Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,313,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Well that's bull**** behind the numbers. Just because there were more people arrested in MA than in Philly doesn't mean that more people SHOULD have been arrested in MA than in Philly.
Please. You have no way of knowing this. Talk about bull****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,777,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Please. You have no way of knowing this. Talk about bull****.
I was at Broad street after the win, so don't give me that crap. It took three people alone to pull down one light pole. And how many light poles were pulled down? The car being flipped? The gas station? Macy's? Traffic lights being swatted down? I saw some huge goon try, and fail, to pull a tree out from the sidewalk. Can you seriously say with a straight face that the 3 people who were arrested were the only ones who deserved it? You would be lying through your teeth, and you know it.

It's disgusting what a select few did, and i do emphasize that point that it was a few. Like 1%, or less, of the people celebrating. But it's also disgusting for anyone to be making excuses for that. I don't want to hear that "they were drunk" spiel. Normal, civilized people don't do that, and we shouldn't attempt to "normalize" it, whether it happens in Philly, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Oakland, or anywhere else. Alcohol is not the problem. Being starved of a championship is not the problem. Lack of decency and civic pride is the problem. Tons of people, including myself and my friends, were drunk that night, and we did none of that crap. I don't blame the alcohol for those who did...they are just simply awful people, and quite frankly any bystanders who cheered them on as they destroyed city property should also be ashamed.

I love Philly the city. The 1% of vandals who think that it's appropriate to destroy public property as a form of celebration clearly have a different mindset. They may love the Philadelphia Eagles to death, but they do not give a rat's ass about the actual city of Philadelphia as far as I am concerned. And anyone who tries to defend them or make excuses, learn to call a spade a spade. If you actually give a damn about Philly, you wouldn't be getting defensive.

Last edited by Leps12; 02-11-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM

^^^ I don’t care if you pulled down a light pole yourself. The fact is that the characterization of Phlliy sports fans lawless hordes is a tired, lazy narrative. You seem to have a lot of investment in perpetuating it.

Here’s the list of 50 top North American sports riots over the last 5 decades:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rts-tradition/. If you find any reference to Philadelphia I’ve overlooked, please point it out. Until you do, I’m done with your nonsense.

Now, back to the topic of HQ2.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,589,352 times
Quote:
Now, back to the topic of HQ2.
I was browsing the Amazon HQ2 site today and all they say about timing for the announcement is, "We expect to make a decision in 2018." Is that really all we have? Anyone have more grapevine info than that?

Old 02-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I was browsing the Amazon HQ2 site today and all they say about timing for the announcement is, "We expect to make a decision in 2018." Is that really all we have? Anyone have more grapevine info than that?
As best as I can tell, it’s all just speculative tea leaf reading. There are people who claim insider knowledge that it’s already in the bag for this or that city, including one of our own highly respectable posters. I’ll reserve judgement until we enter the next phase. I still contend that Philly’s qualifications place the city at the top of the list. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
As best as I can tell, it’s all just speculative tea leaf reading. There are people who claim insider knowledge that it’s already in the bag for this or that city, including one of our own highly respectable posters. I’ll reserve judgement until we enter the next phase. I still contend that Philly’s qualifications place the city at the top of the list. Fingers crossed.
Yup. Was wondering more about timing and if we're going to have to wait till December 31st to find out....

Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Yup. Was wondering more about timing and if we're going to have to wait till December 31st to find out....
I know you’re being facetious. I expect something along the lines of a “Final Five” will emerge sometime this year so they can see how much more money they can squeeze out of this. But I expect just one more round with the new headquarters named from the finalists.

Keep in mind that I don’t know any more about this than anyone else. I’m pulling it from you know where.

Cheers!

Old 02-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I know you’re being facetious. I expect something along the lines of a “Final Five” will emerge sometime this year so they can see how much more money they can squeeze out of this. But I expect just one more round with the new headquarters named from the finalists.

Keep in mind that I don’t know any more about this than anyone else. I’m pulling it from you know where.

Cheers!
LOL. Yup. He'll milk it as long as he can get something out of it.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM

13,257 posts, read 33,659,502 times
Quote:
I thought this topic might generate enough interest that it deserves its own thread. Philly is a logical site for Amazon to choose. It is centered squarely within BosWash, with more than 52 million people within easy reach in a matter of hours. This includes the nation's largest city and its capital less than three hours by train. It's by far the most affordable of the cities in such an important and prestigious region.

I would think for a second hub, Amazon would rather be located east for geographic balance, which rules out Texas and Chicago. Atlanta and more remotely, Charlotte, would be Philly's competition. Which brings me back to advantages BosWash has over those two locations.

I've lifted the 3Amazon-related posts in the Philly 2035 thread to start focusing Amazon discussion here:
So . . . Are we in this thing?
And - Back on topic! I gave everyone a pass on the off topic posts regarding Eagles fans and just deleted the posts. Any posts after this that are off topic may be given infractions so just don't do that. Please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM

82 posts, read 83,052 times
Since my comment got lost in the great purge, I just wanted to say again that I don't think Amazon coming to Philly would be a good thing. I'm not a fan of the control they seem to want exert in the places they set up shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia