Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times

Advertisements

anecdote battle...go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
funny, when I visit NYC I find the people far more rude, particularly waitstaff that often lack the basics of hospitality. the only difference is its nyc and people put up with that crap.
I don't find people in NYC to be rude at all. In order to be rude to someone, you have to acknowledge they exist in the first place.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,294 times
Default Philadelphia vs NYC

I was born in Philadelphia (although raised in the midwest). I have been to NYC plenty of times, and I am not a fan of that city. However, NYC shouldn't be compared to any city in the country. NYC should be compared with other great world cities like London, Tokyo etc. I don't understand why anybody from Philly would have an inferiority complex to NYC. Philadelphia has a lot to be proud of on its own merits.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I was born in Philadelphia (although raised in the midwest). I have been to NYC plenty of times, and I am not a fan of that city. However, NYC shouldn't be compared to any city in the country. NYC should be compared with other great world cities like London, Tokyo etc. I don't understand why anybody from Philly would have an inferiority complex to NYC. Philadelphia has a lot to be proud of on its own merits.
Exactly right, man!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I was born in NYC but have been living here in Philly for many years now.

I prefer Philly.

Every time I go back to NYC - my favorite uncle lives in Manhattan near Ground Zero (the soaring new World Trade Center 1 is nearing completion!) - I feel alienated. Why? I'm not sure ... even though I'm a big city boy, I feel NYC is just too big, too expensive, too crowded, traffic too intimidating, did I say too expensive?

Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
We pretty much had the same experience. It's cool that it seems to go on forever but it makes no sense why NYC just kept building out when other cities didn't. Building out doesn't make the quality better.

You could say we didn't even feel like we left philly, it was like an endless version of philly.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
We pretty much had the same experience. It's cool that it seems to go on forever but it makes no sense why NYC just kept building out when other cities didn't. Building out doesn't make the quality better.

You could say we didn't even feel like we left philly, it was like an endless version of philly.
LOL! What do you mean by that?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Philly owns South Jersey and NYC owns North Jersey.

Did I do it right?

Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM

275 posts, read 416,363 times
Philadelphia is a lot like Brooklyn in the 1990's before all the hype. Like Philadelphia, Brooklyn has a lot of history and used to have a strong blue collar identity along with somewhat of a Manhattan inferiority complex. In Brooklyn, it was pizza and bagels. In Philadelphia, it's cheesesteaks and water ice. Both have similar housing stock. But Brooklyn became what it is today because it's next to Manhattan. Contrary to what the NY Times says, Philadelphia will never truly become the next Brooklyn. But I think there are some similar trends happening.

A lot of the same types of people (artists, writers, hipsters, yuppies) who came to BK in the 1990's are coming to Philadelphia right now for the same reason: cheap rents. I think a lot of people figure it's better to live in a nice place in NoLibs/Fishtown or South Philly than it is to pay $1400/month to live in a rat-infested box in a bad area in Bushwick and risk getting stabbed every day walking to the L Train. Just because the overall crime stats are lower in NYC than PHL does not necessarily make it a safer place to be. We can't all live in Manhattan/Williamsburg/Park Slope

I swear every day some hipster is opening up yet another third wave coffee shop in Philadelphia. It's one of the few cities where there are actually traffic jams... involving just bicyclists. Not that all of this is a bad thing (that depends on your personal preference). All in all, Philadelphia's biggest draw is that it is emphatically not NYC.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
I don't think rittenhouse between the park and city hall is comparable to brooklyn. And because of that I don't think all of philly should be compared to a portion of nyc. It's city to city but philly lacks some dynamics because of not being super huge. At the same time it makes up for some things by having narrower streets etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia