Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:40 PM

27 posts, read 38,594 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are considering moving here for a job. We will be moving from Denver and hope to find a similar type of acceptance because we are interracial. We are looking for good schools and a safe neighborhood to raise our children in. Any suggestions on where we should look? Thank you!

Mod cut - OP added this clarifying statement a couple of posts down, "My husbands job might be moving us to the Philly area"

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-19-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I'd suggest Lancaster; It has a fairly diverse population and a tradition of open-mindedness, in part due to its Mennonite and Quaker heritage. State College would be my second choice and while Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have a lot of closed minds, the Poconos to the east get a lot of transplants from New York and New Jersey. There are also some overlooked opportunities in Bloomsburg, Danville and Lewisburg -- two universities and a large hospital complex.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:43 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Do you have a job lined up? If so, tell us the general location.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 38,594 times
Hello, I am writing again because I don't think my first reply saved. My husbands job might be moving us to the philly area. I have never been to the East coast so I do not know how welcome we will be! Is Lancaster a fairly safe city? I will be booking a flight out to visit and see how we are perceived. Is the Jersey area more accepting? Thank you both so much for responding!!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMomX2 View Post
Hello, I am writing again because I don't think my first reply saved. My husbands job might be moving us to the philly area. I have never been to the East coast so I do not know how welcome we will be! Is Lancaster a fairly safe city? I will be booking a flight out to visit and see how we are perceived. Is the Jersey area more accepting? Thank you both so much for responding!!
Lancaster is at least an hour and a half commute from Philly, and is not really considered "Philly area". There is a separate Philly forum on here where it might be better to ask. In general, almost all of the Philly area is very progressive and accepting. People in Philly judge you on whether you are an a-hole or not, not what race you are or your husband or your family. LOL.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
There's a stock questionnaire on the Philadelphia forum that new arrivals can fill out and post to get advice on what communities in the Greater Philadelphia region might best suit them.

Given what you write about your household, you will probably be advised to check out the Mount Airy neighborhood in northwest Philadelphia. There are some other neighborhoods and communities that would welcome you too, but Mount Airy has the reputation.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Is this job in the City or one of the suburbs? Greater Philly has over 6 million people and is spread out over 6 or 7 counties in PA, NJ and DE. You need to be more specific as to where this new job will be. Also, what is your housing budget?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 AM

27 posts, read 32,112 times
The least of your concerns in most areas around Philadelphia will be your interracial family. Most people will barely notice it here, never mind care.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Yes, that moving to Philly form would help us help you.
If nothing else we need to know WHERE the JOB is, and what your budget is.
And what if any special factors you have such as special needs for kids, short commute, etc.

Given that you've never been to the East Coast, it seems like you're afraid of it.

I have to say that for me -- people in most places that I go in-and-around Philly -- wouldn't care about you being an inter-racial family.

Now, there might be some areas you wouldn't want to live in for OTHER reasons (commute, transport, crime, schools, etc)
But you guys being inter-racial shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
The least of your concerns in most areas around Philadelphia will be your interracial family. Most people will barely notice it here, never mind care.
Yes, this ^^^
Copy what you find in Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and post with your answers, reiterating your interracial family concerns somewhere in the post.
There are MANY places to live in the Philly metro area. The vast majority of your winnowing-down process will be due to budget, job proximity, etc. and NOT that a particular place has a history of racial rancor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia