s will hold up a heck of a lot better than a home built in 2000. At the risk of sounding like my father: They just don't build stuff like they used to
Agreed (my house was built in the late 30s). But when they built them like they used to they used know and tube wiring and wrapped pipes in asbestos. My house has a lot of the former and some of the latter. Both made homeowner insurance harder to obtain (and maybe more expensive - couldn't say for sure).
All things considered, I'd rather deal w/ knob and tube, etc. than live in some of the crappy new construction that's been vomited over Manayunk, Fishtown, Brewerytown, etc.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM

7 posts, read 10,552 times
Default Thank you!

This is very helpful. When I drop in in September, I'll start looking in Brookhaven. Maybe I should bring cash.

But nope, my old dog (about 13-14 years old, several health problems) is looking very tired today and I don't think I could put her through a move.

Again, thanks! If there are more replies, I'll thank you in a note to avoid cluttering the board.

ETA: If there are good house sitters in the area, if I saw something perfect I'd be tempted to grab it. But !taxes!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingisfun View Post
This is very helpful. When I drop in in September, I'll start looking in Brookhaven. Maybe I should bring cash.

But nope, my old dog (about 13-14 years old, several health problems) is looking very tired today and I don't think I could put her through a move.

Again, thanks! If there are more replies, I'll thank you in a note to avoid cluttering the board.

ETA: If there are good house sitters in the area, if I saw something perfect I'd be tempted to grab it. But !taxes!
Do you think the taxes are high? They are one of the lowest in our county. But if you want REALLY low taxes, you might want to consider the state of Delaware which is only about 8 miles south of Brookhaven, PA. No area in PA can compete with Delaware's taxes. As to the other types of things you wanted, I can't say, as I don't know the state that well.

If your fur baby is up for the trip, I utilize a fabulous Vet practice.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Do you think the taxes are high? They are one of the lowest in our county. But if you want REALLY low taxes, you might want to consider the state of Delaware which is only about 8 miles south of Brookhaven, PA. No area in PA can compete with Delaware's taxes. As to the other types of things you wanted, I can't say, as I don't know the state that well.

If your fur baby is up for the trip, I utilize a fabulous Vet practice.

Talleyville De is nicely developed. Right over the Pa border. Full of nice older affordable well kept developments.

Brookhaven? You are better off on the North side of town that borders Middletown Township.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 AM

11 posts, read 13,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingisfun View Post
Brookhaven, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Brookhaven? You are better off on the North side of town that borders Middletown Township.
Hey! Just wondering if you ever made it out to Brookhaven. If so, what was it like? I’m also interested in relocating there.

And rainrock, what are your thoughts on Brookhaven? I would love to know more. Any information will help.

Not sure if I can ask here, or if I should have private messaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia