Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:11 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Yeah, because traffic is always a good selling point. Did I mention how much litter and noise the Amazon employees are contributing to the neighborhood? Not to mention the parking spots they're taking up ... Plus, there's already been at least two violent crimes involving said employees. I wish I could leave yesterday. There are no positives to Amazon being here.
Well, we are getting beyond the thread title... but historically the river ward neighborhoods were "born" because of all the factories. Stuff you know, of course.

There was this revolutionary idea, which it was, of creating single houses for working class people who could walk or ride a trolley or the El to their jobs right there in those neighborhoods. Few had cars of course.

Tacony was a "company town" created by Disston Saw, for ex. The huge PhilcoFord plant in Kensington obviously impacted everything nearby...not just the jobs they created. The first full time job interview I had was at PhilcoFord in 1970.

So some of what I'm hearing from you is you don't like the idea of how a 21st Century company( a new kind of "factory")is changing your way of life too much and too quickly. I do understand that that is troubling you though.

Noise? Probably a lot worse when things were actually being made in the river wards. Certainly polution was a lot worse.

If Amazon HQ2 happens who knows how it would impact where you are right now?

Getting kinda back to the thread. There's a listing on trulia in Port R. for 300k. Others for 200k as a comparison to Bridesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
So some of what I'm hearing from you is you don't like the idea of how a 21st Century company( a new kind of "factory")is changing your way of life too much and too quickly. I do understand that that is troubling you though.
There is a class of people, all of them older (so far), who I describe as "Trapped in a World They Never Made."

My ex is one of these people; the chairman emeritus of Metrocorp is another.

They often comment on how we darker-hued sorts are ruining everything. (I'm sure some of you have read such comments from the chairman emeritus of Metrocorp on the first inside page of every issue of Philadelphia magazine.)

But I'll wager that there are examples of these among younger generations too.

And I'll allow that an uptick in crime in an area that has experienced little of it is unsettling no matter what class or color you are. Consider how the residents of Cedarbrook (um, upper East Mount Airy, thank you) reacted to a cluster of murders that took place there this past spring. The difference is, at least from what I can tell, no one in that latter neighborhood is talking about pulling up stakes yet.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Well, we are getting beyond the thread title... but historically the river ward neighborhoods were "born" because of all the factories. Stuff you know, of course.

There was this revolutionary idea, which it was, of creating single houses for working class people who could walk or ride a trolley or the El to their jobs right there in those neighborhoods. Few had cars of course.

Tacony was a "company town" created by Disston Saw, for ex. The huge PhilcoFord plant in Kensington obviously impacted everything nearby...not just the jobs they created. The first full time job interview I had was at PhilcoFord in 1970.

Noise? Probably a lot worse when things were actually being made in the river wards. Certainly polution was a lot worse.

If Amazon HQ2 happens who knows how it would impact where you are right now?

Getting kinda back to the thread. There's a listing on trulia in Port R. for 300k. Others for 200k as a comparison to Bridesburg.
What's the point here, kyb01? This post isn't making me feel any better about the negatives brought into the neighborhood from the bus companies and Amazon. The PPA lot isn't helping, either.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
There is a class of people, all of them older (so far), who I describe as "Trapped in a World They Never Made."

My ex is one of these people; the chairman emeritus of Metrocorp is another.

They often comment on how we darker-hued sorts are ruining everything. (I'm sure some of you have read such comments from the chairman emeritus of Metrocorp on the first inside page of every issue of Philadelphia magazine.)

But I'll wager that there are examples of these among younger generations too.

And I'll allow that an uptick in crime in an area that has experienced little of it is unsettling no matter what class or color you are. Consider how the residents of Cedarbrook (um, upper East Mount Airy, thank you) reacted to a cluster of murders that took place there this past spring. The difference is, at least from what I can tell, no one in that latter neighborhood is talking about pulling up stakes yet.
It's not always about race, MarketStEl ... Do yourself a favor and move past that type of thinking, you're better than that.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I would love to live in Queen Village or Passyunk Square

Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
I would stay in my current hood, Passyunk Square. But that's largely because Queen Village and Bella Vista don't have a subway line close enough for my liking. And I love Center City, but again, I want close access to a rail line. If that's the case, I'm stuck near Market or Broad in Center City, and those would not be places I'd want to live necessarily.

Actually, I take that back. I would live someplace on this block:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9471...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
East Passyunk...
Oooops! I'd like to update my answer to Passyunk Square. My youngest son's first apartment was at 8th and Tasker, and I became very fond of the neighborhood when he lived there. Quite walkable, close to the Broad St. line, lots of great restaurants and stores.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Oooops! I'd like to update my answer to Passyunk Square. My youngest son's first apartment was at 8th and Tasker, and I became very fond of the neighborhood when he lived there. Quite walkable, close to the Broad St. line, lots of great restaurants and stores.
It is a really great neighborhood. It has everything you could ever need within its bounds PLUS a good rail line. My commute for the last three years has been so consistent and easy. Only one time can I remember where the BSL had an issue/delay, and I decided to walk home.

The other benefit is that there are no colleges nearby AND the tourists we get are not too many in number nor are they the clueless tourists. The biggest drawback to the neighborhood IMO, is the lack of park space and the distance from either river.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Is there any new construction going on in Girard Estates? I don't think so.
Not that I know of either.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Chestnut Hill, Fitler Square or Society Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia