Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times

Advertisements

They knew all along what they were going to do. They pulled this stunt to get the best tax deal they could of the places they had already picked.

I was looking into moving into western Queens. I love LIC/Astoria. Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Dang no one has posted here since June. I just read that Virginia and NYC were picked. I thought there'd be plenty of comment on it.
We recently talked about it on Phila 2035 thread. Also some folks from here talked about it on the General C-D city board. There's been an hq2 thread there for months.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
They knew all along what they were going to do. They pulled this stunt to get the best tax deal they could of the places they had already picked.

I was looking into moving into western Queens. I love LIC/Astoria. Oh well...
Of course they knew. Yep, I was just going to say, "Still interested in moving there wrt a teacher's salary even in NY?"

Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I can't believe they picked New York! Amazon indicated they wanted an area where there was affordability and need of jobs. New York doesn't fit that bill at all! If anything it will make it New York tens more expensive. They might as well have moved to Silicon Valley.
They "picked" NY back in Sept., 2017 just like they "picked" the DC area before that.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:44 AM

273 posts, read 207,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I can't believe they picked New York! Amazon indicated they wanted an area where there was affordability and need of jobs. New York doesn't fit that bill at all! If anything it will make it New York tens more expensive. They might as well have moved to Silicon Valley.
They indicated no such thing. That was all conjecture by others over the last 14 months.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:01 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Amazon picking cities on both sides. Comcast getting investigated by the DOJ for a possible breakup. Eagles missing the playoffs...

Lol.

In other news, goPuff has pledge 500 new jobs plus a new HQ at 3rd and Spring Garden.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-philadelphia/

Old 11-13-2018, 12:44 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Amazon picking cities on both sides. Comcast getting investigated by the DOJ for a possible breakup. Eagles missing the playoffs...

Lol.

In other news, goPuff has pledge 500 new jobs plus a new HQ at 3rd and Spring Garden.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-philadelphia/
Gotta love Trumps tweets about Comcast. Bet if Comcast endorsed him he would be cheering for their corporate growth and success.

I also think this is more of an NBS issue rather than Comcast, since Trump hates the media (left media that is)

Old 11-13-2018, 02:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
This is by far the worst case scenario for Philly when it comes to this Amazon situation. For them to pick two cities and have Philly right in the middle of that is definitely a slap in the face. Unless those jobs spread over to their outer suburbs that are closer to the Philly area or Amtrak really ramps up its high speed rail, very few people in Philly are willing to commute that far to take advantage of those new Amazon jobs. Amazon probably knew who they were planning on picking since the beginning.

Maybe Philly should ban or try to boycott all amazon products and services in the city for retaliation. I'd bet that would teach Amazon not to mess with Philly!

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-13-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This is by far the worst case scenario for Philly when it comes to this Amazon situation. For them to pick two cities and have Philly right in the middle of that is definitely a slap in the face. Very few people in Philly are willing to commute that far to take advantage of those new Amazon jobs. Amazon probably knew who they were planning on picking since the beginning.

Maybe Philly should ban or try to boycott all amazon products and services in the city for retaliation. I'd bet that would teach Amazon not to mess with Philly!
I think Nashville was picked as a way to "please" people too.

I also do not understand why Amazon didn't think Philadelphia was a good choice. We check every box, NYC might have a bigger check, but we also have the affordability over both of them.

I think the fulfillment center would have been great for Philadelphia, possibly providing opportunities for the working class.

Not saying I wish Amazon came here, but would be interesting to see the reasoning, if there is any....

But there may be hope for Philadelphia with GoPuff and articles like these... https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...k-will-benefit

Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Agree. This just reconfirms what an a###—-#@ Bezos is.
The only thing that makes Bezos slightly less egregious than Gilded Age people(e.g. John Jacob Astor, J.P. Morgan, George Widener or Benjamin Guggenheim, etc) is the 16th Amendment. Well, Republicans gave him a big tax cut so he kinda is like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia